Data Center Rack PDU Market Size
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Data Center Rack PDU Market Analysis
The data center rack PDU market is expected to register a 7.63% CAGR during the forecast period.
- Datacenter management teams are constantly looking for new ways and approaches to improve energy efficiency while providing a modular and highly adaptable IT environment to support service-oriented architectures and rapid changes in demand parameters.
- Although software, systems, and storage have become highly adaptable, this matters in the data center only if the power infrastructure is also adaptable. These fundamental requirements have propelled the data center rack PDU market. Furthermore, the increasing demand for digital data and the growing need for high computation power are factors expected to drive market growth during the forecast period.
- Information technology (IT) equipment in data centers evolves much faster than the data center's typical life expectancy. Data centers are typically designed with a life expectancy of 10-15 years, whereas most IT equipment refresh cycles are 2-5 years.
- More powerful equipment frequently results in an undersized power supply system, necessitating updating these PDU units. Different power requirements drive PDU demand for different power needs, such as medium-density PDU in the 5-10 kW/rack range and high-density PDU in the 15-30 kW/rack range. Multiple factors drive the demand for PDU, and different electrical supplies and equipment designs also result in product differentiation based on design parameters and impact the market.
- The data center rack PDU market is driven by rising energy consumption levels, increased demand for cloud-based services, and a greater emphasis on improved digital infrastructure. According to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), the total number of data centers in 2022 in China was 1,641. Cloud-based services are being provided by companies such as Google LLC and IBM Corp. to various organizations in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, media and entertainment, and transportation.
- Furthermore, increasing information technology (IT) sector growth, product innovation, and a growing focus on different variations of data centers hypercycle and modular are providing growth opportunities to the market. According to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the IT-BPM sector in India was valued at USD 177 billion (USD 1,77,000 million) in the previous year due to growth in the IT sector, and India is regarded as one of the most important offshore destinations for IT organizations worldwide.
- However, data center construction complications and the availability of low-cost substitute products may impede the market growth. Security threats and emerging edge computing capacity are two major complications in the data center that can impede the market growth.
- The data center industry has demonstrated its ability to perform in a crisis. As times worsen, more businesses and consumers turn to online tools and services. Covid-19 increased the worth of the online world. The Internet has become a lifeline for many businesses and an outlet for individuals forced to self-isolate at home.
- While Covid-19 can benefit the data center industry, it was not immune to any impact. Providers faced the same constraints as other businesses around the world: their employees and customers on-site faced the same risks, and they were also part of larger supply chains, ranging from those that delivered customers servers, influencing demand and rollouts, to mechanical and equipment manufacturers reliant on cross-border regional and inter-regional access.
Data Center Rack PDU Industry Segmentation
The major challenges for data centers are maintaining uptime and power protection and management solutions. A power distribution unit (PDU) is a device with multiple outputs designed to distribute electric power, specifically to a data center's computer and networking equipment rack. PDUs are used for monitoring, switching, metering, or all depending on the requirement. A rack-mounted PDU is installed directly into the equipment rack to monitor and control the power supply to specific servers, switches, and other data center devices and assist in power load balancing. These PDUs are called 'Smart' or 'Intelligent' PDUs.
The data center rack PDU market is segmented by rack PDU type (basic, metered, monitored, and switched), data center type (colocation, hosting, and other data center types), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific & Rest of the World).
The market sizes and forecasts are provided regarding value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Rack PDU Type|
|By Data Center Type|
|Other Data Center Type|
|Rest of the World|
Data Center Rack PDU Market Trends
Increasing Deployment of Data Center Facilities
- The primary factor influencing demand for data center racks PDU is the increasing deployment of data centers worldwide. The growing demand for technology services, major companies, and increased investments in data center installation capabilities are also influencing the market growth.
- Rack infrastructure has become an important aspect in data centers due to evolving technologies and the adoption of high-density servers, with the need to effectively host servers, manage cables, and facilitate power availability for the continuous optimum performance of data centers, driving the demand for rack PDU.
- The increasing deployment of data centers worldwide is the primary driving factor influencing rack consumption. The data centers must always be operational because multiple critical business units rely on them. Even data centers are distinguished by their uptime as a significant parameter. The increasing demand for technology services and increased investment from major corporations are also influencing the market growth.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Record a Significant Growth Rate
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest contributor to global demand, owing to massive investment in larger and faster IT infrastructure. According to Cisco Systems, Australia alone accounts for 4% of the global data center market, with large multinational players such as Equinix and AirTrunk constructing hyper-scale data centers in Sydney and Melbourne. Such developments are anticipated to fuel the PDU market.
- The exponential digital needs of the region's emerging economies, such as China, India, Singapore, and Indonesia, are driving market growth. Service-based industries, e-commerce growth, and the government's push for digitization are boosting demand. Furthermore, the increasing complexities in IT infrastructure brought about by virtualization and consolidation, combined with cost constraints, encourage enterprises to consider adopting data center technologies, thereby driving the market.
