|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global fiber cement market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The construction industry was severely impacted, owning to the lockdown situation, thus, negatively impacting the demand for fiber cement. According to Euroconstruct, the construction growth in Europe reached the highest level in 2017, and it is expected to grow up to 2022. The growth rate in 2020 before the COVID-19 outbreak was expected to be 1.1%, compared to 2.3% in 2019. With the COVID-19 outbreak and almost zero economic activity, the construction growth rate is expected to be negative and impact the market studied on a short-term basis.
- Over the short term, the major factor driving the market studied is the increasing demand for energy-efficient buildings. However, the threat of substitutes, like vinyl and wood siding, is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The sliding segment dominated the market. It is expected to grow during the forecast period.
- Increasing awareness in emerging economies is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Europe dominated the global market, with the largest consumption recorded from the countries, such as Germany and the United Kingdom.
Scope of the Report
Fiber cement is a composite building material primarily made of cement reinforced fiber. The market is segmented based on application, end-user industry, and geography. By application, the market is segmented into siding, roofing, cladding, molding and trimming, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into residential and non-residential. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the fiber cement market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD million).
|Molding and Trimming|
|By End-user Industry|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Residential Sector
- Fiber cement siding is a product that affixes to the exterior of a house or other structures, owing to its characteristics, like wear and tear resistance to concrete, it and can help in keeping the house sustainable to some of the harshest elements of the local environments.
- The residential industry is the major end-user industry for fiber cement. The rising middle-class population, coupled with increasing disposable incomes, has facilitated an expansion in the middle-class housing segment. Thus, there is expected to be an increase in the use of fiber cement, within the segment, during the forecast period.
- Globally, Asia-Pacific has the largest construction market, which is led by India, China, and various Southeast Asian countries. In India, the government initiated the project, ‘Housing for All by 2022’, which is expected to immensely drive the low-cost residential construction segment in the country, throughout the forecast period. Furthermore, under the Pradhanmantri Awas Yojana, the Indian government has taken a decision to provide interest subvention of 3% and 4% for loans of up to USD 18,000 and USD 13,500, respectively, for the lower strata of the society, with respect to buying and building homes.
- In Southeast Asia, Thailand is one of the most exciting hubs for contractors, with a huge construction sector to invest in. With increasing public works, such as the construction of transit lines and subway infrastructure, the demand for residential construction has been consistently increasing. Residential construction is the largest segment in the Thai construction industry and is expected to account for more than 40% of its total value in 2023.
- According to US Census Bureau, the total residential housing units authorized by building permits in March 2020 were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,353,000, representing 5% growth over the March 2019 rate of 1,288,000. The total number of privately‐owned housing starts in March 2020 were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,216,000, representing 1.4% growth over the March 2019 rate of 1,199,000.
- In South America, Brazil is suffering from a volatile economy, which has reduced activities in the construction industry. However, the Brazilian housebuilder, MRV, has predicted growth despite the recession.
- Such growth in the residential sector, globally, is expected to drive the market for fiber cement during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Region to Dominate the Market
- Europe accounted for the largest market for fiber cement, owing to the growth of energy-efficient buildings in the region.
- Germany is the largest economy in Europe, and the fifth largest, globally. Germany has been one of the worst-hit countries in the world by the COVID-19 outbreak. However, the German government has exempted infrastructure, residential, and utility construction from the lockdown measures, with construction continuing through the COVID-19 crisis.
- According to the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Report in 2019, the country ranked 8th in terms of the infrastructure index in 2018-2019, gaining two places from 10th in 2017-2018.
- The construction industry in the country has been growing at a slow pace, which is majorly driven by the increasing number of new residential construction activities. According to the industry experts, the completion of construction of new houses was estimated to be around 315,000 units in 2019, which is higher when compared to total completions in 2018, which was 300,000 units
- The German Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure is planning to invest EUR 300 million in future technologies, such as electric mobility or automated and networked driving for electric vehicle charging infrastructure, which is expected to positively impact the market.
- Under NPIF, the government in the United Kingdom is planning to invest GBP 23 billion in housing, science and innovation, transport, and a 5G network over the next five years, of which around GBP 7.2 billion is allocated for the construction of new homes and GBP 4 billion is allocated to infrastructures, such as roads bridges, pavements, and others.
- Additionally, the government’s investments of GBP 100 billion in large-scale housing and regeneration projects, along with key social infrastructures, such as schools, hospitals, and prisons, are expected to increase the demand for fiber cement used for construction purposes.
- France has the second-largest construction industry in the European region. According to INSEE, France, the number of residential building construction in January 2020 was 28,474 compared to 29,571 in January 2018, the decline in residential building construction is due to the COVID-19 outbreak, and is further expected the residential construction in the short term.
- Additionally, the French government has started taking the initial steps toward the development of hosting the 2024 Olympics. For instance, the French government has sanctioned a total of ~USD 3.3 billion for the construction of the Hermitage towers (two 320-meter -1,050-foot towers), which are due to be completed by 2024.
- These factors are estimated to boost the demand for fiber cement in Europe during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global fiber cement market is fragmented in nature. Some of the major players in the market include TORAY INDUSTRIES INC., Zykron, James Hardie Building Products Inc., Plycem, and Etex Group.
- In January 2020, James Hardie Building Products Inc. introduced 700 ColorPlus Technology finishes fiber cement under the James Hardie’s Dream Collection, thus, intending to expand the product portfolio of the fiber cement's wide range of color options.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Energy-efficient Buildings
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Threat of Substitutes, like Vinyl and Wood Siding
4.2.2 Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Raw Material Analysis
4.5.1 Portland Cement
4.5.3 Cellulosic Fiber
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application
5.1.4 Molding and Trimming
5.1.5 Other Applications
5.2 By End-user Industry
5.3 By Geography
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 American Fiber Cement Corporation
6.4.2 Cembrit Holding A/S
6.4.3 CSR Limited
6.4.4 Etex Group
6.4.5 James Hardie Building Products Inc.
6.4.8 The Siam Cement Public Company Limited
6.4.9 Toray Industries Inc.
6.4.10 TPI Polene Public Company Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Fiber Cement Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Fiber Cement Market?
The Fiber Cement Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Fiber Cement Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Fiber Cement Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Fiber Cement Market?
Toray Industries Inc., Zykron, James Hardie Building Products Inc., Plycem, Etex Group are the major companies operating in Fiber Cement Market.