|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Satellite-based Earth Observation Market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 8.3% over the forecast period (2021 - 2026). In order to see how Earth-observing missions could be further used to explore the effects of COVID-19, the European Space Agency issued a new call for proposals whose aim is to see how satellite data can be used, for example, to map changes around transport networks, commercial ports, and heavy industry such as oil refineries.
- Earth observation based on satellite offers value-added solutions to the businesses regarding the technical process, asset, and data management, which is likely to boost the market growth. Enhancement of equipment for geographical information and image processing has led to enormous improvisation in the performance and price of the tools, owing to which the adoption rate is increasing, thereby fueling the market.
- The use of the generated satellite images for various industries across diverse economic sectors and with a wide range of new applications, lower technology barriers, and the emergence of SMEs and startups in the imagery analytics market has brought a large-scale diversity in the market.
- However, despite many advantages offered through the data collected and value-added services from Earth observation, the presence of open data, like EOSDIS from the US, Copernicus from Europe, etc. is likely to act as a strong challenge to the market growth.
Scope of the Report
Satellite-based earth observation is done with the help of satellites orbiting around the planet to view and identify environmental changes, map making, etc. The satellite-based earth observation technology captures and stores information from satellites relating to the physical, biological, and chemical compositions of the Earth for monitoring, surveillance, and decision-making in various verticals, such as defense and intelligence, infrastructure and engineering, natural resource management, energy and power, and disaster management.
|Defense and Intelligence|
|Infrastructure and Engineering|
|Energy and Power|
|Other End-user Verticals|
|Middle East and Africa|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Need to Generate Big Data to Offer Accurate Insights into Earth Observation
- The earth observation industry is continually developing, anticipating a seamless integration of new technologies, sensing modalities, and unconventional data sources. As the demand for earth observation data explodes to address the global population's challenges, climate change, disasters, etc., the need for capturing the earth observation data on various scales, including small scale to large scale, increases, thereby increasing the demand for satellite-based Earth observation.
- The big Earth observation data has gradually promoted the development of global industries, research institutions, and application sectors, which has had a profound impact on the study of the Earth system contributing to human activities, environmental monitoring, and climate changes, and also provided abundant data resource for the construction of digital Earth.
- Further, the increasing demand for data analytics to provide accurate insights of the earth observation across various industries according to their requirements demands a large amount of data. The organizations majorly believed that the large the amount of data, the more accurate insights could be generated. This has significantly driven the demand for the market studied, as satellites can capture data on a broader scale and for a more extensive area.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Hold the Largest Market Share
- North America is anticipated to dominate the market studied, during the forecast period, due to the highest number of ongoing research studies and investments in the market, the presence of a sophisticated infrastructure to undertake space programs, and the quickest and highest adoption of commercial satellite imaging across various industries in the region.
- Due to the strong support from the federal government, in the form of grants to academic institutions and companies, to develop highly advanced satellite imaging devices, the market studied is estimated to expand further in the region.
- New and innovative satellite operators are entering the market especially in the US, new data sources are emerging, including the unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and crowd or citizen sources using mobile technologies and large IT companies such as Google and Amazon are seeking to establish global.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Satellite-based Earth Observation Market is highly competitive and moving toward fragmented stage, because of the presence of many players in the market. The major players in the market are Airbus Defense and Space, MDA Corp., UrtheCast Corp., and Harris Corporation, among others.
- January 2020 - Virgin Orbit signed an agreement with ImageSat International (ISI) to develop an end-to-end responsive space service offering focused on national security customers. The joint turnkey service was announced at the 15th Ilan Ramon International Space Conference, during Israel Space Week, which takes advantage of the responsive and flexible capabilities of Virgin Orbit’s LauncherOne system to rapidly deploy ISI’s high-resolution Earth observation small satellites.
- August 2019 - MDA was awarded a contract from the Canadian space agency to execute the system design phase of a forest fire monitoring satellite. The purpose of the WildFireSat (WFS) mission would be to provide a space-based capability to increase Canada’s ability to monitor wildland fires across the country
- February 2020 - Airbus redefined its portfolio of turnkey Earth observation systems, specifically designed for the international market. The company now offers a portfolio of end-to-end systems that complies with the increasing variety of user requirements and business models of its customers.This new portfolio encompasses off-the-shelf products ranging from the constellation-ready S250 optical and S250 radar all the way to absolute-high-end systems with the S850 radar and the S950 optical. It also includes the S450 optical, formerly known as the AstroBus-S.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Increasing Need to Generate Big Data to Offer Accurate Insights into Earth Observation
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 Increasing Use of Alternative Earth Observation Technologies
4.6 Analysis of Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.2 End-user Vertical
6.2.1 Defense and Intelligence
6.2.2 Infrastructure and Engineering
6.2.4 Energy and Power
6.2.5 Other End-user Verticals
6.3.1 North America
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Airbus Defense and Space
7.1.2 Satcom Technologies
7.1.3 Geo Optics Inc.
7.1.4 Image Sat International NV
7.1.5 MDA Corporation (Maxar Technologies)
7.1.6 Planet Labs Inc.
7.1.7 PlanetIQ LLC
7.1.8 UrtheCast Corp.
7.1.9 L3Harris Technologies, Inc.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Satellite-based Earth Observation Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Satellite-based Earth Observation Market?
The Satellite-based Earth Observation Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.3% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Satellite-based Earth Observation Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Satellite-based Earth Observation Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Satellite-based Earth Observation Market?
Airbus Defense and Space, MDA Corporation, UrtheCast Corporation, Harris Corporation, Planet Labs Inc. are the major companies operating in Satellite-based Earth Observation Market.