Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market Analysis
The Automotive Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering Market was valued at USD 21 Billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 32.05 Billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 7.01% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The Automotive Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering Market registered a steep fall during COVID-19 due to manufacturing shutdowns, lockdowns, and trade restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic in the year 2020. Furthermore, the fall in automotive production and lack of labor significantly impacted the market. Since automotive manufacturers resumed operations in the year 2021 due to steadily rising automobile sales in countries with a limited number of COVID-19 cases, the market is likely to recover during the forecast market. Furthermore, the manufacturers are implementing contingency plans to mitigate future business uncertainties to retain continuity with clients in the critical sectors of the automobile industry.
Over the long term, increasing investments in R&D by major industry players and a rise in sales of electric and hybrid vehicles as well as rising demand for commercial vehicles from the E-commerce sector are creating demand in the automotive and transportation industry with a surge in sales of automotive electro-hydraulic power steering systems. Some factors like high cost of electro-hydraulic power steering systems and strong focus of major commercial vehicle manufacturers on cost cutting may hamper the growth outlook of automotive electro-hydraulic power steering systems industry.
Key players in the market are expanding their production capacity to cater to the increased demand for electro-hydraulic power steering systems and also engaging in mergers and acquisitions to bolster their portfolio.. For instance, in August 2022 Kogsberg Automotive announced divestiture of its Shawinigan operations in Canada to Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc. (BRP Inc.) for EUR 104 million. The Shawinigan manufacturing facility produces sensors, actuators, electronic power steering, wire harnesses,and dashboard assemblies for powersports and recreational vehicles. Also in June 2021 ZF inuagurated a manufacturing plant of 60000 square meter to produce components for commercial vehicles located at Jiaxing in Zhejiang Province in China. The plant will manufacture commercial vehicle transmissions, electro-hydraulic power steering systems, electric central drive systems, electric axle drive systems, power module assemblies, low-floor axles and next-generation mobility solutions.
The largest market for electro-hydraulic power systems is Asia-Pacific due to the presence of large automotive steering OEMs, high sales of commercial vehicles and well developed automotive components industry. North America and Europe are next biggest markets due to the preence of major OEMs like ZF Friedschafen AG and ThyssenKrupp AG as well as strong sales of commercial vehicles including long distance touring coaches and multi axle trucks.
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Industry Segmentation
An electric power steering (EPS) does not use any form of hydraulic pressure to provide steering assistance. This technology is fully electronic and uses an electric motor to provide direct assistance. Since there is no power lost in generating and transmitting hydraulic power, these systems are typically more efficient than conventional hydraulic or electro-hydraulic steering systems.
The automotive electro-hydraulic power steering market has been segmented by vehicle type, component type, and geography. By Vehicle type, the market is segmented into Passenger Vehicles and Commercial Vehicles. By Component type, the market is segmented into Steering motors, Sensors, and Others.
By Geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World. For each segment market sizing and forecast have been done on basis of value (USD billion).
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market according to our research experts:
Steering Motor Segment Expected to Dominate the Market
Today most drivers are demanding superior driving comfort and demand for vehicles fitted with power steering including those fitted with electro-hydraulic power steering are seeing a significant rise in sales due to this trend of preferring vehicles that offer high driving comfort. The significant changes in electric power steering (EPS) technologies that are driven by the improvements and advancements in steering sensors are also providing a big impetus to the sales of electro-hydraulic power steering systems.
Many auto manufacturers and OEMs, such as Bosch, Nexteer, Volkswagen, Audi, Peugeot, and Citroen, are increasingly researching and adopting electric power steering in their upcoming vehicles, which may deter the growth of electro-hydraulic systems. Steering OEMs are also launching electro-hydraulic power steering systems designed specifically for electric and autonomous vehicles. For instance,
- In August 2022, ZF's Commercial Vehicle Solutions (CVS) introduced a new electric power steering system specifically designed for electric trucks, city buses, and coaches. The electric power steering has been developed for steer-by-wire and supports up to Level 5 of vehicle autonomy.
The Steering Motor sub-segment contributes 80% of revenue to the overall automotive elector-hydraulic power steering market by component type because steering motors are more cost-effective and easy to maintain than other components like sensors. Many manufacturers are introducing new steering motors which simplify the structure and offer good weight reduction by maintaining fewer drive circuits and integrating other components with the motor windings. These new generation electro-hydraulic power steering motors are expected to further strenghten the market share of Steering Motor sub-segment in the Component segment. For instance,
- In September 2022, Knorr Bremse luanched new the all-electric electric power steering system, and AHPS (Advanced Hybrid Power Steering) overlay steering system at IAA Transportation in Germany.
- In September 2020, Denso Corp. launched new EPS-MUC named DDA2 (DENSO Dual Assist) a second generation electro-hydraulic power steering motor which offers a simplified structure with a 10% weight reduction compared to the first generation of the same motor.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Commercial Vehicles market expected to Witness High Growth in China and India
The Asia -Pacific is expected to be dominant market followed by North America and Europe. Asia-Pacific is a huge market for vehicles, such as heavy trucks, construction machinery, and agricultural machinery. India and China are some of the largest markets for commercial vehicles in the world which contribute to almost 20% of the worldwide commercial vehicle sales thus making Asia-Pacific the most lucrative market for electro-hydraulic power steering systems.