- As the data center ecosystem becomes more complex, there is a greater need for data center infrastructure management, which drives market demand. This is particularly common in more technologically advanced countries such as Japan. An increase in data center infrastructure may drive the market for data center racks PDU.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Data Center Rack PDU Industry Overview
The data center rack power distribution unit market needs to be more cohesive. Rack infrastructure has become an important aspect in data centers due to changing technologies and the adoption of high-density servers, with the need to host servers, manage cables effectively, and power distribution and monitoring to ensure data center performance. Since data center solutions are offered as a complete solution, competition among existing competitors is fierce. Some end users in the agreement stage request specific supplier parts used in their data centers, which increases the competition for vendors to vouch for the market pie. Mergers and acquisitions are important marketing tools for increasing market presence.
In June 2022, Vertiv, a global provider of critical digital infrastructure and continuity solutions, introduced a new line of uninterruptible power supply (UPS) solutions, including the Vertiv Liebert ITA2 - 30 kVA and the Vertiv Liebert EXM2. So far, the following power products have been released: The Liebert ITA2 - 30 kVA provides best-in-class energy efficiency of up to 96.3% across a wide range of load conditions, resulting in significant operational cost savings. The Liebert ITA2 30 kVA integrated Smart Sleep technology in ECO mode offers up to 99% energy efficiency. This rack/tower UPS is ideal for edge and small computer room applications.
The Liebert EXM2 100-250 kVA UPS has a high energy efficiency rating in the midsize UPS range, up to 98.8% in dynamic online mode and 97% in double conversion mode. It is also compatible with lithium-ion battery configurations and two-wire DC bus connection settings. The Liebert EXM2 can be deployed in an in-row, room, or against-the-wall configuration, saving space in the facility. The unit's total isolation of the load from the mains - isolating input and output sections - makes the systems ideal for work-from-home/data networks / small data centers / Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP) applications.
In May 2022, Panduit Corporation introduced SmartZone Cloud for PDU and UPS-based DCIM subscriptions. The Panduit SmartZone PDU and SmartZone UPS platforms are compatible with the SmartZone cloud software, which addresses the digital infrastructure needs of hybrid IT environments. Furthermore, the cloud-based application combines facility power and environmental monitoring with asset management, rack access, and connectivity management. Moreover, SmartZone Cloud is a subscription-based offering with a license model that includes multi-protocol, vendor-neutral power and environmental monitoring, asset management and capacity planning features, and unlimited users and locations regardless of the license number.
In December 2022, Schneider Electric, the digital transformation of energy management and automation, announced the launch of its APC NetShelter Rack PDU Advanced, giving data centers greater flexibility to meet the new data demands placed on businesses. Following strong adoption in North America, APC NetShelter Rack PDU Advanced will expand to European countries, demonstrating the company's commitment to delivering more value to the cloud, service providers, and enterprise customers in critical applications.
Data Center Rack PDU Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Data Center Rack PDU Market News
- October 2022: Vertiv, a global provider of critical digital infrastructure and continuity solutions, formed a new channel partnership with VirtualFlex, one of Fiji's ICT solution partners specializing in enterprise-level and cloud solutions. The collaboration comes as demand in Fiji grows for uninterruptible power supply (UPS) technology to maintain business continuity and IT and data center availability during power outages.
- June 2022: Schneider Electric, the digital transformation of energy management and automation, announced the launch of its new Easy Modular Data Center All-in-One Solution in Europe. Schneider Electric's Easy Modular 'All-in-One' Data Centers combine all power, cooling, and IT equipment into a single, pre-configured solution, providing exceptional value for enterprises and IT organizations looking to implement an edge computing strategy. The new line of prefabricated data centers meets customer demands for greater predictability, lower total cost of ownership, and faster deployment.
Data Center Rack PDU Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Increasing Deployment of Data Center Facilities
4.3.2 Pressure for Effective Space Utilization in Data Centers
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 Faster Refresh Life Cycle than Data Center Profitable Life Expectancy
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.7 Technology Snapshot
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Rack PDU Type
5.2 By Data Center Type
5.2.3 Other Data Center Type
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Vertiv Group Corp.
6.1.2 Schneider Electric
6.1.3 Tripp Lite (Eaton)
6.1.4 Cyber Power Systems (USA), Inc.
6.1.5 Rittal GmbH & Co. KG
6.1.7 Black Box
6.1.9 Fujitsu Corporation
6.1.10 Cisco Systems Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Data Center Rack PDU Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Data Center Rack PDU Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Data Center Rack PDU Market?
The Data Center Rack PDU Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.56% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Data Center Rack PDU Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021 - 2026.
Which region has largest share in Data Center Rack PDU Market?
North America holds highest share in 2022.
Who are the key players in Data Center Rack PDU Market?
Vertiv Co., Schneider Electric, Tripp Lite, Eaton Corporation, Legrand SA are the major companies operating in Data Center Rack PDU Market.
Data Center Rack PDU Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Data Center Rack PDU market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Data Center Rack PDU analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.