Biohazard Bags Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Biohazard Bags Market Analysis
The biohazard bags market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period.
- COVID-19 significantly impacted the biohazard bags market due to the increased need for biomedical waste management to prevent the transmission of infection. For instance, India generated 56,898 tonnes of COVID-19-related biomedical waste between June 2020 - 2021, as per a June 2021 news report. The Covid BMW app was also introduced in May 2021 to track Covid-19 biological waste (BMW) and ensure its secure disposal. The application was created and hosted on behalf of the Central Pollution Control Board of India to gather data regarding biomedical waste, leading to increased demand for biohazard bags.
- Although the market slightly seized since the decline in COVID-19 infections, the rising government awareness initiatives to reduce biomedical waste and its proper disposal are expected to drive the demand for biohazard bags during the analysis period.
- Moreover, the growth of the studied market is actively affected by the increased flow of samples in diagnostic labs, a growing number of hospital beds in developing countries, and awareness regarding hospital waste management. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) Corona Virus 2023 dashboard, a total of 13.2 billion vaccine doses have been administered globally as of 21st February 2023, using single-use disposable syringes that contribute to biomedical waste. Thus, the high burden of vaccination indicates the high utility of biohazard bags for the safe disposal and management of such waste worldwide, propelling the market growth during the forecast period.
- Government initiatives to minimize biomedical waste or biohazardous waste are also driving growth in the studied market. For example, in August 2022, the Government of Japan and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched a new project to support national health agencies and other key stakeholders in Bangladesh, Bhutan, and the Maldives to address the unprecedented rise in infectious healthcare waste caused by the COVID-19 pandemic that is overwhelming waste treatment facilities. The two-year USD 11 million project for improving infectious waste management is expected to contribute to the market's growth.
- Furthermore, the revised Plastic Waste Management Amendment Rules, 2021, announced by the government in August 2021, prohibit identified single-use plastic items by 2022. As per the new guidelines, the thickness of plastic carry bags increased from 50 to 75 microns from 30th September 2021 and to 120 microns with effect from 31st December 2022. These government initiatives are expected to propel the demand for biohazard bags used in various healthcare settings such as dentist clinics, hospitals, and diagnostic labs.
- The rising awareness and initiatives regarding biohazard waste disposal are also expected to drive market growth. For example, an article published in the Cureus Journal in December 2021 stated that, as per government guidelines, every health facility, whether large medical institutes or small clinics, must ensure appropriate biomedical waste management at their facility level. Therefore, the rising importance of biomedical waste management is expected to propel the utility of biohazard bags in hospitals and clinics.
- In conclusion, due to the rising importance and awareness of biomedical waste and government initiatives, the studied market is anticipated to witness growth over the analysis period. However, the presence of alternative options is likely to impede market growth.
Biohazard Bags Market Trends
Hospital Segment is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share Over the Forecast Period
- Hospitals are expected to experience significant growth due to the increasing number of patients with infectious and chronic diseases. They are also the largest source of biohazard waste, leading to a high demand for biohazard bags in hospitals.
- According to the Government of India's Rural Health Statistics, there were a total of 761 district hospitals, 1,224 sub-divisional hospitals (SDH), 5,951 community health centers (CHCs), 30,579 primary health centers (PHCs), and 1,57,819 sub-centers (SCs) as of March 2021 in India. Given the high amount of biohazardous waste generated during surgical or diagnostic procedures, the high number of hospitals and community centers is expected to drive segment growth during the forecast period.
- Additionally, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's Health Indicators 2021 report indicated that there were 13.6 million emergency room visits, 0.5 million surgical interventions, 232,216 deliveries, and 186 million lab investigations in 2021 in Saudi Arabia. Thus, the large patient pool for medical intervention is expected to contribute to segment growth during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, many hospitals invite tenders for the management of biomedical waste in their facilities. For example, in February 2022, the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), Imphal, issued a two-stage bid system inviting proposals from Government e-Marketplace (GeM) registered firms for the supply of hospital biohazard bags or biomedical waste collection bags for use in RIMS Hospital, Imphal. Moreover, all government and private hospitals are responsible for safe and effective biomedical waste management, leading to increased use of biohazard bags in hospitals worldwide and driving segment growth.
