Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market Analysis
The Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market size was valued at USD 141.86 billion in 2022, and is expected to reach USD 196.07 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 5.73% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the automotive electronic control unit market was inevitable due to shut down of automotive manufacturing units and lockdowns. However, the market is expected to regain momentum due to the swiftly escalating year-on-year adoption rate of electric vehicles worldwide.
The market is primarily driven by technological advancements and innovation in systems. In developed nations, increasing consumer preference for driving convenience and safety is driving the market's growth. The adoption of navigation and infotainment systems is growing as they have become standard features in most cars across the world. Central electronic control unit automotive connectors are required to connect these systems to one another.
Government regulations to reduce fuel usage and increasing demand for better mileage of vehicles from the general public are other major factors leading to the high growth of the ECU market in the automotive sector.
The steady growth of alternative vehicle choices, such as hybrid and pure electric cars, in developed nations has contributed significantly to the ECU market due to the high complexities of these vehicles over conventional vehicles. Driver safety, security concerns, ease of driving, and low maintenance demanded by the customers are also some of the factors driving the growth of the ECU market.
Connecting smartphones to the vehicle and providing the driver with real-time information about the vehicle's state is a major trend in recent times. These advanced ECU systems, with the provision to connect with smartphones easily, can lead to an improvement in the growth of ECU systems.
The Asia-Pacific region, followed by North America and Europe, is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period owing to the growing demand for electric vehicles in the region. Moreover, increased demand for technologically advanced vehicles like hybrid vehicles in developed and developing countries is expected to drive the growth of the ECU market.
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Industry Segmentation
An automotive electronic control unit is a family of computer systems that control and maintain the entirety of a vehicle's electronic, electrical, and mechanical systems. Automotive functions ranging from the movement of the windows to the amount of air-fuel mixture required for each engine cylinder have an ECU system embedded with them, which is recorded, analyzed, and stored in the microcontroller.
The scope of the report covers segmentation based on propulsion, application, ECU, autonomous, vehicle, and geography. By propulsion type, the market is segmented into internal combustion engine, hybrid, and battery electric vehicles.
By application type, the market is segmented into ADAS and safety systems, body control and comfort system, infotainment and communication system, and powertrain system. By ECU type, the market is segmented into 16-bit ECU, 32-bit ECU, and 64-bit ECU.
By autonomous type, the market is segmented into conventional vehicle, semi-autonomous vehicle, and autonomous vehicles. By vehicle type, the market is segmented into passenger cars and commercial vehicles. By geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on basis of value (USD billion).
|Internal Combustion Engine|
|Battery Electric Vehicle|
|ADAS and Safety System|
|Body Control and Comfort System|
|Infotainment and Communication System|
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market according to our research experts:
Rising Electric Vehicle Sales to Boost Demand for ECUs
The demand for electric vehicles is growing rapidly across the world, and this is expected to augment the demand for ECU in these vehicles. In addition, favorable government subsidies and initiatives act as catalysts for boosting the growth of the ECU market. By 2040, nearly 54% of new car sales and 33% of the global car fleet will be electric.
The European government has already started various projects for building charging infrastructure across the regions to meet the electric vehicle sales target. This transformation in the automotive sector is expected to impact the automakers, electronic component manufacturers, aftermarkets, and the sector’s supply chain.
Manufacturers of parts and components only pertaining to IC engine vehicles are now expanding their business into the electric vehicle domain as the demand for and sale of electric vehicles increases. In the automotive diagnostics market, components, such as ECU for engine control and transmission would be replaced by ECUs for electrical architecture and battery management systems.
Moreover, the conventional diagnostic systems are anticipated to be replaced entirely by onboard diagnostic systems that would continually monitor the health of all the electric and mechanical components of the vehicle.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Anticipated to Dominate the ECU Market
Asia-Pacific dominates the automotive electronic control unit market due to a rise in the demand for in-vehicle infotainment and communication applications in passenger vehicles, increased disposable income, and a rise in automobile production in this region.
Electrification in the Asia-Pacific region has witnessed a high penetration rate due to the presence of China and Japan, as China is the leading market for electric vehicles, and most automakers advancing in electric vehicle technology are from Japan. This development in electric vehicles can be correlated to the increased demand in the market for ECU in the region, which currently holds the highest market share in terms of both revenue and volume.
