Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The European transportation infrastructure construction market is expected to register a growth rate of over 2.4% during the forecast period, 2022-2027.
COVID-19 had a significant impact on the European construction sector in 2020. But the pandemic had the least impact on infrastructure construction, which had a positive outlook in 2021. The Italian government decided to use a large portion of the EU recovery fund to invest in transportation infrastructure. Construction of the Turin-Lyon high-speed railway line was budgeted at over USD 1.15 billion, while the Palermo-Messina-Catania railway line was budgeted at USD 5.16 billion.
From 2019 to 2020, Romania had the highest growth rate of 19.2% in the market, and the second-highest growth rate was Germany, at 7.3%.
In 2020, companies VINCI SA and ACS Construction Group generated the highest revenue of USD 48.4 billion and USD 38.5 billion, respectively.
Germany generated revenue worth USD 423.9 billion, followed by the United Kingdom, worth USD 348 billion in 2020.
Scope of the Report
Transportation infrastructure is referred to as the framework that facilitates the transportation system. Roads, railways, ports, and airports are all part of it. On a daily basis, transportation infrastructure connects people to jobs, health care, education, etc. It makes it easier to provide and receive goods and services worldwide. The Europe Transportation Infrastructure Construction Market is segmented by Mode (Roads, Railways, Airways, Waterways, and Other Modes) and Country. The report offers market size and forecasts for the European Transportation Infrastructure market in value (USD Billion) for all the above segments.
|Rest of Europe|
Key Market Trends
Growth of Urban Population
- The rapid growth of continuing urbanization is a major driver of transportation infrastructure investment. As per the World Bank, in 2020, the world population reached 7.8 billion.
- In 2000, 70% of the population in Europe lived in urban areas. By 2020, the share of the urban population had reached 75%, and it is expected to reach 80% in 2035.
- As the share of the urban population grows, the growth of transport infrastructure is also required to connect them in the urban areas in Europe.
- In Europe's city centers, public spaces account for between 2 and 15% of the total land area, and their functions are important to relieve the pressures caused by the rising population in a city.
- New transportation infrastructure is required in developing countries to enable population transfer from rural to urban areas. Existing infrastructures in developed countries must be improved to improve resilience, improve the environment, and reduce maintenance costs.
- Companies could use new and emerging technology to improve public services (such as mobility and well-being), interact more effectively with citizens, increase productivity, and solve environmental and sustainability issues.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing Passenger Transport Demand
- The public transportation segment is expected to generate USD 111.3 billion in revenue in 2022, with revenue growth of 23.7% from 2021 to 2022.
- Revenue is estimated to witness a CAGR of 4.67% from 2022 to 2026, generating a market volume of USD 133.62 billion by 2026.
- By 2026, the number of people using public transportation is predicted to reach 569.6 million, and user penetration is predicted to reach 67.1% by 2026, up from 60.8% in 2022.
- In 2021, the revenue generated by countries in Southern Europe was USD 19 billion, whereas the revenue generated by Northern Europe countries was USD 7.4 billion.
- Also, in 2020, the number of passenger cars sold was 13.9K, and the sales number is expected to increase up to 16.1K by 2024.
- In 2020, the revenue generated by passenger cars was USD 400 billion, which is estimated to generate USD 474.1 billion by 2024.
- For the transportation infrastructure industry, this interconnectedness of market and regulatory forces are creating priceless opportunities to grow rapidly.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market is relatively fragmented, with a large number of local players, including VINCI, ACS Construction Group, Bouygues, HOCHTIEF, and Eiffage. The demand for sustainability and technological advancements in the transport infrastructure market is increasing, and companies in the region are expected to adopt and remain competitive.
- In January 2022, in France, Colas and Saipol (Avril Group) have made an agreement to supply a fleet of trucks with Oleo100, a B100 renewable bio-based fuel. This fuel cuts greenhouse gas emissions by 60% compared to diesel fuel and reduces fine particle emissions by up to 80%. Once the trucks are deployed, it will prevent almost 46,000 tons of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere over a year.
- In December 2021, Eiffage accomplished the acquisition of 35% of the A65 motorway in southwest France and became its unique shareholder. Eiffage has become the main shareholder and operator of A'liénor as a result of these acquisitions. Eiffage used its available treasury to fund this investment of USD 255 million.
- In December 2021, on the campus of La Doua University in Lyon, France, Colas combined innovation and sustainable development. Colas recently installed Flowell, a dynamic light-emitting road marking technology. The aim is to improve user safety at the intersection between a tram line and a bike route.
- In January 2021, STRABAG and JOHANN BUNTE partnered on a new contract to widen the A1 motorway in Germany. This joint project of STRABAG (50%) and JOHANN BUNTE (50%) will widen the A1 to six lanes for approximately 30 kilometers. The contract is worth roughly USD 686 million, including structural maintenance for the segment over a 30-year period. In mid-2025, the section will be fully open to traffic.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
2.1 Analysis Methodology
2.2 Research Phases
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS AND INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Dynamics
4.3 Value Chain / Supply Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Policies and Regulations
4.5 Technological Developments in the Sector
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7 Impact of COVID - 19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Mode
5.2 By Country
5.2.2 United Kingdom
5.2.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Market Concentration Overview
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 VINCI SA
6.2.2 ACS Construction Group
6.2.3 Bouygues Construction
6.2.5 Eiffage SA
6.2.6 Skanska AB
6.2.7 STRABAG SE
6.2.8 Colas SA
6.2.9 KazMunayGas NC JSC
6.2.10 Tatneft PJSC
7. FUTURE OF THE EUROPE TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE CONSTRUCTION MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Transportation Infrastructure Construction Market market is studied from 2018 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Europe Transportation Infrastructure Construction Market?
The Europe Transportation Infrastructure Construction Market is growing at a CAGR of >2.4% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Transportation Infrastructure Construction Market?
VINCI, ACS Construction Group, Bouygues Construction, HOCHTIEF, Eiffage, Skanska are the major companies operating in Europe Transportation Infrastructure Construction Market.