Europe Self Storage Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Self Storage Market Analysis
The Europe Self-Storage Market size was estimated at USD 2,750.29 million in the current year. The market is expected to reach USD 3,671.84 million in five years, registering a CAGR of 5.95% during the forecast period.
The self-storage market is a sub-sector of retail real estate. Over the forecast period, driven by higher urbanization and a better business outlook across regions, growth in this industry is predicted to be robust as new businesses emerge.
- Increased facilities and space offers in several regional countries have increased the European self-storage market. The European mass of renters of rooms for individuals and business purposes has helped increase the studied market due to urbanization, rising population, an improving economic outlook, and crowded accommodation.
- The growth of the SME self-storage market is driven by the prevailing trend to open retail outlets for pick-ups and deliveries in the e-commerce sector. Companies increasingly use value logistics as consumers demand more and more deliveries on the same day, so they're turning to self-storage. In the same vein, several market participants have acted positively.
- European consumers have a relatively high awareness of this self-storage market compared to other regions worldwide. Additionally, the key benefits, such as sole access to space, flexible rental periods, and a wide range of size units suitable for each customer's needs, could be understood by nearly half of consumers who initially understand the market.
- Several legal challenges exist for current Self Storage Managers and Owners, including but not limited to lien sale and auction, leaving of goods or documents, changes in State law on tenant bankruptcy or death, collections, rental agreement validity, protection of tenants' data, and the storage of vehicles.
- As a result of the increasing demands for consumers with improved city lifestyles, Europe's Self Storage Market was subject to moderate growth. The growth in the market is expected to be supported over the forecast period. The region experienced stable market growth due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the pandemic decreased production, resulting in an acute contraction of business inputs.
Europe Self Storage Market Trends
Business Storage Expected to Gain Market Popularity
- Although self-storage was initially aimed at personal usage, businesses are beginning to realize the importance of private storage facilities. For smaller businesses, to solve the management of space problems, renting a self-storage unit could be an affordable, temporary, or long-term solution.
- Most of the customers in self-storage businesses are startups; they offer a flexible solution for office space, distributing, warehousing, and holding goods without taking long leases. Self-storage facilities are becoming more and more helpful to business clients by providing meeting rooms, wireless Internet access, and freight forwarding services.
- In addition, 40 % of Europe's total CO2 emissions are attributable to the built environment. To reduce their impact and offer net zero carbon, investors and developers are looking at ways to retrofit existing buildings and build new ones. Solar panels are present in only 3% of Europe's self-storage facilities, and an increasing number of real estate investors have started to focus on the sustainability of buildings.
- Furthermore, as small companies look to alternative warehouse locations, commercial leases could increase, which now make up about one-fifth of the tenant base. The smaller space options, more affordable costs, and shorter lease terms often favorably align with smaller companies. Given the increase in warehouse rent over the past five years, which averaged more than 6 % per year, many companies are considering moving their needs to self-storage facilities.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany Expected to Register Significant Growth
- Germany's penetration of the Self Storage market is lower than in the United Kingdom or France, but demand from industry customers has been growing. In a country with limited market penetration, new entrants are entering the market to gain an advantage.
- In addition, as more and more people know that these services are available to them personally and for commercial purposes, the region's market is growing. Existing self-storage facilities and the opening of new ones for storing small and large private and commercial goods are also supported by the increasing number of market vendors in the area.
- Due to the strained housing demand caused by the excess demand and the uneven range of rents, the popularity of these storage facilities is increasing in central cities in Germany with a higher population. This type of factor in the region is projected to increase demand for self-storage during the forecast period.
- Germany offers several opportunities for growth because the large cities are characterized by strong population density, which makes it attractive to build self-storage sites due to lack of space. In addition, the main driver behind the German market growth for self-storage is rising urbanization and shrinking living space. Growing urbanization raises the demand for space, causing property prices per square meter to rise. Consequently, growth in the market is being driven by these factors.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Self Storage Industry Overview
The European self-storage Market is fragmented, with most facilities owned and operated by smaller independent operators. At the same time, new storage facilities are constantly being built by these operators throughout Europe. In addition, joint ventures or partnerships are the means for companies directly investing in self-storage real estate.
In July 2023, Shurgard Self Storage SA announced the opening a new self-storage building in the Netherlands in Amersfoort (Randstad). The combined size of the building comprises over 1,100 units and will meet the growing demand for secure and accessible storage options in the Randstad area.
In October 2022, SmartStop Self Storage REIT Inc., starting with the start of the NTT INDYCAR SERIES season in 2023, a self-managing and complete integrated storage company, has been named an official sponsor of Arrow's McLaren SP Team and its No.6 Chevrolet Corvette driven by Felix Rosenqvist.
Europe Self Storage Market Leaders
Shurgard Self Storage SA
Self Storage Group ASA
Safestore Holdings PLC
Big Yellow Group PLC
W. P. Carey Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Self Storage Market News
- October 2022: Big Yellow Group PLC has announced the opening of two new stores in Harrow and Kingston North. The two recent locations offer over 1,000 safe and secure storage rooms ranging from 9 sq ft to 500 sq ft - introducing more space into those living and working in Harrow, Kingston North, and the immediate surrounding areas. From short-term storage when renovating or moving home to flourishing businesses needing more space to store merchandise, we welcome the use of our rooms for both personal and business purposes.
- October 2022: Padlock Partners UK Fund III and operational partner Cinch Self Storage paid roughly GBP 9 million (USD 10.79 billion) for a new facility site near Watford. The company's facility has given one of a kind the option to secure storage space, which is in demand. The store will be fully refitted with more than 65,000 square meters of free space, and the company plans to open in the summer of 2023.
Europe Self Storage Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Greater Urbanization Coupled with Smaller Living Spaces
5.1.2 Changing Business Practices and COVID-19 Consumer Behavior
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Government Regulations on Storage
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By User Type
6.2 By Country
6.2.2 United Kingdom
6.2.10 Rest of Europe
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Shurgard Self Storage SA
7.1.2 Safestore Holdings PLC
7.1.3 Self Storage Group ASA
7.1.4 W P Carey Inc.
7.1.5 SureStore Ltd
7.1.6 Big Yellow Group PLC
7.1.7 Access Self Storage
7.1.8 Lok'nStore Limited
7.1.11 Pelican Self Storage
7.1.13 Casaforte (SMC Self-Storage Management)
7.1.14 W Wiedmer AG
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Europe Self Storage Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Self-storage Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Self-storage Market?
The Europe Self-storage Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.95% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Self-storage Market?
Shurgard Self Storage SA, Self Storage Group ASA, Safestore Holdings PLC, Big Yellow Group PLC, W. P. Carey Inc. are the major companies operating in Europe Self-storage Market.
Europe Self Storage Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Self-storage market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Self-storage analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.