China recorded sales of 5.1 million commercial vehicles in 2021 a Year on Year increase of 18.7% and India also saw commercial sales of 0.71 million units registering a Year on Year growth of 26%, thus booming commercial vehicle sales in these markets are anticipated to induce considerable growth in the global automotive electro-hydraulic power steering industry.
Electro-hydraulic power steering systems are employed in the majority of these vehicles within the region. A hydraulic power-assist steering system proposed by Tata Motors from India features a magnetic clutch between the engine and steering pump so that the pump could work only on-demand, which reduces energy consumption. This simple strategy is now being implemented in heavy-duty vehicles.
Europe and North America are also major markets due to the large presence of automotive steering OEMs and the prevalence of road transport as a major transport industry which leads to high commercial vehicle sales in these geographies. Thus, with companies coming up with innovations and capacity expansions in this segment, the market for electro-hydraulic power steering systems is expected to grow over the forecast period for the commercial vehicles segment. For instance,
- In August 2022, ZF announced that its subsidiary ZF Automotive Technologies Shanghai Co. Ltd. signed a new Memorandum of Understanding with Shanghai Economic Development Center to expand the production of electric power steering at its Anting plant.
- In June 2022, Schaeffler AG launched its new steer-by-wire system which eliminates the need for any type of mechanical connection between the steering wheel and steering gear at the Schaeffler Kolloquium event in Germany.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Industry Overview
The automotive electro-hydraulic power steering is highly consolidated. the market is characterized by the presence of considerably large players who have secured long-term supply contracts with major automotive OEMs. These players also engage in joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, new product launches, and product development to expand their brand portfolios and cement their market positions.
Some of the major players dominating the global market are JTEKT Corporation, Nexteer Automotive Group Ltd, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, NSK Ltd, Hitachi Astemo Ltd., and Robert Bosch GmbH. Key players are launching new products to secure their market position and stay ahead of the market curve. For instance,
- In September 2022, Robert Bosch AG launched ServoE and Servotwin electro-hydraulic steering systems for heavy commercial vehicles.
- In October 2021, Nexteer Automotive launched its new mCEPs (Modular Column Assist EPS System), The mCEPS has an expandable electronic control system and modular platform which enables it to be cost-effective and highly customizable to suit a wide range of OEMs' requirements.
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market Leaders
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Bosch Mobility Solutions
NSK Steering Systems Co. Ltd.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market News
- In May 2022, CNXMotion the joint venture between Nexteer Automotive and Continental Automotive announced new software capabilities for their Brake to Steer (BtS) systems providing backup safety layers to all their EPS (Electronic Power Steering ) systems and Steer by Wire (StW) systems across all SAE (Society of Automobile Engineers) recognized levels of vehicle autonomy.
- In August 2022, Hyundai Mobis announced the reorganization of its module and components into two different subsidiaries. One subsidiary will focus on the manufacture of modules for electric vehicles and the other will focus on manufacturing parts like steering wheels, brakes and airbags.
- In July 2022, ZF premiered a new steer-by-wire system suitable for autonomous shuttles and robotaxis. The new steer by wire system would be available commercially by 2023. The OEM has procured major contracts for this new steer-by-wire system in all the major regions establishing ZF as a global leader in steer-by-wire systems for autonomous vehicles.
- In May 2022, NSK Ltd. and ThyssenkruppThyssenKrupp AG signed a Memorandum of Understanding for creating a new joint venture. The newly signed joint venture includes the strategic alignment of product areas in Thyssenkrupp AG's automotive business with NSK Ltd.'s steering business and aims for a partnership approach between the two OEMs. The joint venture is expected to be operational by the end of 2022.
- In June 2022, Robert Bosch AG announced to invest EUR 130 million to build new logistics and production area of 70000 square meters at Maklar in Hungary where they will manufacture steering systems for cars and trucks. This investment has been made to expand the production capacity at their exixting facility.
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value USD billion)
5.1 Component Type
5.1.1 Steering Motor
5.2 Vehicle Type
5.2.1 Passenger Vehicles
5.2.2 Commercial Vehicles
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 South Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 JTEKT Corporation
6.2.2 Nexteer Automotive
6.2.3 NSK Ltd
6.2.4 Robert Bosch GmbH
6.2.5 ZF Friedrichshafen AG
6.2.6 Showa Group
6.2.7 Continental AG
6.2.8 thyssenkrupp AG
6.2.9 Hitachi Astemo Ltd.
6.2.10 Continental AG
6.2.11 Danfoss A/S
6.2.12 Mando Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market?
The Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market is growing at a CAGR of 7% over the next 5 years.
What is Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market size in 2018?
The Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market is valued at 21 Billion USD in 2018.
What is Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market size in 2028?
The Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market is valued at 32 Billion USD in 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market?
ZF Friedrichshafen AG, JTEKT Corporation, Nexteer Automotive, Bosch Mobility Solutions, NSK Steering Systems Co. Ltd. are the major companies operating in Automotive Electro-hydraulic Power Steering Market.
Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Electro Hydraulic Power Steering market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Electro Hydraulic Power Steering analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.