Egypt Power EPC Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
|CAGR||> 2.50 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Egypt Power EPC Market Analysis
The Egypt Power EPC market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 2.5% during the forecast period.
COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. Presently the market has reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the long term, the increasing investments in the expansion and modernization of the transmission and distribution segment are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- On the other hand, the lack of domestic investment and investors in the concerned sector is expected to restrain the Egypt Power EPC Market during the forecast period.
- Nevertheless, the exploitation of novel renewable energy technologies, such as power generation from marine and tidal energy, remains a significant growth opportunity for the market beyond the forecast period.
Egypt Power EPC Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Egypt Power EPC Market according to our research experts:
Conventional Thermal Segment Expected to Dominate the Market
- Conventional thermal is the power generated through various sources such as coal, natural gas, oil, and nuclear. Egypt has traditionally depended on fossil fuels for energy generation, and due to this, the country's current power generation mix is dominated by thermal generation.
- As of 2021, according to the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company (EEHC), installed capacity stood at nearly 58.82 GW, of which nearly 52.97 GW (~90%) came from conventional thermal power plants.
- In Egypt, conventional thermal plants can be segmented into natural gas, steam (fired by oil), and combined cycle based on fuel and operation. Of the total installed capacity, nearly 55.2% came from combined cycle plants, while oil and gas-fired capacity accounted for 29.2% and 5.7% of the total capacity.
- Despite investing in renewables, the country is still investing in the expansion of its present thermal capacity. For instance, in December 2020, SEPCO III, a subsidiary of POWERCHINA, signed an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract with ACWA Power for the planned 2,389 MW Luxor Power Plant in Egypt. The USD 2.2 billion combined cycles Dairut-Luxor IPP (Independent Power Producer) project would be developed under the Build-Own-Operate (BOO) scheme. It will use natural gas and alternative liquid fuel.
- Therefore, owing to the overwhelming dominance, the conventional thermal segment is expected to dominate the Egypt power EPC market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing investments in the Transmission and Distribution segment to drive the Market
- Egypt is one of the most populated Middle-East and African countries. Due to its growing population and urbanization, power demand has grown significantly during the last few years. To meet the domestic demand, the country has been upscaling its power generation capabilities by adding new power generation capacity to the grid, both from conventional and renewable sources.
- The country is also investing heavily in the upgradation and interconnection of its national grid with regional neighbors to develop a unified national grid to transform Egypt into a regional and global hub for energy exchange between the Arab countries, Africa, and Europe. To achieve this, the country is working on major interconnection projects with Saudi Arabia, Cyprus, Greece, and the Gulf Interconnection Authority.
- According to the Egyptian Electricity Holding Company (EEHC), over the period of 2020/21, the total transformer capacity in Egypt increased by 12.4%, while the total number of transformers increased by 3.4%, and the total number of substations increased by 2.5%.
- The market is dominated by the 66 kV segment in terms of capacity due to 66 kV transformers being most commonly deployed for mid-range transmission across the country, while the 220 kV transformers, though lesser in number, have a higher cumulative MVa capacity due to the deployment of these transformers in long-range transmission across the Nile Valley. As investments in this market segment rise, these subsegments are expected to drive the Transmission and Distribution segment during the forecast period.
- Another factor influencing the growth of the power transformer is the increasing renewable energy generation. As of 2021, Egypt has a total installed renewable capacity of 3.02 GW, and the country has set a target of producing 42% of its total electricity from renewable sources. During 2017 and 2020, Egypt's installed renewable energy capacity grew at a CAGR of greater than 50%, while generation from wind and solar increased by 24.2% and 11.6% year-on-year during 2021. The market was heavily affected the COVID-19 pandemic, as no capacity additions were made during 2020/21. However, many large renewable energy projects are under development, and the installed renewable capacity is expected to grow steadily during the forecast period.
- Most of the renewable capacity comes from the 1465 MW Benban Solar PV plant, the 26 MW Kom Ombo Solar PV plant, the 20 MW Kuraimat Solar CSP plant, and the 1385 MW wind farms. As renewable energy generation from sources such as solar and wind is variable, traditional transformers are unsuitable for grid integration of electricity generated from renewable energy. Due to this, renewable energy grids require smart transformers which allow bi-directional electricity flow, which prevents wastage or deficit of electricity.
- Such large-scale developments in the electricity generation and transmission sectors are expected to drive the power EPC market in the country during the forecast period.
Egypt Power EPC Industry Overview
The Egypt Power EPC Market is moderately fragmented. Some of the key players in this market (not in particular order) include Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Corp (Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems), AMEA Power LLC, ElSewedy Electric Co, and General Electric Company, among others.
Egypt Power EPC Market Leaders
Mitsubishi Corp (Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems)
AMEA Power LLC
ElSewedy Electric Co -
General Electric Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Egypt Power EPC Market News
- November 2022: Doosan Enerbility secured a KRW 1.6 trillion (USD 1.2 billion) contract from Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power (KHNP) to build a turbine island at the El Dabaa Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) in Egypt.
- April 2021: a consortium of Germany's Belectric and Athens-headquartered Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) has been awarded a contract to build and operate a 50MW photovoltaic (PV) solar plant in Zafarana, Egypt, by the New & Renewable Energy Authority (NREA) of Egypt. The project is being funded by the German Development Bank (kfW).
Egypt Power EPC Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGEMENTATION
5.1 Generation - Source
5.1.1 Conventional Thermal
5.1.3 Non-Hyro Renewables
5.2 Transmission and Distribution
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers, Acquisitions, Collaboration and Joint Ventures
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Key Players
6.3 Companies Profile
6.3.1 ElSewedy Electric Co
6.3.2 Mitsubishi Corp (Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems)
6.3.3 Siemens AG
6.3.4 AMEA Power LLC
6.3.5 General Electric Company
6.3.6 Cairo Solar
6.3.8 Engie SA
6.3.9 Ras Ghareb Wind Energy S.A.E
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES and FUTURE TRENDS
Egypt Power EPC Market Research FAQs
What is the current Egypt Power EPC Market size?
The Egypt Power EPC Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 2.5% during the forecast period (2023-2027).
Who are the key players in Egypt Power EPC Market?
Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Corp (Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems), AMEA Power LLC, ElSewedy Electric Co - and General Electric Company are the major companies operating in the Egypt Power EPC Market.
Power EPC in Egypt Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Power EPC in Egypt market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Power EPC in Egypt analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.