Water Automation & Instrumentation Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 3.83 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 5.49 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||7.49 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Water Automation & Instrumentation Market Analysis
The Water Automation and Instrumentation Market size is estimated at USD 3.83 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 5.49 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 7.49% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The COVID-19 pandemic considerably hampered the production of water automation instrumentation at the beginning of 2020. This is because the lockdown imposed in several countries to curb the spread of the COVID-19 virus caused considerable disruptions in the global supply chain of the parts and components used in the water and wastewater landscape instruments.
- Managing operational costs emerged as one of the biggest challenges posed by stakeholders of the water industry, as the governments are imposing regulations, along with depletion of potable water resources. Expenses relating to labor and energy constitute the largest share in OPEX for water utilities.
- The increasing health concerns for preventing water-borne diseases among consumers augmented the consumption of bottled drinking water. Furthermore, this trend led to an increase in infrastructure development investments that support the water automation market.
- There has been an increase in the use of decentralized control systems, with the rise in the number of outstations and varied qualities of water in a region. Automation solutions, such as PLC, help in controlling pump station motor contactors, stirrer motors, and distributed valves, as well as to measure the pressure transmitter of the water.
- Water instrumentation solutions, such as liquid analyzers and level transmitters, are helping chemical and pharmaceutical industries maintain precision. The high prices of specific sensors might increase the cost of such instruments. However, reduced operational costs due to the users are expected to decline the total cost of ownership.
- Technological innovations include taking advantage of previously unusable supplies through improved water desalination and increased industrial efficiency through new water reclaiming technologies. A new breed of water tech automation solutions, especially the Internet of Things (IoT)-based control and monitoring systems combined with SCADA software for water management, are solutions that can be explored to help begin to solve certain issues.
Water Automation & Instrumentation Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Water Automation & Instrumentation Market according to our research experts:
Demand from Food and Beverage Industry to Witness a Significant Growth Rate
- The production of food and beverages requires a large amount of water, and water quality is crucial to product quality and operational reliability as water is one of the important raw materials in the food and beverage processing industry. The implementation of water and wastewater automation in the food and beverage industry can save significant revenues for the company along with eliminating errors and waste, enhancing efficiency and productivity, and expanding profit margins.
- Further, various companies in the Food and beverage industry are deploying various automation and instrumentation methods. For instance, a food processing plant in Peru was faced with natural groundwater contaminated with high turbidity and arsenic, making it unsuitable for use in food processing. AMI’s custom-engineered solution incorporates ultrafiltration membranes with pretreatment by coagulant and depth filtration, as well as chlorination of the filtrate to produce water meeting the customer’s high-quality standards for use in food product processing. The system is AMI PLC automated using a central control enclosure and touchscreen HMI operator interface.
- Moreover, instrumentation technology such as liquid analyzer, pressure measurement system, flow measurement system is being deployed in the food and beverage industry to reduce the volume of wastewater during the process by using the above-mentioned instrumentation technology when discharging products from the lines.
- Further, Raw water, process water or wastewater can be efficiently monitored with modular, space-saving analysis panels. This simplifies daily process integration and operation in the food and beverage industries.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United States to Account for Significant Market Share
- Plant managers generally do not have the time to study specifications and suppliers to find the solution to specific application requirements. To counter this requirement, vendors offer a complete product portfolio for water industry applications and instrument consultants' expertise.
- Originally vendors in the region offered a portfolio of level and pressure instruments for this industry segment, but recently, water analytical instruments have widened the range of tools to encompass all the technologies of water production and purification.
- Americans have become accustomed to receiving clean water when they turn on their taps and having waste disappear down their pipes. Yet, not many understand the complicated and expensive systems required to deliver those services. For instance, the United States has 26 miles of water mains, 1.2 million miles of water supply mains for every mile of interstate highway. That is just the drinking water system. There is nearly an equal number of sewer pipes.
- Thus, to maintain such a vast establishment and organized channel of the wastewater system, many companies are making strategic acquisitions to gain technical expertise. For instance, in May 2021, The TASI Group of Companies acquired Mission Communication, Norcross GA, to complement TASI Flow’s existing Asset Management and Wireless Connectivity Strategy, bringing a strong presence in the Water and Wastewater market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Water Automation & Instrumentation Industry Overview
The major players, include ABB Group, Siemens AG, Schneider Electric SE, GE Corporation, Rockwell Automation Inc., Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Emerson Electric, Yokogawa Electric Corporation, Endress+ Hauser Pvt. Ltd, EurotekIndia, Phoenix Contact, NALCO, MJK Automation, and Blue Water Automation. As the market is fragmented, there is a major competition between the major players. Therefore, the market concentration is expected to be low.
- November 2020 - PUB, Singapore's National Water Agency, issued ABB a contract for a complete site-wide plant monitoring and control system for the Tuas Water Reclamation Plant valued at USD 30 million.
Water Automation & Instrumentation Market Leaders
Schneider Electric SE
Rockwell Automation Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Water Automation & Instrumentation Market News
- May 2021 - Schneider Electric partnered with Roca Group to accelerate decarbonization. Roca Group, a world leader in the design, production, and commercialization of products, defines a new roadmap toward decarbonization, establishing a single, global strategy across the Group.
- March 2021 - General Electric Company unveiled enhancements to its CIMPLICITY and Tracker software that provide critical decision support for operators to make them more efficient. CIMPLICITY is an ideal solution for industrial companies building remote operations centers, including power and water utilities with multiple locations. New releases deliver increased integration with Proficy Operations Hub and Proficy Historian to provide centralized web-based visualization, control, and data in context.
Water Automation & Instrumentation Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Government Regulation to Save Water Resources and Energy
4.2.2 Increase in Adoption of Smart Water Technologies
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Lack of Skilled Personnel to Operate Instrumentation
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Assessment of the COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Water Automation Solution
5.1.6 Other Water Automation Solutions
5.2 Water Instrumentation Solution
5.2.1 Pressure Transmitter
5.2.2 Level Transmitter
5.2.3 Temperature Transmitter
5.2.4 Liquid Analyzers
5.2.5 Gas Analyzers
5.2.6 Leakage Detection Systems
5.2.7 Flow Sensors/Transmitters
5.2.8 Other Water Instrumentation Solutions
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Food and Beverages
5.3.5 Paper and Pulp
5.3.6 Other End-user Industries
5.4.1 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 ABB Group
6.1.2 Siemens AG
6.1.3 Schneider Electric SE
6.1.4 GE Corporation
6.1.5 Rockwell Automation Inc.
6.1.6 Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
6.1.7 Emerson Electric
6.1.8 Yokogawa Electric Corporation
6.1.9 Endress + Hauser Pvt. Ltd
6.1.10 Eurotek India
6.1.11 Phoenix Contact
6.1.13 MJK Automation
6.1.14 KROHNE LTD
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Water Automation & Instrumentation Market Research FAQs
How big is the Water Automation and Instrumentation Market?
The Water Automation and Instrumentation Market size is expected to reach USD 3.83 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 7.49% to reach USD 5.49 billion by 2028.
What is the current Water Automation and Instrumentation Market size?
In 2023, the Water Automation and Instrumentation Market size is expected to reach USD 3.83 billion.
Who are the key players in Water Automation and Instrumentation Market?
ABB Group, Siemens AG, Schneider Electric SE, GE Corporation and Rockwell Automation Inc. are the major companies operating in the Water Automation and Instrumentation Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Water Automation and Instrumentation Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Water Automation and Instrumentation Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Water Automation and Instrumentation Market.
Water Automation and Instrumentation Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Water Automation and Instrumentation market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Water Automation and Instrumentation analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.