|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The bioplastics market is estimated at 1,522.12 kiloton in 2022. The market is expected to record an estimated CAGR of 22.32% over the forecast period (2022-2027).
- A major factor driving the market studied is the environmental issues encouraging a paradigm shift to promote bioplastics. Additionally, growing demand for packaging is likely to favor the market’s growth.
- However, the availability of cheaper alternatives is likely to hamper the market’s growth.
- Growing use in the electronics industry will likely provide new growth opportunities for the market.
Scope of the Report
Bioplastics are produced from renewable sources, such as corn starch, vegetable fats and oils, woodchips, straw, recycled food waste, sawdust, and other sources. The market is segmented by type, application, and geography. The report also covers the market size and forecast for the bioplastics market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecast have been done based on volume (kiloton).
|Automotive and Assembly Operations|
|Agriculture and Horticulture|
|Electrical and Electronics|
Key Market Trends
Flexible Packaging is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Bioplastics are used in flexible packaging as they are not harmful to nature and are easily degradable.
- They are used in packaging films for food items, medicines, beverage bottles, packaging films, and packaging of non-food products, such as napkins and tissues, toilet paper, nappies, sanitary towels, cardboard and coat paper for food wrapping paper, and coated cardboards to make cups and plates. Moreover, they are used in flexible and loose-fill packaging.
- Bioplastics made of cornstarch have applications in flexible and loose-fill packaging.
- Polylactic acid (PLA) is used mainly in packaging food items, while bio polyethylene terephthalate (PET), bio polyethylene, and bio polypropylene are majorly used as packaging films.
- The consumption of bioplastics is increasing in making plastic bags, as they are nature-friendly. They are also used for organic waste collection bags, mostly used in hospitals, hotels and restaurants, commercial and retail outlets, and houses. Local governments of different countries have also initiated their usage.
- The global packaging industry is growing. Asia-Pacific has the largest manufacturing capacity for bioplastics, i.e., 45%. Moreover, the increasing awareness among consumers and the strict ban by the governments in countries like China, India, and Japan have promoted the consumption of bioplastics in the region.
- Thus, the above-mentioned factors are expected to have a positive impact on the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Europe to Dominate the Market
- Europe dominated the overall bioplastics market, with most of the demand coming from Germany, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
- In Germany, the food and beverage industry is characterized by its small and medium-sized enterprise sector of over 6,000 companies. The revenue in the food and beverage market was estimated at USD 3,222 million in 2021. The market is expected to grow annually by 6.83% during the forecast period, which is expected to drive the flexible and rigid packaging industry and the consumption of bioplastics in the country.
- France is home to the largest agricultural sector in Europe. It is among the top producers in the global agriculture market and produces sugar beets, wine, milk, beef and veal, cereals, and oilseeds. However, the country experienced severe droughts. According to France’s main agricultural trade union, FNSEA, 14,000 farms out of 440,000 filed compensation claims following the extreme heat and lack of rain that ravaged France during the spring and summer.
- Italy’s packaging industry is one of the largest in the world. There are nearly 7,000 major and minor packaging companies active in the country. The growing importance of supermarket retailing and the changing consumer purchasing habits are increasing the packaging demand in the country. Besides, exports are adding to the demand for packaging materials.
- The United Kingdom is the fourth-largest consumer of plastics in Europe. The country has been identified as one of the most innovative and advanced countries in terms of developing advanced and modified plastics. However, the country is focusing on bioplastics due to the increasing awareness about the environmental impact of petroleum-based non-biodegradable plastics.
- Hence, the market scenario in the region is expected to boost the demand for bioplastics throughout the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The bioplastics market is fragmented. Some of the key players in the market (not in any particular order) include NatureWorks LLC, Novamont SpA, Braskem, BASF SE, and Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited.
Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
- In February 2021, Braskem invested USD 61 million to boost the production capacity of green ethylene derived from sugarcane ethanol.
- In January 2021, Trinseo finalized the expansion of its thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) R&D Center in Mussolente, Italy. This expansion will allow the company to increase its leading bioplastics portfolio.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Environmental Factors Encouraging a Paradigm Shift
4.1.2 Growing Demand for Bioplastics in Packaging
4.2.1 Availability of Cheaper Alternatives
4.3 Industry Value Chain
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Patent Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Bio-based Biodegradables
188.8.131.52 Polylactic Acid (PLA)
184.108.40.206 Polyhydroxy Alkanoates (PHA)
220.127.116.11 Polyesters (PBS, PBAT, and PCL)
18.104.22.168 Other Bio-based Biodegradables
5.1.2 Bio-based Non-biodegradables
22.214.171.124 Bio Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
126.96.36.199 Bio Polyethylene
188.8.131.52 Bio Polyamides
184.108.40.206 Bio Polytrimethylene Terephthalate
220.127.116.11 Other Non-biodegradables
5.2.1 Flexible Packaging
5.2.2 Rigid Packaging
5.2.3 Automotive and Assembly Operations
5.2.4 Agriculture and Horticulture
5.2.7 Electrical and Electronics
5.2.8 Other Applications
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles (Overview, Financials**, Products and Services, and Recent Developments)
6.4.2 Arkema SA
6.4.6 Danimer Scientific
6.4.7 Rodenburg Biopolymers
6.4.9 Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited
6.4.11 Natureworks LLC
6.4.12 Novamont SpA
6.4.13 Total Corbion PLA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Use in the Electronics Industry
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Bioplastics Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Bioplastics Market?
The Bioplastics Market is growing at a CAGR of >22% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Bioplastics Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Bioplastics Market?
Europe holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Bioplastics Market?
Natureworks LLC, Braskem, BASF SE, Indorama Ventures Public Company Limited, Novamont SpA are the major companies operating in Bioplastics Market.