Chlor Alkali Market Size
|Market Volume (2023)||263.53 Million tons|
|Market Volume (2028)||308.04 Million tons|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||3.17 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||South America|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Chlor Alkali Market Analysis
The Global Chlor-Alkali Market size is expected to grow from 263.53 million tons in 2023 to 308.04 million tons by 2028, at a CAGR of 3.17% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
COVID-19 negatively affected the demand for chlor-alkali in 2020. However, the rise in demand for chemicals in alumina, textile, and paper and pulp applications has propelled the consumption of chlor-alkali.
- The major factor driving the market's growth in the short term is the high demand for caustic soda and its derivatives. Furthermore, caustic soda is used to manufacture products in industries like paper and pulp, soap and detergents, textiles, and the synthesis of many organic and inorganic chemicals.
- Rising demand for chlor-alkali in emerging applications such as water treatment and lithium-ion batteries is expected to offer new growth opportunities to the industry.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market due to the large-scale production and consumption of chlor-alkali products and their derivatives.
- On the flip side, the environmental impact and stringent environmental regulations are likely to hinder industry growth.
Chlor Alkali Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Chlor Alkali Market according to our research experts:
The Chlorine Segment is Expected to Drive the Market Growth
- Chlorine occurs naturally but not in its elemental (gas) form (as Cl2). Chlorine and caustic soda/sodium hydroxide are produced by passing an electrical current through brine (common salt dissolved in water). This process is called chlor-alkali.
- The chlorine and sodium hydroxide produced in this process is widely used in the chemical industry. The three raw materials used in chlorine production are salt, water, and electricity. The result is three products, chlorine, caustic soda, and hydrogen.
- Chlorine has many industrial uses, including making bulk materials like bleached paper products, plastics such as PVC, and solvents like tetrachloromethane, chloroform, and dichloromethane. It is also used to make dyes, textiles, medicines, antiseptics, insecticides, and paints.
- Additionally, clinical uses of chlorine in healthcare facilities include hyper chlorination of potable water to prevent Legionella colonization, chlorination of water distribution systems used in hemodialysis centers, cleaning of environmental surfaces, disinfection of laundry, local use to decontaminate blood spills, disinfection of equipment, decontamination of medical waste before disposal, and dental therapy.
- The production and consumption of chlorine is increasing constantly in its various end-user industries. In June 2022, European chlorine production stood at 682,760 tonnes. Additionally, PVC is one of the largest consumers of chlorine in the European region.
- Moreover, owing to the pandemic, the demand for chlorine in water treatment is expected to grow excessively in the forthcoming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China is Expected to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Region
- China dominates the chlor-alkali market in the Asia-Pacific due to the growing demand for chlor-alkali chemicals from different industries.
- The Chinese textile industry is the largest in the world in production and exports. In 2021, China accounted for over 41% of the world's textile exports, followed by the European Union and India. The textile industry in China is also booming with increasing investments and government support from the 13th Five-Year Plan. Investment in the country’s textile industry has been increasing due to cheaper electricity rates, transportation subsidies, and lower raw cotton prices.
- Additionally, according to the National Burau of Statistics, in October 2022, around 3.18 billion meters of clothing fabric were produced in China.
- In addition, through the Belt & Road initiative, the country saw an in-flow of huge investments, both domestic and foreign, mainly focusing on increasing production capacity and exports of textiles and apparel. This, in turn, increases the demand in the chlor-alkali market.
- China is a hub for chemical processing, accounting for a major chunk of the chemicals produced globally. The growth in the country accounts for half of the growth of the global chemical market. The chemical market in China is growing at 4-5% annually compared to the ~3% growth in the rest of the world.
- Overall, the market for chlor-alkali is projected to witness healthy growth in the country over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Chlor Alkali Industry Overview
The overall chlor-alkali market is partially fragmented. Some major players in the market include Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Solvay, Ciner Resources Corporation, and Westlake Chemical Corporation, among others (not in any particular order).
Chlor Alkali Market Leaders
Occidental Petroleum Corporation
Westlake Chemicals Corporation
Ciner Resources Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Chlor Alkali Market News
- In June 2022, OxyVinyls, the chemical division of Occidental Petroleum, is planning a USD 1.1 billion expansion and modernization project at its chlor-alkali plant in La Porte, Texas. The company's plan involves expanding and upgrading current system equipment and processes with the integration of new equipment that better utilizes membrane cell technology.
- In January 2021, INOVYN was selected by the Koyuncu Group to supply chlor-alkali technology as part of a EUR 16 million (~USD 17.02 million) investment at a new production facility in Konya province, Turkey. INOVYN will provide state-of-the-art BICHLOR bipolar electrolyzers for a new facility that will produce chlorine, caustic soda, sodium hypochlorite, and hydrochloric acid. The new facility will have an annual production capacity of 50,000 tons, and it is estimated to begin production in 2022.
Chlor Alkali Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 High Demand for Caustic Soda and Its Derivatives
4.1.2 Growing Demand from End-user Segments and Existing Production Facilities
4.2.1 Environmental Impact and Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Import and Export Trends
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Caustic Soda
5.1.3 Soda Ash
5.2 Production Process
5.2.1 Membrane Cell
5.2.2 Diaphragm Cell
5.2.3 Other Production Processes
5.3.1 Pulp and Paper
5.3.2 Organic Chemical
5.3.3 Inorganic Chemical
5.3.4 Soap and Detergent
5.3.7 Other Applications
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 ANWIL SA (PKN ORLEN SA)
6.4.2 BorsodChem (Wanhua Chemical Group Co. Ltd)
6.4.3 Ciner Resources Corporation
6.4.4 Covestro AG
6.4.6 Ercros SA
6.4.7 Formosa Plastics Corporation
6.4.8 Genesis Energy LP
6.4.9 Hanwha Solutions/Chemical Corporation
6.4.10 INOVYN (INEOS)
6.4.12 Kem One
6.4.13 MicroBio Ireland Limited
6.4.16 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
6.4.17 Olin Corporation
6.4.18 PCC Rokita SA (PCC SE)
6.4.19 Shandong Haihua Group Co. Ltd
6.4.21 Tata Chemicals Limited
6.4.22 Tosoh Corporation
6.4.23 Vinnolit GmbH & Co. KG (Westlake Chemical Corporation)
6.4.24 Vynova Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Demand for Chlor-alkali from the Emerging Markets
Chlor Alkali Market Research FAQs
How big is the Chlor-alkali Market?
The Chlor-alkali Market size is expected to reach 263.53 million tons in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 3.17% to reach 308.04 million tons by 2028.
What is the current Chlor-alkali Market size?
In 2023, the Chlor-alkali Market size is expected to reach 263.53 million tons.
Who are the key players in Chlor-alkali Market?
Olin Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Westlake Chemicals Corporation, Solvay and Ciner Resources Corporation are the major companies operating in the Chlor-alkali Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Chlor-alkali Market?
South America is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2027).
Which region has the biggest share in Chlor-alkali Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Chlor-alkali Market.
Chlor Alkali Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Chlor Alkali market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Chlor Alkali analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.