|Study Period:||2019- 2026|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The United States LED market was valued at USD 8.58 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 15.23 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 9.85% over the forecast period (2021-2026). The outbreak of COVID-19 has led to a weakened growth of industrial output and the decline in light-manufacturing production across significant manufacturing hubs, owing to the halting of production and disruption in the supply chain across the country. According to the US Department of Energy's report published in July 2021, many LED manufacturers cited a decreased demand for lighting products due to the challenges faced after the COVID-19 pandemic. Quarterly earnings dropped substantially for publicly traded LED lighting manufacturers.
- The growing demand for energy-efficient lighting systems, declining prices of LED products, and stringent government regulations are some of the major factors driving the adoption of LED lighting in the country. LEDs have been undergoing rapid technological and economic development as a new source of illumination in the country, motivating investment in the sector. The United States is one of the significant adopters, innovators, and investors in the global LED market. LED lighting is currently available in a wide variety of home and industrial products in the domestic space, and the list has been growing significantly.
- According to the US Department of Energy, most of the projected energy savings in 2035 may be driven by the increased use of LED lighting in commercial and industrial buildings and outdoor lighting applications characterized by high light output and extended operating hours.
- Moreover, Local manufacturers, like Acuity Brands, are some of the significant innovators at the domestic and global levels. The company's new product, Cadiant, has brought new development in the LED market. According to Cree, the cost premium of LED-based lamps in the United States has mostly been eliminated. Therefore, many consumers may continue to move to LEDs, given the inherent energy savings and long lifetimes, which is expected to significantly improve the studied market growth over the forecast period.
- The integration of intelligent features for connected lighting has also been emerging as one of the significant drivers in the market studied, as LED is one of the major components. Government initiatives for smart cities have been majorly contributing to the increasing demand for smart lighting solutions. Connected lighting systems are anticipated to emerge as one of the most critical components of the smart city infrastructure.
- With the rising smart home trend in the region, there has been an increasing demand for intelligent LED lighting systems connected with other electronic devices and can be controlled remotely. The regional market vendors have also been focusing on making connected lighting more accessible, which has also been bringing innovation at the global level.
Scope of the Report
LED stands for light-emitting diode. LED lighting products produce light approximately 90% more efficiently than other types of light bulbs, such as fluorescent and incandescent lights. About 95% of the energy in LEDs is converted into light, and only 5% is wasted as heat, leading the consumers to opt for a more efficient form of lighting.
The market is segmented by different applications of LED lighting, such as indoor and outdoor. The market is segmented by product type - Lamp, Luminaries, and various distribution channels - Direct Sales and Wholesale Retails. The study is further structured to provide insights into the penetration of LED across end-user verticals, including residential, commercial office spaces, industrial, retail, hospitality, healthcare, among other verticals.
|By Product Type|
|By Distribution Channel|
|By End-user Vertical|
|Commercial Office Spaces|
|Healthcare and Other Verticals|
Key Market Trends
Residential Sector Accounts for the Largest Market Share
- The residential segment occupies a significant share of the market, and it is expected to retain its position during the forecast period. LEDs have been witnessing an increasing adoption from the residential sector in the United States. Also, according to the Energy Information Administration, in FY 2020, the residential sector electricity consumption for the lighting was around 62 billion kWh, or approximately 4%, of the total residential sector electricity consumption and about 2% of the total US electricity consumption.
- Moreover, Government regulations are significant factors shifting the residential consumers’ affinity toward more efficient products, such as LED lighting. Despite the increasing market and regulatory uncertainties, residential lighting represents a significant share of ratepayer-funded energy efficiency electricity savings.
- However, most of the energy efficiency programs have transitioned to promote solid-state LED lamps instead of CFLs. This transition may probably accelerate further because of the new ENERGY STAR v2.0 lighting specifications that are effectively limited to LED lamps. LEDs gained tremendous momentum and a higher market share, while future CFL production may become increasingly unlikely.
- Incandescent light bulbs have been used traditionally in the United States for household lighting. The basic technology in incandescent bulbs has not changed substantially, although they convert less than 10% of their energy input into light. Improving light bulb performance can reduce the overall energy usage in the United States, further driving the demand for LED lighting products.
- Further, closet shed lights and other home applications require one or two LED lighting for operation and are often battery operated. Owing to the increasing consumer demand, several market players are offering solutions to capitalize on the opportunity. For instance, the US-based revolution lighting offers ambient luminaires for natural, flat, and ambient lighting needs, ideal for residential settings.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Outdoor LED Holds Major Share in the Market
- The outdoor LED lighting in the United States covers areas like a roadway, parking, and exterior building lighting, to serve purposes like creating a sense of personal security, providing proper illumination for pedestrian and vehicular traffic, and attracting attention to business and spaces.
