2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Bio-surfactants Market size is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The cosmetics market has been negatively impacted in 2020. According to L'oreal, the cosmetics market's global revenue has fallen by 8% in the year 2020 compared to 2019 reaching out a total of EUR 213 billion. However, the consciousness regarding personal hygiene and clean surrounding has increased in the current situation, which has stimulated the demand for personal and household cleaning products, thus enhancing the market growth of bio-surfactants.
- Over the short term, the growing personal care industry in Asia-Pacific and rising consumer inclination toward the use of bioproducts are expected to drive the market’s growth.
- Low availability and the high price of feedstock are likely to hinder the market's growth.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Bio-surfactants are surface compounds produced from microorganisms include bacteria, yeast, and fungi. It has the potential to substitute the synthetic surfactant because of its low toxicity and specificity property. The bio-surfactants market is segmented by product type, application, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into Glycolipid, Lipopeptides and Lipoproteins, Surfactin, Lichenysin, Polymeric Bio-surfactants, and Other Product Types. By application, the market is segmented into Detergents, Cosmetics, Food Processing, Oilfield Chemicals, Agricultural Chemicals, Textiles, and Other Applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the bio-surfactants market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Glycolipid (Rhamnolipids, Trehalolipids, and Sophorolipids)|
|Lipopeptides and Lipoproteins|
|Other Product Types|
|Cosmetics (Personal Care)|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Agricultural Chemicals
- Agriculture relies heavily on chemical pesticides for the eradication of plant pathogens, chemical fertilizers to improve soil fertility, and chemical surfactants in agrochemical formulations. Bio-surfactants are being replaced in the current times, due to several health hazards, owing to the usage of synthetic chemical-based products.
- Bio-surfactants, owing to their properties, such as emulsification, foaming, dispersion, wetting, penetrating, thickening, microbial growth enhancement, and antimicrobial, are used in a wide number of applications in the agriculture sector.
- Bio-surfactants are generally produced by bacteria, yeasts, and fungi, and they act as green surfactants. Due to their less toxic and eco-friendly nature, they are used in agricultural applications.
- Bio-surfactants are used to improve soil quality by soil remediation. They act as mobilizing agents and enhance the solubility of bio-hazardous chemical compounds. In addition to this, bio-surfactants help microbes to absorb soil particles occupied by pollutants.
- Moreover, they are also used for hydrophilization of heavy soils, in order to achieve good wettability and also in even distribution of fertilizers in the soil. They also prevent fertilizers from caking during storage.
- Asia-Pacific region dominate the agriculture sectpr acrss the globe owing to the increasing agriculture activity in the countries such as China and India.
- As of FY 2019, the agrochemical industry volume was accounted for about 1,442 kilotons in India and reached about 1,483 kilotons in FY 2020, with a growth rate of about 2.8%, which in turn stimulates the demand for the bio-surfactants market.
- The rapid growth of the agricultural chemicals due to growing population and declining arable land, in order to feed the resultant population is further expected to impact the demand for bio-surfactants in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region accounted for the largest share of the regional market for bio-surfactants. Owing to the presence of the largest consuming countries such as China, India, and Japan, the demand for bio-surfactants in the region is growing at a significant rate.
- Asia-Pacific region accounts for over 43% of the global cosmetics market in the year 2020, the regional sales during 2020 in the Asia-Pacific stood around EUR 105 billion. China is becoming the largest market in terms of cosmetics and skin care products, worldwide. The beauty sector in the country has witnessed a growth of around 5% in the past 10 years.
- Due to increasing awareness about hygiene and development in liquid soap, the market for soap, washing powder, and synthetic detergent industry in China has grown at an average annual rate of about 13.2% in the past five years.
- In 2019, retail sales of liquid detergents and liquid tablet detergents in China were valued to be USD 3,789 million and USD 73 million respectively, which is likely to enhance in the projected timespan, thereby stimulating the regional bio-surfactant market growth.
- Due to the increasing population, coupled with rising regulations for healthy food, the food processing industry is expected to expand at a lucrative rate in China.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to show significant impact on the market in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global bio-surfactants market is fragmented in nature, as there are numerous players in the market. Some of the key players in the bio-surfactants market include BASF SE, Ecover, Evonik Industries AG, Akzo Nobel N.V., and Givaudan, among others.
- In March 2020, Stepan Company has completed the acquisition of Logos Technologies LLC’s NatSurFact business, a rhamnolipid-based line of bio-surfactants derived from renewable sources, which in turn enhances the company's product portfolio.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Personal Care Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Rising Consumer Inclination toward the Use of Bioproducts
4.2.1 Low Availability and High Price of Feedstock
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porters Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Glycolipid (Rhamnolipids, Trehalolipids, and Sophorolipids)
5.1.2 Lipopeptides and Lipoproteins
5.1.5 Polymeric Bio-surfactants
5.1.6 Other Product Types
5.2.2 Cosmetics (Personal Care)
5.2.3 Food Processing
5.2.4 Oilfield Chemicals
5.2.5 Agricultural Chemicals
5.2.7 Other Applications
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 ASEAN Countries
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AGAE Technologies, LLC
6.4.2 Akzo Nobel N.V.
6.4.3 Aqua-Aid, Inc.
6.4.4 BASF SE
6.4.6 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.8 GlycoSurf LLC
6.4.10 Kemin Industries, Inc.
6.4.11 Merck KGaA
6.4.13 Stepan Company
6.4.15 Urumqi Unite Bio-Technology Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Bio-surfactants Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Bio-surfactants Market?
The Bio-surfactants Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Bio-surfactants Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Bio-surfactants Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2019.
Who are the key players in Bio-surfactants Market?
- BASF SE
- Evonik Industries AG
Are the major companies operating in Bio-surfactants Market.