China Waste to Energy Industry Overview
|CAGR:||> 4.75 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
China Waste to Energy Market Analysis
China's waste-to-energy market is expected to record a CAGR of more than 4.75% during the forecast period.
- Over the long term, favorable government policies and increasing investments in the country are expected to drive the market.
- On the other hand, the emission of harmful gases generated from waste-to-energy plants and the ash produced from these plants, which needs to be disposed of safely, usually in landfills, leading to groundwater contamination, may also hinder the growth of the market.
- However, the daily per capita waste generation in the region is expected to increase by nearly 40% by 2050. Thus, the increasing volume of municipal waste and rising demand for energy in the region are expected to create an opportunity for the waste-to-energy market in China in the future.
China Waste to Energy Industry Segments
Waste-to-energy is the process of generating energy in the form of electricity and heat through the primary treatment of waste or processing the same into a fuel source.
China's waste-to-energy market is segmented by technology into physical, thermal, and biological. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on revenue (USD billion).
China Waste to Energy Market Trends
Thermal-based Waste-to-Energy Conversion to Dominate the Market
- In 2019, China became one of the prominent countries that installed the world’s largest incineration plant (the Shenzhen East waste-to-energy plant). The plant can process 2.7 million ton of waste per year and generate 1.5 billion kilowatt-hours of power per year.
- Plants that utilize cogeneration of thermal power (heating and cooling), along with electricity generation, are estimated to reach optimum efficiencies of 80%.
- Presently, incineration is the most well-known waste-to-energy technology for municipal solid waste (MSW) processing.
- However, waste-to-energy technologies, particularly incineration, produce pollution and carry potential health safety risks.
- To reduce particulate and gas-phase emissions, incineration plant owners have adopted a series of process units for cleaning the flue gas stream, leading to a significant improvement in terms of environmental sustainability.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Investments to Drive the Market
- China is the second-largest producer of municipal waste in the world. Therefore, it initiated waste sorting plans in 2017 and aims to build 100 zero-waste cities by 2025.
- The country's disposed waste increased from 158 million ton in 2010 to 248.7 million ton in 2021, an increase of around 57.4%.
- Under Chinese President Xi Jinping’s plan to tackle pollution, the incineration industry is expected to continue its expansion and replace stinky, polluting, land-intensive garbage dumps. With its massive population producing vast quantities of garbage (increasing by 8-10% annually), China is looking for new facilities that burn solid waste to produce electricity.
- By 2025, China’s solid waste generation is expected to double to more than 500 million metric ton annually. This factor is further expected to create a huge demand for waste treatment facilities in the country during the forecast period.
- Such factors are expected to drive the market for waste to energy in China during the forecast period.
China Waste to Energy Market Competitor Analysis
China's waste-to-energy market is moderately fragmented. Some of the key players are (in no particular order) China Everbright International Limited, Zheneng Jinjiang Environment Holding Co. Ltd, Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc., Covanta Holding Corporation, and Veolia Environnement SA.
China Waste to Energy Market Top Players
China Everbright International Limited
Zheneng Jinjiang Environment Holding Co Ltd
Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc
Covanta Holding Corporation
Veolia Environnement SA
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
China Waste to Energy Market Recent Developments
- In October 2022, Jieyang Green Fuel Plant was successfully commissioned after a 21-day performance testing period. The Jieyang plant converts 401.500 t/a municipal solid waste (MSW) into refuse-derived fuel (RDF) with high calorific value and recyclables.
- There are no other recent developments in the market studied.
China Waste to Energy Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION BY TECHNOLOGY
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 China Everbright International Limited
6.3.2 Zheneng Jinjiang Environment Holding Co. Ltd
6.3.3 Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc.
6.3.4 Covanta Holding Corporation
6.3.5 Veolia Environnement SA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
China Waste to Energy Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The China Waste to Energy Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of China Waste to Energy Market?
The China Waste to Energy Market is growing at a CAGR of >4.75% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in China Waste to Energy Market?
China Everbright International Limited , Zheneng Jinjiang Environment Holding Co Ltd, Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises Inc, Covanta Holding Corporation, Veolia Environnement SA are the major companies operating in China Waste to Energy Market.
China Waste to Energy Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the China Waste to Energy sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The China Waste to Energy research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the China Waste to Energy report PDF.