|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||South America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The chlor-alkali market was valued at 244,214.46 kilotons in 2020, and it is expected to reach 288,961.55 kilotons by 2026, registering a CAGR of 3.11% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
COVID-19 has negatively affected the demand for chllor-alkalis in 2020. According to the ILO study, the global textile trade collapsed in the first half of the year. Exports to the major buying regions in the European Union, the United States, and Japan fell by up to 70%. At the same time, manufacturers’ supply chains were disrupted, with shortages of cotton, cloth, and other necessary materials. Additionally, the paper and pulp industry also witnessed a contraction in 2020, owing to reduced demand for paper and packaging. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought a downturn in the production of coated and uncoated paper for journals, schools, and offices, which leads to the decrease in demand for chemicals such as chlor-alkali used in paper production.
- In the short term, the major factor driving the growth of the market is the high demand for caustic soda and its derivatives.
- Caustic soda is used to manufacture products in industries like paper and pulp, soap and detergents, and textiles and in the synthesis of many organic and inorganic chemicals. Therefore, the product has high demand, which is expected to boost the market studied.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market due to the large-scale production and consumption of chlor-alkali products and their derivatives.
Scope of the Report
The chlor-alkali market is segmented by product, application, and geography. By product, the market is segmented into caustic soda, chlorine, and soda ash. By production process, the market is segmented into membrane cell, diaphragm cell, and others. On the basis of application, the market is segmented into pulp and paper, organic chemical, inorganic chemical, soap and detergent, alumina, textile, and other applications. The report also covers the market sizes and forecasts for the chlor-alkali market in 18 countries across the major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Other Production Processes|
|Pulp and Paper|
|Soap and Detergent|
Key Market Trends
The Chlorine Segment is Expected to Drive the Market Growth
- Chlorine occurs naturally but not in its elemental (gas) form (as Cl2). Chlorine and caustic soda/sodium hydroxide are produced by passing an electrical current through brine (common salt dissolved in water). This process is called chlor-alkali. The chlorine and sodium hydroxide produced in this process are widely used in the chemical industry. In chlorine production, the three raw materials used are salt, water, and electricity. As a result, three products can come out, chlorine, caustic soda, and hydrogen.
- Chlorine is one of the more abundant chemicals produced by the industry. Chlorine has many industrial uses, including making bulk materials like bleached paper products, plastics, such as PVC, and solvents like tetrachloromethane, chloroform, and dichloromethane. It is also used to make dyes, textiles, medicines, antiseptics, insecticides, and paints.
- Chlorine kills bacteria as it is a disinfectant. It is used to treat drinking water and swimming pool water. Another major use of chlorine is in organic chemistry. It is used as an oxidizing agent and in substitution reactions. 85% of pharmaceuticals use chlorine or its compounds at some stage in their manufacture.
- Additionally, clinical uses of chlorine in healthcare facilities include hyper chlorination of potable water to prevent Legionella colonization, chlorination of water distribution systems used in hemodialysis centers, cleaning of environmental surfaces, disinfection of laundry, local use to decontaminate blood spills, disinfection of equipment, decontamination of medical waste prior to disposal, and dental therapy. Moreover, owing to the pandemic, the demand for chlorine in water treatment is expected to grow excessively in the forthcoming years.
- Chlorine helps provide safe and abundant food by protecting crops from pests disinfecting food-contact surfaces, destroying E. coli, salmonella, and a host of other foodborne germs. Chlorine is also used to manufacture fast processors that power smartphones, tablets, and computers. Additionally, chlorine is also used to manufacture residential and commercial air conditioning refrigerants, hybrid car batteries, and high-performance magnets.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China is Expected to Dominate the Global Market
- In the Asia-Pacific region, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP. The country witnessed about 6.1% growth in its GDP during 2019, even after the trade disturbance caused due to its trade war with the United States. The economic growth rate of China in 2020 was initially expected to be moderate as compared to the previous year. However, due to the onset of COVID-19 in 2020, the economic growth contracted to some extent, and it is expected to witness recovery in 2021.
- The Chinese textile industry is the largest in the world in terms of production and exports. The textile industry in China is also booming with increasing investments and government support from the 13th Five Year Plan. Investment in the country’s textile industry has been increasing due to cheaper electricity rates, transportation subsidies, and lower raw cotton prices.
