Germany Whey Protein Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Germany Whey Protein Market Analysis
The Germany whey protein market is valued at USD 59.2 million in the current year and is projected to register a CAGR of 7.57% during the forecast period.
- The sportification of non-athletes and increased demand for performance nutrition and beverages are driving the growth of the market. However, the undefined regulatory guidelines, health/safety concerns when use is not regulated, and the competition from plant proteins act as restraints to the growth of the market studied.
- Further, the market studied has a considerable opportunity, with increasing awareness about the availability of healthy products in the market. Product innovations and burgeoning demand from the developing regions offer opportunities for the growth of the market studied.
- Owing to their popularity and low price, whey protein concentrates are in high demand. However, the demand for blends of concentrates and hydrolyzed whey protein is on the rise. Whey protein can help those who aim to reduce their appetite and add muscle mass in the body by helping repair the muscle cells after exercise and stimulate the muscle to grow optimally.
- Whey protein, with its high-protein quality score and a high percentage of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), has long been popular in the exercise and fitness industry as a muscle-building supplement. Additionally, the increasing consumption of protein formulation among infants is another factor anticipated to drive the market over the forecast period.
Germany Whey Protein Market Trends
Increasing Sportification is Driving the Market Growth
- Rising trends of urbanization, expanding geriatric population, lifestyle changes among people, and an increasing female workforce are the factors that make consumers look for health and wellness food options.
- The demand for protein-fortified food is growing to meet the daily dietary requirements, owing to which whey proteins have emerged from being a low-profile commodity to a value-enhancing ingredient.
- Furthermore, the burgeoning demand within the sports industry has fueled substantial expansion in the market for whey protein-based products. As exercise increasingly becomes an integral component of people's daily lives, the rising demand for energy drinks and bars is a clear indicator of this trend.
- Consequently, this trend is expected to drive growth in the whey protein market. Whey protein plays a pivotal role in assisting individuals striving to curb their appetite and build lean muscle mass. It accomplishes this by facilitating the repair of muscle cells post-exercise and optimizing muscle growth.
- With a great focus on overall health and consumers' interest in clean-label products, the demand for natural ingredients has been growing in the sports nutrition sector. Ingredients, such as organic and grass-fed whey, have gained prominence due to both health as well as ethical concerns. Thus, the growing sportification in the country is driving the growth of the market.
Increasing Demand for Functional/Fortified Food
- Consumers' understanding of the impact of nutrition on physical and mental well-being has enhanced over the years. The awareness regarding the health benefits of functional foods in protecting against diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc., is rising.
- Therefore, the positive impact of functional foods on one's health is supporting market demand and growth. The demand for functional and fortified food is rising in the market, which is increasing the demand for fortified dairy products that majorly contain whey protein.
- Factors such as the rising demand for probiotic food by health-conscious consumers primarily drive the market. Additionally, various dairy-based products containing whey protein are being increasingly customized to create offerings, such as low-fat, low-sugar, probiotic, and fortified products.
- Hence, manufacturers have been investing in product development to introduce fortified food like yogurt in various formats to garner attention from consumers, especially the younger generation. Moreover, whey protein-based fixings are utilized as a strong milk source in the definition of milk chocolate seasoned coatings for candy bars, ice creams, and other enrobing applications, supplanting skim milk powder. Therefore, the increasing application of whey protein in functional and fortified food is increasing its demand in the market.
Germany Whey Protein Industry Overview
Germany's whey protein market is fragmented and is driven by various active players. The major players have used several strategies, such as new product launches, expansions, joint ventures, partnerships, acquisitions, and others, to increase market growth. There are numerous prominent players in the market, such as Fonterra Co-operative Group, Glanbia Plc, Arla Foods amba, Lactalis, and DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH, among others. The key players in the market are focused on product innovation in whey protein manufacturing using high-end manufacturing in order to cater to a larger customer base in the country.
Germany Whey Protein Market Leaders
Fonterra Co-Operative Group Limited
Arla Foods amba
DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Germany Whey Protein Market News
- April 2023: Eurial Ingredients & Nutrition introduced its new whey protein isolate powder to the German market. This innovative product finds applications in isotonic drinks, sports nutrition products, clinical supplements, and shakes. Eurial proudly asserts that this protein powder is derived from milk and boasts an impressive 90% protein content by dry weight.
- November 2022: First Milk, a British dairy co-operative, forged a strategic partnership with Arla Food Ingredients to produce Arla's whey protein concentrate product, Nutrilac FO-7875, at its Lake District Creamery. This collaboration enables First Milk to market and distribute Arla's ingredients internationally, including in Germany.
- September 2020: DV Nutrition and Wheyco successfully merged under the banner of DMK Group. The primary objective of this merger was to expand the company's presence in the German and European whey markets.
Germany Whey Protein Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Whey Protein Concentrate
5.1.2 Whey Protein Isolate
5.1.3 Hydrolyzed Whey Protein
5.2.1 Sports and Performance Nutrition
5.2.2 Infant Formula
5.2.3 Functional/Fortified Food
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Glanbia Plc
6.3.2 Fonterra Co-Operative Group Limited
6.3.3 Arla Foods amba
6.3.5 Kerry Group
6.3.6 Koninklijke DSM N.V.
6.3.7 DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH
6.3.8 Hilmar Cheese Company
6.3.10 Euroduna Food Ingredients GmbH
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Germany Whey Protein Market Research FAQs
What is the current Germany Whey Protein Market size?
The Germany Whey Protein Market is projected to register a CAGR of 7.57% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Germany Whey Protein Market?
Glanbia Plc, Fonterra Co-Operative Group Limited, Arla Foods amba, Lactalis and DMK Deutsches Milchkontor GmbH are the major companies operating in the Germany Whey Protein Market.
What years does this Germany Whey Protein Market cover?
The report covers the Germany Whey Protein Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Germany Whey Protein Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Germany Whey Protein Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Germany Whey Protein market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Germany Whey Protein analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2024 to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.