Flexible Pouch Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Flexible Pouch Market Analysis
The Flexible Pouch Market is expecte to grow at a CAGR of 5.6% during the forecasr period (2022 - 20227). They are widely used in food packaging because they are resealable, environmentally friendly and cheaper than alternatives such as glass, metal and cardboard. The market is growing rapidly due to increasing demand for lightweight, convenient and cost-effective packaging products.
- The change in consumer demand from rigid to flexible packaging patterns is one of the major factor contributing to the significant growth of the global pouches market. The growing preference for stand-up pouches over other rigid packaging products such as metal cans and bottles is expected to provide considerable growth opportunities for the flexible packaging market.
- Technological innovation, sustainability concerns, and attractive economics have driven significant growth in flexible packaging worldwide over the last two decades. Growing demand for consumer-friendly packaging and enhanced product protection is expected to drive the flexible pouch market as a viable and cost-effective alternative.
- The increasing demand is attributed to the rising need for packaging solutions that are convenient and portable. For instance, according to a European Flexible Packaging Association survey, 66% of the respondents preferred flexible packaging owing to the ease of storage. Additionally, 65% based their purchase on their ability to reseal and 60% on the ease of opening.
- According to the data published by Flexible Packaging Europe, flexible packaging is used for packing almost 40% of food produced in Europe while using only 10% of the packaging material consumed by the packaging industry.
- Growing awareness of the ecological impact of plastics and unsustainable business practices has led consumers to demand higher standards of environmentally friendly products. Government agencies, consumers, and environmental groups have condemned the flexible packaging industry because of the waste produced by companies within the industry.
- The recent outbreak of COVID-19 has left flexible packaging manufacturers in a deluge of problems that are expected to be short-lived. Lockdown impacts included supply chain disruptions, unavailability of raw materials used in the manufacturing process, labor shortages, price volatility that excessive production and exceeded budgets, and shipping issues.
Flexible Pouch Industry Segmentation
Companies across the globe are more likely to choose pouches over rigid packaging products such as composite cans, containers, and boxes to reduce shipping costs due to their light weight and flexibility. The studied market is segmented based on material, type and end-user applications. The studied market briefs about the COVID-19 impact on the market and key trends adopted by the major players.
The Flexible Pouch Market is segmented by Material (Plastic, Paper, Aluminum Foil), by Type (Stand Up Pouch, Flat Pouch), by Application (Food & Beverage, Cosmetic & Personal, Automotive) and Geography
|Stand Up Pouch|
|Food & Beverage|
|Cosmetic & Personal Care|
|Middle East and Africa|
|Rest of the World|
Flexible Pouch Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Flexible Pouch Market according to our research experts:
Paper to Drive the Market Growth
- Flexible paper packaging products, such as paper bags, pouches, and folding cartons, are among the fastest-growing packaging materials. The increasing trend of online retail and environmental regulations on non-biodegradable and non-recyclable packaging solutions is progressively creating a massive demand for eco-friendly paper packaging solutions.
- Companies are focused on innovating new solutions as part of expansding business. For instance, in June 2022, LabelProfi launched new paper packaging pouches. The packaging is made of paper and can be easily disposed of along with the paper waste. The inner coating ensures a secure closure of the package contents, but does not affect the recyclability of the paper as the packaging contains no plastics.
- According to a survey conducted by Sundance in July 2022, paper packaging is competitive packaging with improved fiber strength and other innovations. As a result, paper has revolutionized the consumer goods market, and new 100% recyclable paper pouches have become flexible packaging superheroes. These innovative 100% recyclable paper bags are stress tested, including their ability to hold water without seam separation. Robust pouches can be quickly and reliably heat sealed using a unique 100% recyclable and compostable heat seal adhesive.
- Flexible paper packaging is primarily driven by its effective use in the food and beverage, industrial goods, and personal care industries. In a context where the preservation of the environment is at the heart of the customers' concerns, waste management and the usage of eco-friendly packaging have become mandatory for all food and beverage distribution networks.
- The need for paper packaging is expected to be higher than plastic, due to the lightweight trend and anticipated technological improvements. For instance, stand-up pouches are favored for new product launches, as they are lightweight and flexible, resulting in a very high consumer appeal.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Witness Fastest Growth
- High demand for flexible pouch packaging from the food and beverage industry will drive the market's growth during the forecast period, especially in emerging countries such as China and India, due to changing lifestyles and increasing consumer awareness about health and hygiene.
