Gastric Cancer Therapy Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 5.32 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 9.64 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Gastric Cancer Therapy Market Analysis
The Gastric Cancer Therapy Market size is estimated at USD 5.32 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 9.64 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 12.63% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
- The COVID-19 pandemic affected healthcare systems globally and had a significant impact on the gastric cancer therapy market. Diagnosis and therapies for gastric cancer were delayed or canceled due to the global lockdown. For instance, as per the article published in March 2023 in PubMed, during the first year of the pandemic, the management of gastric cancer patients was globally affected by decreasing the frequency of multidisciplinary team meetings and the number of elective gastrectomies.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, cancer patients were put at risk of adverse outcomes because of delays in diagnosis and treatment. As a result of the treatment and diagnosis delays, the pandemic had a substantial impact on market growth. However, the market has currently returned to its pre-pandemic state in relation to the demand for gastric cancer treatments.
- This is attributed to the elevated incidence of gastric cancer cases and several technological advancements. It is anticipated that the market will experience robust growth in the upcoming years.Certain factors that are propelling the market growth are the growing burden of gastric cancer and the introduction of novel therapies for metastatic cancer coupled with an increase in research and development activities by the key players.
- For instance, according to the Cancer Australia 2022 statistics, 2,572 new cases of stomach cancer were diagnosed in Australia (1,661 males and 911 females) in 2022. Thus, the high prevalence of stomach cancer is expected to increase the demand for gastric cancer therapies, thereby contributing to market growth. Thus, the rising burden of stomach cancer among the population is expected to raise the demand for effective treatment and therapies, which in turn is anticipated to fuel market growth.
- Furthermore, the rising company's focus on developing novel drugs and therapies for treating gastric cancer, coupled with increasing product launches, are all expected to boost the market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in November 2021, Natco Pharma launched a novel fixed-dose combination of Trifluridine and Tipiracil used to treat advanced colorectal and gastric cancer.
- Similarly, in February 2022, Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and Bristol-Myers Squibb signed an outsourcing agreement with Prime Research Institute for Medical RWD, Inc. on an industry-sponsored, large-scale, multi-institutional clinical research in patients with gastric cancer treated with Opdivo in combination with chemotherapy.
- The study was conducted utilizing the PRiME-R's data input support system 'CyberOncology' which standardizes, structures, manages, and integrates real-world data in daily cancer clinical practice. Furthermore, in April 2022, BDR Pharmaceuticals launched Furmecil, a generic oral drug for the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Thus, the emergence of various drugs to treat gastric cancer is expected to contribute to the growth of the market over the forecast period.
- Furthermore, in June 2023, Astellas Pharma submitted a New Drug Application (NDA) to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) for zolbetuximab, an investigational Claudin 18.2 (CLDN18.2)-targeted monoclonal antibody, indicated for the treatment of patients with locally advanced unresectable or metastatic HER2-negative gastric or gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinoma.
- Thus, due to the rise in gastric diseases and strategic activities coupled with research and development, the studied market is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period. However, the high cost of cancer therapy and the side effects of drugs are likely to restrain the market growth over the forecast period.
Gastric Cancer Therapy Market Trends
Targeted Segment is Expected to Hold a Significant Share of the Market Over the Forecast Period
- Targeted therapy is a treatment used for cancer in which the drugs work by targeting the specific genes or proteins that are present in the cancer cells. There are several types of targeted therapies for cancers, such as hormone therapies, gene expression modulators, apoptosis inducers, angiogenesis inhibitors, signal transduction inhibitors, and many other therapies. Some of the targeted therapy drugs that are used to treat gastric cancer are ramucirumab, Bevacizumab, apatinib, sunitinib, trastuzumab, pertuzumab, lapatinib, and cetuximab.
- The targeted segment is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period owing to factors such as the rising prevalence of gastric cancer among the population, increasing company activities in developing targeted therapies, and growing research studies related to targeted drugs and therapies.
- For instance, according to the article published in July 2022 in PubMed, the development of precision medicine has been consistently aided by the impressive advancements made in recent years in both domestic and international research on molecular targeted therapy in gastric cancer. Thus, an increase in targeted therapy research and development in gastric cancer is expected to bolster market growth over the forecast period. Moreover, the rising product launches and approvals are expected to increase segment growth.
- For instance, in November 2021, the Japan Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA) approved Merck's KEYTRUDA as the first-line treatment for patients with radically unresectable, advanced, or recurrent esophageal carcinoma in combination with chemotherapy (5-fluorouracil [5-FU] plus cisplatin).
- Also, in April 2021, the Food Drug Administration (FDA) granted breakthrough therapy designation for investigational bemarituzumab as first-line treatment for patients with fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b (FGFR2b) overexpressing and human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-negative metastatic and locally advanced gastric and gastroesophageal (GEJ) adenocarcinoma in combination with modified FOLFOX6 (fluoropyrimidine, leucovorin, and oxaliplatin).