- Several government initiatives, public-private deals, and product innovations and improvisations are expected to boost the adoption of enhanced street lighting solutions in the country, thus boosting market growth. For instance, the 70/75 Airport Logistics Access Project, led by the Montgomery County Transportation Improvement District (TID), is considering a roadway project to improve access to the Dayton International Airport to address the significant growth in activity in the manufacturing, logistics, and distribution sector.
- Moreover, the Michigan Department of Transportation partnered with Freeway Lighting Partner LLC signing a 15 years contract to design-build and finance the improvements on existing freeway and tunnel lighting systems and maintain the existing and improved lighting system for the remaining operating and maintenance period. Freeway Lighting Partner LLC will hand back the lighting system to MDOT at the end of the contract term.
- In August 2020, the Department of Public Utilities in the City of Richmond converted 7,500 streetlight fixtures to LED lighting for residential and commercial uses to meet sustainability, safety, and security needs and provide much-needed public safety and quality of life.
- Further, Innovative city projects have gained momentum over the last decade. More municipalities across the country have launched a wide variety of digital transformation initiatives to realize the benefits of utilizing technology to manage assets and resources that ultimately enhance city operations.
The United States LED market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. These major players with a prominent share in the market focus on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These companies are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability.
- July 2021 - US LED Ltd announced its L-Grid Edge Xtreme XL Select launch, a new generation of LED flat panels with selectable CCT and wattage options. More than just a light, they are engineered to bring superior visual comfort to retail stores and offices while accelerating installation.
- March 2021 - NICHIA has announced its H6 series. Implemented into NICHIA's 3030 mid-power 757 packages to start, the new family of LEDs delivers the most significant multi-level boost in color rendition and efficacy while maintaining the outstanding lifetime expected from NICHIA.
- September 2021 - NICHIA launched a high radiant flux density LED called UV-C LED to sterile and deactivated different viruses and bacteria, including the new COVID-19 virus. This LED has a high-power conversion efficiency, runs on the input power of 350mA/5.7V to provide a radiant flux of 62mW, and demonstrates three times the radiant flux per unit area compared to other conventional products.
- July 2021 - NICHIA introduced 219F series LEDs, a high-power LED solution and an alternative to the ideal mercury-free lamps and high-pressure sodium lamps. These LEDs provide a low 1800K correlated color temperature and are mainly used for lighting outdoor areas, parks, and street lighting applications.
- January 2021 - Signify announced a new product portfolio, Philips Hue, in the United States market; the product ecosystem includes a new Philips Hue dimmer switch, Philips Hue Amarant, and Philips Hue wall switch module personalizing gardens and porches with an outdoor LED light. These products are used to make existing light switches into smart switches.
- December 2020 - Signify and Honeywell partnered to deploy integrated, intelligent lighting solutions for commercial buildings. The combined offerings may manage energy consumption while factoring in occupancy, along with air quality indicators such as temperature and humidity.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Industry Value chain Analysis
4.4 Technology and Price Trends
4.5 Impact of COVID-19 on the LED Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Demand for Energy-efficient Lighting Systems and Stringent Government Regulations
5.1.2 Growing Industrial Applications of LED
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Volatile Economic Situations, Combined with the Dominance of Conventional Lights
5.2.2 High Initial Investment
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product Type
6.2 By Application
6.3 By Distribution Channel
6.3.1 Direct Sales
6.3.2 Wholesale Retail
6.4 By End-user Vertical
6.4.2 Commercial Office Spaces
6.4.6 Healthcare and Other Verticals
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Emerson Electric Co.
7.1.2 Signify Holding (Philips Lighting)
7.1.3 OSRAM Sylvania Inc. (OSRAM Licht Group)
7.1.4 Nichia Corporation
7.1.5 Acuity Brands Inc.
7.1.6 Cree Lighting (Ideal Industries Inc.)
7.1.7 ABB Inc.
7.1.8 Savant Systems Inc.
7.1.9 Hubbell Incorporated
7.1.10 US LED Ltd
7.1.11 Titan LED Lighting Solutions
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The US LED Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of US LED Market?
The US LED Market is growing at a CAGR of 9.85% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in US LED Market?
Emerson Electric Co, Signify Holding (Philips Lighting) , OSRAM Sylvania Inc. (OSRAM Licht Group), Nichia Corporation, Acuity Brands Inc. are the major companies operating in US LED Market.