Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market Analysis
The European alcoholic beverage market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.5% during the forecast period.
- Consumers across the region have been developing more sophisticated palates than before. They are constantly in search of unique as well as a high-quality alcoholic beverage. This has increased the demand for premium-quality alcoholic beverages in the market. Product innovation and economic growth make consumers opt for expensive alcoholic beverages. New product launches and innovations in alcoholic drinks are leading to the development of the industry.
- Companies are launching innovative products due to changing consumer preferences. This rise in health awareness has resulted in the creation of functional premium alcoholic beverages. The inclusion of different natural and exotic ingredients in alcohol tends to improve its functional properties, thereby gaining attention from a more extensive set of customers.
- For instance, in March 2022, Whitley Neill, a premium gin brand in the United Kingdom, launched a new gin variant, Oriental Spiced Gin. This gin consists of different botanicals and spices like coriander, ginger, chili, cumin, saffron, star anise, and grains of paradise.
- Furthermore, specialty beer has been gaining popularity among consumers in the Europe alcoholic beverage market, specifically younger consumers. The demand for light and fruity flavors in alcoholic beverages is driving the demand for craft beer, thereby escalating the demand for alcoholic beverages in the market.
- However, the prominence of health adversities associated with excessive alcoholic beverage consumption is prominent across Europe. The number of deaths related to alcohol consumption is rising, restraining the growth of the market studied.
- According to World Health Organization (WHO), as of 2022, the number of death caused by harmful use of alcohol catered to 3 million worldwide, representing around 5.3% of the total deaths across the globe. Therefore, the numerous health effects associated with alcohol might restrain the market's growth.
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market according to our research experts:
Increased Demand for Craft Beer
- The market growth is primarily boosted by the more significant number of millennials showing interest in craft beers, seeking a fresh and new taste, along with the soothing ambiance of the microbreweries and brewpubs. Factors such as increasing demand for beer variants, per-capita consumption, and the number of associations focused on disseminating information about different beers are expected to drive the market's growth.
- According to the Brewers of Europe, in 2020, Czechia had the highest per capita consumption of beer in Europe, with 135 liters of beer consumed, followed by Austria with 100 liters per person, Germany at 95 liters, Poland at 93 liters, and Romania at 87 liters.
- Additionally, the popularity of specialty beer (craft beer) has been on the rise. Many players have been entering the market with their product offerings specially tailored for different target groups of customers.
- According to the European Union Beer statistics, 9,500 breweries were in operation in the European Union in 2020, an increase of nearly 1,000. As of 2021, there are about 6,000 more breweries than there were in the previous year. Key players such as Anheuser-Busch In Bev are repositioning their strategies and bringing craft beers as an essential part of their growth plans to supplement the sales.
Germany Dominates the Market
- The alcoholic beverage market in Germany is driven by the long and hot summer and the various new product launches in trending categories. These factors have led to a rise in the demand for refreshing beverages, including alcoholic drinks such as sparkling wines, martinis, and other such drinks.
- The healthy lifestyle megatrend has manifested itself in different ways, including the rising demand for growth in natural wines and the increasing use of natural botanicals as gin ingredients. According to the UN Comtrade, Germany imported sparkling wine worth approximately USD 546 Million in the year 2021.
- Moreover, premiumization has taken advantage of German wine varieties, owing to increased attention toward local wine supported by the surge in domestic tourism, including in wine-growing regions such as those along the Mosel and the Rhine rivers.
- Further, this translated into a propelled demand for Pinot Gris still white wine, also known as Grauburgunder, across the region. This is one of the fastest-growing premium local wines. Furthermore, supermarkets and internet retailing are preferred because of the extended product range, including a greater range of premium and craft alcoholic drinks. The quality perception offered by supermarkets continued to persuade more consumers to be frequent this channel.
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Industry Overview
The European alcoholic beverage industry is consolidated, with a few companies holding the maximum market shares. Product launches, new mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and expansions are the most preferred strategies by companies to strengthen their positions in the market. Despite the presence of a huge number of players in the market studied, the major market shares are held by key players, including Diageo, Bacardi, Heineken Holding NV, Pernod Ricard, and Anheuser-Busch InBev in the European alcoholic beverage market. Premiumization of the industry remains one of the major factors driving the alcoholic beverage market, particularly spirits and wine. One of the leading players, Diageo, is increasingly moving to dominate the premium spirits under its brands, Ciroc, Ketel One, and Smirnoff.
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market Leaders
Heineken Holding NV
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market News
- March 2022: Heineken launched Heineken Silver, a premium lager aimed at Gen Y and Z drinkers in the United Kingdom and European Union. The new lager (4% ABV) is available in 4x330ml bottles, 12x330ml bottles, and 6x330ml slim-line cans. The range offers a premium and modern packaging design.
- February 2022: The United Kingdom division of Anheuser-Busch InBev launched Stella Artois Unfiltered lager beer in the country. Standard Stella Artois has a 4.6% abv available in six- and 12-packs of 33cl cans and 66cl individual cans.
- March 2021: Heineken launched Pure Piraña hard seltzer in Europe following a successful trial in Mexico and New Zealand. The hard seltzer is initially available in Austria, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.2 Distribution Channel
22.214.171.124 Specialist Stores
126.96.36.199 Online Retail Stores
188.8.131.52 Other Off-trade Channels
5.3.1 United Kingdom
5.3.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Diageo PLC
6.3.2 Bacardi Limited
6.3.3 Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV
6.3.4 Heineken Holding NV
6.3.5 Molson Coors Brewing Company
6.3.6 Pernod Ricard SA
6.3.7 LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
6.3.8 E & J Gallo Winery
6.3.9 Carlsberg Breweries A/S
6.3.10 Bronco Wine Company
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market Research FAQs
What is the current Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market size?
The Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.5% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market?
Pernod Ricard, Diageo Plc, Bacardi Limited, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Heineken Holding NV are the major companies operating in the Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market.
What years does this Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market cover?
The report covers the Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Europe Alcoholic Beverage Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Europe Alcoholic Beverage Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Europe Alcoholic Beverage market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Alcoholic Beverage analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.