- In February 2022, PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) in association with the Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), Govt. of India is organising VIRTUAL Global Summit on Flexible Packaging on 23rd & 24th February 2022. The summit brought together companies from across the flexible packaging value chain, from raw materials to retailers, solution providers, and users, providing a dynamic forum for discussion and exchanging ideas with industry peers and potential customers. Such intiaitves by the government will leverage flexible pouch market.
- Moreover, interest in paper-based materials to replace plastics has increased in recent years. The Japanese packaging industry has become more environmentally conscious, and vendors look for paper versions of products, such as pouches. Nestle recently announced the launch of a unique single-material pouch for its baby food products, designed for a recycling future. This aligns with Nestle's commitment to making 100% of its packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025.
- Further, in July 2022, The Pouch House, a subsidiary of Taylor Corporation, announced the launch of a new web-to-print online ordering platform for its flexible packaging products. This offers buyers a more accessible alternative to the usual way of ordering custom-printed flexible packaging. The completed pouches are sent to the dock, where they are filled and sealed.
- Prepared foods are growing in popularity among Chinese consumers as they gravitate toward products containing fish, meat, and vegetables that are packaged aseptically, primarily for preservation. The rising trend of online shopping is also pushing the flexible pouch market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Flexible Pouch Industry Overview
The Flexible Pouch Market is fragmented with significant players such as Mondi Group, Sealed Air Corporation, Amcor PLC, Huhtamaki Oyj, Sonoco Products Company, and more. Regarding market share, some of these significant players currently dominate the market. Certain areas of the market are expected to gain absolute dominance due to improved strategies.
- April 2022 - ProAmpac announces the launch of its proprietary ProActive PCR retort pouches. ProActive PCR retort pouches are both EU and FDA-compliant for food contact retort applications and are designed for pet and human food packaging. ProActive PCR retort pouches provide over 30% PCR content by weight and reduce the use of virgin resin in the package.
- November 2021 - Sonoco Products Company acquired the assets of Pac One's flexible packaging business. The acquired assets include three flexographic machines, three pouch-making machines, and an offline solventless laminator. These will be transferred to the existing Sonoco flexible packaging business.
Flexible Pouch Market Leaders
Sealed Air Corporation
Sonoco Products Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Flexible Pouch Market News
- July 2022 - Mondi is expanding its capabilities in sustainable packaging solutions for pet food by investing nearly EUR 65 million in three consumer flexible product packaging plants in Europe to meet the growing consumer demand for sustainable packaging solutions for pet food. This includes investment in new state-of-the-art machinery and equipment, increasing production capacity, and strengthening the site's position as the market leader in ready-made retort stand-up pouches for wet pet food.
- February 2022 - Sealed Air Corporation expands its presence in Europe by acquiring Irish packaging solutions company Foxpak Flexibles, which works with major brands to offer packaging solutions such as stand-up and spout pouches and sachets. The company led the acquisition through SEE Ventures, a corporate initiative focused on investing in disruptive technologies and business models.
Flexible Pouch Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Growing Demand for Packaged Food and Beverages to Boost the Market
4.3.2 Increased Demand for Longer Shelf Life and Lifestyle Changes
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Concerns Regarding the Environment and Recycling
4.5 Value Chain / Supply Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Impact of Covid-19 on the market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Material
5.1.3 Aluminum Foil
5.2 By Type
5.2.1 Stand Up Pouch
5.2.2 Flat Pouch
5.3 By Application
5.3.1 Food & Beverage
5.3.2 Cosmetic & Personal Care
5.3.4 Other Applications
5.4.1 North America
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
5.4.4 Middle East and Africa
5.4.5 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Berry Global Inc
6.1.2 Mondi Group
6.1.4 Sealed Air Corporation
6.1.5 Sonoco Products Company
6.1.6 Smurfit Kappa
6.1.7 Amcor PLC
6.1.9 Uflex Limited
6.1.10 Constantia Flexibles Inc.
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Flexible Pouch Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Flexible Pouch Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Flexible Pouch Market?
The Flexible Pouch Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Flexible Pouch Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Flexible Pouch Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Flexible Pouch Market?
Sealed Air Corporation, Mondi Group, Sonoco Products Company, ProAmpac, Amcor PLC are the major companies operating in Flexible Pouch Market.
Flexible Pouch Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Flexible Pouch market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Flexible Pouch analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.