Ecommerce Packaging Market Size
|Market Size (2023)||USD 60.5 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 115.62 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||13.83 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Ecommerce Packaging Market Analysis
The E-Commerce Packaging Market size is expected to grow from USD 60.50 billion in 2023 to USD 115.62 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 13.83% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Online spending is rising, the internet and smartphones are becoming more widely used, and the economy is expanding quickly. However, the lack of first-hand product experience prior to purchase and the limited penetration of internet enterprises in rural areas of the world are anticipated to be significant growth inhibitors for the sector. Further, the Russia-Ukraine war had an impact on the overall packaging ecosystem.
- E-commerce websites have become a popular choice among consumers for purchasing goods for various reasons, including at-home delivery, convenience, and easy product searching. The fast global expansion of the e-commerce business has dramatically increased the demand for solid packaging solutions.
- Rising internet penetration and growing access to the internet for most of the population in developing economies across the globe have created tremendous potential market opportunities for e-commerce and packaging providers to venture into untapped markets and gain substantial market share during the process.
- The awareness about plastic waste is growing, and companies focus on minimizing it and offering 100% recyclable and biodegradable products.
- The market increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. Most countries, notably China, the United States, and Germany, established restrictions on the movement of people and goods. However, due to customer demand for necessary commodities such as food, pharmaceuticals, veggies, and other things, the e-commerce industry was exempted from these laws. E-commerce platforms are vital in preventing virus spread by limiting people's movement and providing door-to-door delivery services.
- The lack of understanding of e-commerce platforms among the rural population would hamper the market's expansion. Consumers are becoming increasingly interested in the e-commerce industry, and governments are actively supporting the deployment of innovative approaches to broaden company options. However, the lack of growth in underdeveloped countries restricts the market from tapping into these regions due to fewer demands.
Ecommerce Packaging Market Trends
Consumer Electronics Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- Consumer electronics are shaping consumers' security, communications, and entertainment lifestyles. Over 2.14 billion people were estimated to shop online in the year 2021. Consumer electronics is the segment that has a shorter changeover period. Also, the adoption of consumer electronics is reaching a new high every month, increasing shipments yearly.
- E-Commerce has gained consumers' trust in quality deliverables and aftersales support, encouraging them for multiple orders online. Packaging solutions offer robust packaging solutions to sustain damages during handling and logistics.
- The mobile market is the refreshed category of consumer electronics with the highest penetration, and with continuous development by the technologies, the mobile market growth is multiplying. Also, in response to this growth, e-commerce companies are partnering for their launches and distribution, resulting in the growing demand for the e-commerce packaging market.
- The increasing number of product developments will increase the industry's growth rate by opening up new market opportunities. Various product innovations illuminating design and manufacturing processes also assist market growth. Technological improvements in developing effective and environmentally friendly e-commerce packaging are projected to generate profitable opportunities for manufacturers in the e-commerce packaging market.
- Many e-commerce companies focus on sustainable packaging solutions to reduce plastic waste and move towards paper-based packaging. The trend is also expected to hit the consumer electronics segment, which is sensitive to external impacts with better design to make packaging more robust. For instance, e-commerce giant Amazon introduced a Frustration-Free Packaging solution to eliminate additional shipping boxes.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific is Expected to Hold the largest Share
- Asia-Pacific is one of the world's fastest-growing e-commerce markets. Growing client bases in key countries such as India and China drive increased e-commerce shipments. As a result, there will be greater demand for packaging solutions in the area.
- Government attempts to promote digitalization constantly introduce individuals to online modes of commerce, fueling demand for e-commerce packaging solutions in the region. India has a favorable FDI policy of 100 percent, which encourages corporations like Amazon to establish a greater presence in the country.
- IBEF has said that increasing internet penetration and relatively stronger economic performance will lead India's E-commerce revenue to climb from USD 46.2 billion in 2020 to USD 188 billion in 2025, the fastest growing in the world.
- The Asia-Pacific region held the largest market share in 2021 and is expected to hold that position throughout the forecast period. The expanding internet penetration, the growing number of smartphone users, and the rising youthful demographic consumer base all contribute to the company's dominance. Furthermore, large e-commerce companies in the region, such as Alibaba, Amazon, and Flipkart, will increase the region's usage of online packaging services.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Ecommerce Packaging Industry Overview
The availability of several players providing e-commerce packaging solutions has intensified the competition in the market. Therefore, the market is moderately fragmented, with many companies developing expansion strategies. Key players operating in the market include Amcor PLC, Mondi PLC, International Paper Company, and Smurfit Kappa Group PLC, among others.
In May 2022, Smurfit Kappa UK Limited, an integrated manufacturer of paper-based packaging products, announced the acquisition of Atlas Packaging. Based in Barnstaple, North Devon, Atlas Packaging is an independent corrugated packaging provider. The company is well invested with a strong market presence in the UK, allowing it to meet the needs of and deliver value to its broad customer base. With a powerful presence in shelf-ready packaging, gift boxing, and the e-commerce sector, they offer an exciting and wide range of innovative products.
Ecommerce Packaging Market Leaders
International Paper Company
Smurfit Kappa Group PLC
DS Smith PLC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Ecommerce Packaging Market News
- July 2022 - Reckitt launches minimalist e-commerce packaging for Vanish. Reckitt energy model Vanish is launching Vanish Multipower Tabs with packaging and model expertise designed particularly for web shoppers, including in its e-commerce portfolio alongside Vanish Miracle. The Vanish Multipower Tabs have been developed as a compressed powder model of the model's top product to permit minimal packaging. The SIOC (shipped in a personal container) format removes the necessity for an outer pack for online fulfillment, lowering packaging considerably.
- May 2022 - Mondi, a global player in sustainable paper and packaging, collaborated with German machine supplier beck packautomaten to launch a robust, flexible paper-based packaging solution dedicated to the eCommerce industry. The solution uses 95% paper and is recyclable across all European paper waste streams. FunctionalBarrier Paper can replace unnecessary plastic packaging, enabling shipments to arrive safely in sustainable and right-sized packaging.
Ecommerce Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Value Chain Analysis
4.2 Market Overview
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material Type
6.1.4 Other Materials
6.2 End User
6.2.1 Fashion & Apparel
6.2.2 Consumer Electronics
6.2.3 Food & Beverages
6.2.4 Personal Care Products
6.2.5 Other End-Users
6.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
18.104.22.168 Rest of Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East & Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle & Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 COMPANY PROFILES
7.1.1 Amcor PLC
7.1.2 Mondi PLC
7.1.3 International Paper Company
7.1.4 Smurfit Kappa Group PLC
7.1.5 DS Smith PLC
7.1.6 Klabin SA
7.1.7 Georgia-Pacific LLC
7.1.8 Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd
7.1.9 Pacman LLC
7.1.10 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.11 Rengo Co. Ltd
7.1.12 Shorr Packaging Corporation
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Ecommerce Packaging Market Research FAQs
How big is the E-Commerce Packaging Market?
The E-Commerce Packaging Market size is expected to reach USD 60.5 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 13.83% to reach USD 115.62 billion by 2028.
What is the current E-Commerce Packaging Market size?
In 2023, the E-Commerce Packaging Market size is expected to reach USD 60.5 billion.
Who are the key players in E-Commerce Packaging Market?
Amcor PLC, Mondi PLC, International Paper Company, Smurfit Kappa Group PLC and DS Smith PLC are the major companies operating in the E-Commerce Packaging Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in E-Commerce Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in E-Commerce Packaging Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the E-Commerce Packaging Market.
Ecommerce Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Ecommerce Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Ecommerce Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.