- Hence, the increase in cases of gastric cancer and the rise in product launches by the key players are expected to bolster the segment market growth over the forecast period.
North America is Expected to Occupy a Major Share of the Market Over the Forecast Period
North America is expected to hold a significant share in the gastric cancer therapy market over the forecast period owing to the factors such as the increasing prevalence of gastric cancer, rising adoption of targeted cancer therapy, and the availability of advanced technology in cancer research and treatment centers. For instance, according to the May 2021 update by the Canadian Cancer Society, 4,100 Canadians were diagnosed with gastric cancer in 2022.
Also, according to the American Cancer Society 2023 statistics, 26,500 cases are estimated to be diagnosed with stomach cancer in 2023 in the United States. Thus, the increasing number of gastric cancer cases in the region is expected to rise the demand for effective therapies for treating patients with gastric cancer which in turn is anticipated to fuel the market growth over the forecast period.
Furthermore, the rising company activities in conducting clinical trials for developing effective drugs for patients suffering from gastric cancer and increasing product launches and approvals in the region, are expected to fuel the market growth. For instance, in April 2021, the FDA approved Bristol Myers Squibb's Opdivo in combination with fluoropyrimidine and platinum-containing chemotherapy, for the treatment of patients with advanced or metastatic gastric cancer, gastroesophageal junction cancer, and esophageal adenocarcinoma.
Similarly, in January 2021, the FDA approved Enhertu for the treatment of adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic HER2-positive gastric or gastroesophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinoma. Similarly, in November 2022, Organon Canada launched Ontruzant, a biosimilar of the reference biologic Herceptin, providing patients in Canada with certain breast and gastric cancers with an additional therapeutic option at a lower cost.
Therefore, the increase in cases of gastric cancer and the rise in product launches by the key players are expected to bolster the market growth in the North American region.
Gastric Cancer Therapy Industry Overview
The gastric cancer therapy market is moderately competitive and consists of a few major players. In terms of shares, a few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the major players in the market are F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, Merck & Co. Inc., and Celltrion Inc., among others.
Gastric Cancer Therapy Market Leaders
Eli Lilly and Company
F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
Merck & Co
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Gastric Cancer Therapy Market News
- March 2023: Akeso, Inc., completed the patient enrollment for its pivotal Phase III clinical trial involving cadonilimab (PD-1/CTLA-4 bi-specific antibody, AK104), which stands as the world's pioneering dual-immune checkpoint bi-specific antibody drug to be approved and brought to market. This marks a step closer to the launch of cadonilimab for a major indication after the indication for treatment of cervical cancer has been approved.
- January 2023: Eisai Co., Ltd publicized the presentation of research across various types of gastrointestinal cancers during the 2023 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) gastrointestinal cancers symposium (#GI23), which took place in person in San Francisco, California.
Gastric Cancer Therapy Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Burden of Gastric Cancer
4.2.2 Increase in Research and Development for Novel Therapies Coupled with Government Initiatives
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Cancer Therapy and Side Effects of Cancer Drugs
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value in USD)
5.1 By Therapy Type
5.1.2 Targeted Therapy
5.1.4 Radiation Therapy
5.2 By End-User
5.2.1 Ambulatory Surgery Centers
5.2.2 Hospitals and Specialty Clinics
5.2.3 Other End-users
5.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa
5.3.5 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
6.1.2 Celltrion Healthcare Co.,Ltd
6.1.3 Eli Lilly and Company
6.1.4 F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
6.1.5 GSK plc
6.1.6 Imugene Limited
6.1.7 Novartis AG
6.1.8 Merck & Co. Inc.
6.1.9 Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd
6.1.10 Pfizer Inc.
6.1.11 Sanofi S.A
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Gastric Cancer Therapy Market Research FAQs
How big is the Gastric Cancer Therapy Market?
The Gastric Cancer Therapy Market size is expected to reach USD 5.32 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 12.63% to reach USD 9.64 billion by 2029.
What is the current Gastric Cancer Therapy Market size?
In 2024, the Gastric Cancer Therapy Market size is expected to reach USD 5.32 billion.
Who are the key players in Gastric Cancer Therapy Market?
Eli Lilly and Company, Pfizer Inc., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Celltrion Inc. and Merck & Co are the major companies operating in the Gastric Cancer Therapy Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Gastric Cancer Therapy Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Gastric Cancer Therapy Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Gastric Cancer Therapy Market.
What years does this Gastric Cancer Therapy Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Gastric Cancer Therapy Market size was estimated at USD 4.72 billion. The report covers the Gastric Cancer Therapy Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Gastric Cancer Therapy Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Global Gastric Cancer Therapy Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Gastric Cancer Therapy market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Gastric Cancer Therapy analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2024 to 2029) and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.