The Europe seed coating market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.8% over the forecast period. The market value for the year 2016 was reported to be USD 282.88 million. Seed coating enhances seed performance by addition of chemicals to protect the seed from pathogens. It creates products that are both safer for users and the environment. The importance of seed coatings is to ensure proper plantability, enhanced seeding rates and preventing doubles.
Catering to the demands of farmers for high-quality seed is becoming difficult for manufacturers with rising demand for seeds. This situation has generated an opportunity for seed coating companies. The benefits of seed coating like low seeding rate and less seedling damage are leading to more manufacture of coated seeds as it is one of the simplest, safest, and most effective ways to treat any seed. Seed coating materials market in Europe is driven by factors like seed technology development, low-risk investment, and adoption of advanced farming technologies that necessitates the use of seed coating. While sustainable agricultural practices will lead to higher demand for seed coatings, disposability of coating materials and environmental concerns would create obstacles for market growth.
The European seed coating materials market is segmented on the basis of type, application, and geography. By product type, the market is divided into polymers, colorants, binders etc. Polymer has the largest market share among coating material type and is projected to grow with the increasing demand for coated seeds in the agriculture industry. Colorant is another important material accounting for around one-fourth of all the seed coatings materials used. The application of coating material is more in cereals and grain seeds accounting for more than 40% of the market share. Economic growth and industrialization of the seed industry are major factors responsible for growth in the region.
Europe was the second largest consumer of seed coating products after North America in 2015.
Key Industry Players
The key players are focusing on expanding their business in small, developing nations of the region. Acquisitions, agreements & joint ventures are the major strategies adopted by them.
Major players active in the European market are:
- Bayer CropScience AG
- BASF SE
- Germains Seed Technology
- Clariant International Ltd.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the Europe seed coating materials market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis on global and regional scales.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenarios, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market shares.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the Europe seed coating materials market on both global and regional scales.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- Wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries/regions in which this industry is growing and identifying the regions which are still untapped.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Approach & Methodology
2.2 Research Designs
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering and Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Key Findings of the Study
4. Market Overview
4.1 Seed Market Trends
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Development in Seed Technology
5.1.2 Increased demand for Multi-Functional Products Leading to Lesser Usage of Inputs in the Farm
5.1.3 Low risk of Investment
5.2.1 Disposal of Coating Materials
5.2.2 Strict Government Regulations
5.3.1 Development of Multifunctional, Environment-Friendly Materials
5.3.2 Emphasis on Sustainable Agriculture in Developed World
5.4 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
5.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
5.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
5.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
5.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
5.4.5 Degree of Competition
6. Market Segmentation
6.1 By Types
18.104.22.168 Polymer Gels
22.214.171.124 Superabsorbent Polymer Gels
6.1.4 Other Additives (Pellets, Minerals/ Pumice)
6.2 By Application
6.2.1 Cereals & Grains
6.2.3 Fruits & Vegetables
6.3 By Geography
7. Competitive Landscape
7.1 Most Adopted Strategies
7.2 Most Active Companies
7.3 Market Share Analysis
8. Company Profiles
8.1 Bayer CropScience AG
8.2 BASF SE
8.3 Chemtura Corporation
8.4 Germains Seed Technology
8.5 Incotec Group Bv
8.7 Keystone Aniline Corporation
8.8 Clariant International Ltd
8.9 Croda International PLC
8.10 Precision Laboratories, LLC
8.12 Mahendra Overseas
8.13 Chromatech Incorporated