|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Bio-surfactants Market size is evaluated at 2,307.31 USD million and is projected to register a CAGR of over 5.50% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The cosmetics market was negatively impacted in 2020. According to L'oreal, the cosmetics market's global revenue fell by 8% in 2020 compared to 2019, reaching a total of EUR 213 billion. However, the consciousness regarding personal hygiene and clean surrounding has increased in the current situation, which has stimulated the demand for personal and household cleaning products, enhancing the market growth of bio-surfactants.
- Over the short term, the growing personal care industry in Asia-Pacific and rising consumer inclination toward the use of bioproducts are expected to drive the market’s growth.
- High production costs are likely to hinder the market's growth.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Bio-surfactants are surface compounds produced from microorganisms, including bacteria, yeast, and fungi. It has the potential to substitute the synthetic surfactant because of its low toxicity and specificity property. The bio-surfactants market is segmented by product type, application, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into Glycolipid, Phospholipids, Surfactin, Lichenysin, Polymeric Bio-surfactants, and Other Product Types. By application, the market is segmented into Detergents and Industrial Cleaners, Cosmetics, Food Processing, Oilfield Chemicals, Agricultural Chemicals, Textiles, and Other Applications. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the bio-surfactants market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
The chemically synthesized biosurfactants, such as methyl ester sulfonates, sucrose ester, alkyl polyglycoside, etc., are not considered in the market scope.
|Glycolipid (Rhamnolipids, Trehalolipids, and Sophorolipids)|
|Other Product Types|
|Detergents and Industrial Cleaners|
|Cosmetics (Personal Care)|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Detergents and Industrial Cleaners
- Agriculture relies heavily on chemical pesticides for the eradication of plant pathogens, chemical fertilizers to improve soil fertility, and chemical surfactants in agrochemical formulations. Bio-surfactants are being replaced currently due to several health hazards from the usage of synthetic chemical-based products.
- Bio-surfactants, owing to their properties, such as emulsification, foaming, dispersion, wetting, penetrating, thickening, microbial growth enhancement, and antimicrobial, are used in a wide number of applications in the agriculture sector.
- Bio-surfactants are generally produced by bacteria, yeasts, and fungi, and they act as green surfactants. Due to their less toxic and eco-friendly nature, they are used in agricultural applications.
- Bio-surfactants are used to improve soil quality by soil remediation. They act as mobilizing agents and enhance the solubility of bio-hazardous chemical compounds. In addition, bio-surfactants help microbes absorb soil particles occupied by pollutants.
- Moreover, they are also used for hydrophilization of heavy soils in order to achieve good wettability and also in even distribution of fertilizers in the soil. They also prevent fertilizers from caking during storage.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominates the agriculture sector globally, owing to the increasing agriculture activity in countries such as China and India.
- As of FY 2019, the agrochemical industry's volume accounted for about 1,442 kiloton in India and reached about 1,483 kiloton in FY 2020, with a growth rate of about 2.8%, stimulating the demand for the bio-surfactants market.
- The rapid growth of agricultural chemicals due to the growing population and declining arable land to feed the resultant population is further expected to impact the demand for bio-surfactants in the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Region to Dominate the Market
- The Europe region accounted for the largest share of the regional market for bio-surfactants. Owing to the presence of the largest consuming countries such as Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and Italy, the demand for bio-surfactants in the region is growing at a significant rate.
- Germany’s population has increased over the years, and awareness regarding personal care and hygiene is high. Hence, the usage of soaps and detergents is high. This, in turn, is expected to increase the usage of surfactants over the forecast period. According to IKW, the German Cosmetic, Toiletry, Perfumery, and Detergent Association, the revenue for soaps and detergents in Germany increased to EUR 632 million in 2020 from EUR 357 in 2019.
- The output from the German chemical industry is essential in various products, which include soaps, detergents, and cosmetics, etc. There are more than 60 manufacturers of washing, care, and cleaning agents, present in the country. However, the market studied is dominated by global players, such as P&G, Unilever, and Henkel. Germany is also one of the largest exporters of soaps and detergent products.
- The market for the soap and detergent manufacturing industry in the United Kingdom is dynamic, and the industry is known for strong product innovation, as the manufacturers compete to retain consumer interest. According to the Office for National Statistics in the United Kingdom, the revenue generated through the manufacturing of soap and detergents and cleaning and polishing preparations is likely to reach about USD 6,131.81 million by 2023.
- The oil and gas industry plays a vital role in the growth of the country’s economy. Although the United Kingdom is a mature petroleum province, the offshore oil industry in the country proved its resilience in the face of one of the most severe oil price downturns in the recent years. The offshore oil industry in the United Kingdom is shallow-water-based, and deep-water accounts for a limited share.
- The French cosmetics products market was valued at USD 2,363.47 million in 2019, and is expected to reach USD 3,049.72 million by 2025, during the forecast period of 2020-2025. Over the centuries, France has become the hub for beauty products, an industry which has also become one of the French economy’s largest revenue generators. Most of the cosmetic companies involved are SMEs and have large distribution markets all over the world. France is one of the world’s largest exporters of cosmetic products; with the country accounting for almost half of the European exports in this industry.
- Owing to all the aforementioned factors, the market for bio-surfactants in the region is projected to grow at a significant pace during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The global biosurfactants market is consolidated, with the top five players hold more than 80% of the market share. Some key players in the bio-surfactants market include Evonik Industries AG, BASF SE, Ecover, Jeneil, and Givaudan, among others.
- In February 2021, Stepan acquired a fermentation plant in Louisiana. Fermentation is a new platform technology for Stepan Company as the company commercializes next-generation surfactants and bio-surfactants produced from fermentation.
- In March 2020, Stepan Company completed the acquisition of Logos Technologies LLC’s NatSurFact business, a rhamnolipid-based line of bio-surfactants derived from renewable sources, enhancing the company's product portfolio.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Personal Care Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Rising Consumer Inclination toward the Use of Bioproducts
4.2.1 High Production Cost
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Glycolipid (Rhamnolipids, Trehalolipids, and Sophorolipids)
5.1.5 Polymeric Bio-surfactants
5.1.6 Other Product Types
5.2.1 Detergents and Industrial Cleaners
5.2.2 Cosmetics (Personal Care)
5.2.3 Food Processing
5.2.4 Oilfield Chemicals
5.2.5 Agricultural Chemicals
5.2.7 Other Applications
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 ASEAN Countries
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AGAE Technologies LLC
6.4.2 Biotensidon GmbH
6.4.3 Cognis Care Chemicals (BASF SE)
6.4.5 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.6 Groupe Soliance (Givaudan)
6.4.7 GlycoSurf LLC
6.4.9 Kaneka Corporation
6.4.10 Logos Technologies (Stepan Company)
6.4.11 Saraya Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Synthezyme LLC
6.4.13 TeeGene Biotech
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Innovation in Feasible Commercial Production of Bio-surfactants
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Bio-surfactants Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Bio-surfactants Market?
The Bio-surfactants Market is growing at a CAGR of >5.5% over the next 5 years.
What is Bio-surfactants Market size in 2016?
The Bio-surfactants Market is valued at 2307 Million USD in 2016.
Which region has highest growth rate in Bio-surfactants Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Bio-surfactants Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Bio-surfactants Market?
BASF SE, Ecover, Evonik Industries AG, Givaudan are the major companies operating in Bio-surfactants Market.