- Furthermore, in May 2021, Mylab Discovery Solutions received approval from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) for the self-use rapid antigen test for COVID-19, CoviSelf. The kit includes an instruction kit, a nasal swab, a pre-filled extraction tube, a test card, and a biohazard bag. Hence, the use of biohazard bags in various disposable medical devices for hospital purposes is expected to drive segment growth during the analysis period.
- Therefore, due to the aforementioned factors, such as the high patient pool in hospitals, the rising number of hospitals worldwide, and the initiatives taken by hospitals to increase the use of biohazard bags, the segment's growth is expected to increase during the forecast period.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market and Expected to do Same in the Forecast Period
- North America is expected to hold a significant market share in the biohazard bag industry. This is due to several factors, such as the high patient pool for various infectious and chronic diseases, increased awareness among people and healthcare industry stakeholders about biohazardous waste management, and the strong presence of industry players in the region.
- The United States is one of the largest contributors to the biohazard bag market due to the country's high burden of cancer. According to the American Cancer Society's Cancer Statistics 2022, 1,918,030 new cancer cases were predicted to occur in the United States in 2022. The waste produced in cancer centers is particularly dangerous since cancer treatment often involves chemotherapy and radiation therapy, which are hazardous to patients, employees, and visitors. Various medicines and diagnostics also use radioisotopes, which can cause mutations if exposed without protection. As a result, the high burden of cancer in the country is expected to boost the growth of the biohazard bag market during the forecast period.
- In addition to the high patient pool, strategic initiatives adopted by market players are also contributing to the growth of the biohazard bags market in the region. For instance, in February 2021, Vonco Products LLC, a manufacturer of liquid-tight medical devices, fluid bags, and infection prevention solutions, increased its production of 95kPa biohazard transport bags to meet the rising demand for safe transportation of biohazardous wastes. The expanded production indicates the high demand for biohazard bags in the region, which is also expected to continue in the forecast period.
- Therefore, taking into account the above-mentioned factors, such as the high patient pool for cancer and rising company initiatives, the growth of the studied market is anticipated in the North America region.
Biohazard Bags Industry Overview
The biohazard bags market is fragmented and consists of numerous significant players. However, a few major players currently dominate the market in terms of market share. These dominant companies include Thermo Fisher Scientific, International Plastics Inc, Harbour Group (SP Bel-Art), Merck KGaA, and Inteplast Group Corporation (Minigrip, LLC).
Biohazard Bags Market Leaders
Thermo Fisher Scientific
International Plastics Inc
Inteplast Group Corporation (Minigrip, LLC)
Harbour Group (SP Bel-Art)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Biohazard Bags Market News
- April 2022: The West Bengal Bench of the Authority for Advance Ruling (AAR) announced in April 2022 that services offered to the State Government for collecting and disposing of bio-medical waste are exempt from GST.
- January 2022: The South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) established helpline numbers for collecting biomedical waste from the residences of Covid-19 patients.
Biohazard Bags Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increased Flow of Samples in Diagnostic Labs
4.2.2 Growing Number of Hospital Beds in Developing Countries
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Presence of Alternatives
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value - USD million)
5.1 By Product Material
5.2 By Application
5.2.2 Healthcare Waste
5.2.3 Chemical & Pharmaceutical
5.2.4 Other Applications
5.3 By End-User
5.3.2 Diagnostic Laboratories
5.3.3 Other End-Users
5.4.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Middle East and Africa
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa
5.4.5 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Harbour Group (SP Bel-Art)
6.1.2 Thermo Fisher Scientific
6.1.3 International Plastics Inc
6.1.4 Inteplast Group Corporation (Minigrip, LLC)
6.1.5 Merck KGaA
6.1.6 TUFPAK, INC
6.1.7 Bionics Scientific Technologies Pvt. Ltd
6.1.8 Transcendia Inc
6.1.9 Welpack Industries Pvt. Ltd.
6.1.10 Champion Plastics
6.1.11 Desco Medical India
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Biohazard Bags Market Research FAQs
What is the current Biohazard Bags Market size?
The Biohazard Bags Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Biohazard Bags Market?
Thermo Fisher Scientific, International Plastics Inc, Merck KGaA, Inteplast Group Corporation (Minigrip, LLC) and Harbour Group (SP Bel-Art) are the major companies operating in the Biohazard Bags Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Biohazard Bags Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Biohazard Bags Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Biohazard Bags Market.
What years does this Biohazard Bags Market cover?
The report covers the Biohazard Bags Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Biohazard Bags Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Biohazard Bags Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Biohazard Bags market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Biohazard Bags analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.