- In addition, through the Belt & Road initiative, the country saw an in-flow of huge investments, both domestic and foreign, mainly focusing on increasing production capacity and exports of textiles and apparel. This, in turn, increases the demand in the chlor-alkali market.
- China is a hub for chemical processing, accounting for a major chunk of the chemicals produced globally. The growth in the country accounts for half of the growth of the global chemical market. The chemical market in China is growing at 4-5% annually compared to the ~3% growth in the rest of the world.
- There are numerous chemical plants lined up for construction for the next five years in the country. For instance, in July 2020, Nouryon announced its plans to construct a TBHP/TBA manufacturing plant in China, with an annual capacity of 35,000 ton of TBHP/TBA. The new hydroperoxide facility is expected to be completed in the second half of 2021. Hence, all such chemical plants lined for development are likely to significantly add to the demand in the country’s market over the forecast period.
- In China, the per capita consumption of toilet/bathing soaps is 4 kilograms, which is one of the largest across the world. In addition, the consumption of soaps and detergents witnessed a sharp increase in the country as a result of the hygiene awareness due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This consumption is expected to propel the demand for chlor-alkali in the coming years.
- Furthermore, according to the International Aluminum Institute, China is one of the largest producers of alumina across the globe. As of December 2020, China manufactured about 6,230 thousand ton of alumina, which increased by about 5.2% from the previous year. Such an increase in production may boost the demand in the market over the forecast period.
- Overall, the market for chlor-alkali is projected to witness healthy growth in the country over the forecast period, even though the market remained affected in 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The overall chlor-alkali market is partially fragmented in nature, but the market concentration differs from product to product. There have been regular changes in the nameplate production capacities of chlor-alkali products by the leading manufacturers in the past few years, which influenced the market shares. Some of the major players in the market include Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Solvay, Ciner Resources Corporation, and Westlake Chemical Corporation, among others.
- In January 2021, INOVYN was selected by Koyuncu Group to supply chlor-alkali technology as part of a EUR 16million investment at a new production facility in Konya province, Turkey. INOVYN will provide state-of-the-art BICHLOR™ bipolar electrolyzers for a new facility that will produce chlorine, caustic soda, sodium hypochlorite, and hydrochloric acid. The new facility will have an annual production capacity of 50,000 ton, and it is estimated to begin production in 2022.
- In March 2020, Hanwha Solutions was formed after the merging of Hanwha Chemical, Hanwha Q CELLS, and Hanwha Advanced Materials. The Hanwha Solutions business areas include chemicals, total energy solutions, and advanced materials.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 High Demand for Caustic Soda and Its Derivatives
4.1.2 Growing Demand from the End-user Segments and Existing Production Facilities
4.2.1 Environmental Impact and Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.2.2 Detrimental Impact of COVID-19
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Import and Export Trends
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Caustic Soda
5.1.3 Soda Ash
5.2 Production Process
5.2.1 Membrane Cell
5.2.2 Diaphragm Cell
5.2.3 Other Production Processes
5.3.1 Pulp and Paper
5.3.2 Organic Chemical
5.3.3 Inorganic Chemical
5.3.4 Soap and Detergent
5.3.7 Other Applications
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Czech Republic
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ANWIL SA (PKN ORLEN SA)
6.4.2 BorsodChem (Wanhua Chemical Group Co. Ltd)
6.4.3 Ciner Resources Corporation
6.4.4 Covestro AG
6.4.6 Ercros SA
6.4.7 Formosa Plastics Corporation
6.4.8 Genesis Energy LP
6.4.9 Hanwha Solutions/Chemical Corporation
6.4.10 INOVYN (INEOS)
6.4.12 Kem One
6.4.13 MicroBio Ireland Limited
6.4.16 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
6.4.17 Olin Corporation
6.4.18 PCC Rokita SA (PCC SE)
6.4.19 Shandong Haihua Group Co. Ltd
6.4.21 Tata Chemicals Limited
6.4.22 Tosoh Corporation
6.4.23 Vinnolit GmbH & Co. KG (Westlake Chemical Corporation)
6.4.24 Vynova Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Demand for Chlor-alkali from the Emerging Markets
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Chlor-alkali Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Chlor-alkali Market?
The Chlor-alkali Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.11% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Chlor-alkali Market?
South America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Chlor-alkali Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Chlor-alkali Market?
Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Westlake Chemicals Corporation, Solvay, Ciner Resources Corporation are the major companies operating in Chlor-alkali Market.