North America is also expected to witness growth in the automotive electronic control unit market due to increased demand for luxury cars, growing demand for energy-efficient vehicles, and strict government regulations to reduce carbon emissions in this region.
The European automotive ECU market is growing as infotainment & communication applications are experiencing high demand for their implementation in luxury & passenger vehicles. The growing focus on providing luxury and comfort features by leading automotive manufacturers present in European countries, including Germany, Italy, etc., is further creating opportunities for the market’s growth.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Industry Overview
The automotive electronic control unit market is dominated by players such as Lear Corporation, Robert Bosch GmbH, Nidec Corporation, Continental AG, and Delphi Technologies, among others. Companies worldwide are adopting various innovative technologies and investing in R&D projects. Moreover, manufacturers are expanding their networks by developing dealership and distribution networks globally to gain profits and strengthen their industry presence. For instance,
· In October 2021, Motherson extended its cooperation with Marelli Automotive Lighting (Marelli) for a new tool room in India. This will be the first of its kind tool room in India dedicated to specific lighting applications. The toolroom will be an extension of the existing joint venture company Marelli Motherson Automotive Lighting India Private Limited. The 50/50 JV was established in 2008 to address the Indian exterior lighting market, and now it has four plants in India.
· In March 2020, Robert Bosch GmBH and Nikola Motor Company formed a partnership to develop a fuel cell truck with a capacity of 40 ton. The key element of the advanced truck system is the Bosch vehicle control unit, which provides higher computing power for advanced functions while reducing the number of independent units. The VCU supports future innovations by providing a scalable platform for the complex e/e architecture, which is essential to support the advanced features of Nikola's trucks.
· In October 2021, ZF announced that one million units of its active rear-axle steering system AKC (Active Kinematics Control) had been produced since its launch in 2013. AKC enables agility, safety, and comfort in numerous driving situations.
Owing to the abovementioned instances and developments, players in the automotive electronic control unit market are anticipated to focus on capturing the majority of the market share and are likely to expand their geographical presence during the forecast period.
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market Leaders
Robert Bosch GmbH
ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Magneti Marelli S.p.A.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market News
· In September 2021, Lear signed an agreement to form a joint venture with Hu Lane for connector products. With operations based in China, this joint venture is expected to expand the company’s global offerings of competitive connection systems and offer automakers the ability to harness architecture components.
· In September 2021, Continental AG announced that it had formed a joint venture with Beijing Horizon Robotics Technology R&D Co. Ltd (Horizon Robotics), focusing on providing hardware and software integrated solutions for advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous driving. They also signed an investment contract with Shanghai Jiading Industrial Zone, where the new JV will be located.
· In July 2021, Fuji Chimera Research Institute Inc. surveyed the global automotive electronic control unit (ECU) market and announced that it would expand 75% from 2019 to JPY 15.58 trillion in 2030 due to the accelerated popularization of electrified vehicles and fuel cell vehicles (FCV). The research company predicted that the automotive ECU components market would grow by 37.5% to reach JPY 18.27 trillion over the same period.
· In April 2021, Bosch announced its joint venture with Qingling Motors, named Bosch Hydrogen Powertrain Systems (Chongqing) Co. Ltd. The new company will develop, assemble, and market fuel cell systems – so-called Fuel Cell Power Modules – for the Chinese market. The components required for this, such as the fuel cell stack, air compressor with power electronics, and control unit with sensors, come from Bosch, mainly from the plant in Wuxi.
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Propulsion
5.1.1 Internal Combustion Engine
5.1.3 Battery Electric Vehicle
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 ADAS and Safety System
5.2.2 Body Control and Comfort System
5.2.3 Infotainment and Communication System
5.2.4 Powertrain System
5.3 By ECU
5.3.1 16-bit ECU
5.3.2 32-bit ECU
5.3.3 64-bit ECU
5.4 By Autonomy
5.4.1 Conventional Vehicle
5.4.2 Semi-autonomous Vehicle
5.4.3 Autonomous Vehicle
5.5 By Vehicle
5.5.1 Passenger Car
5.5.2 Commercial Vehicle
5.6 By Geography
5.6.1 North America
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.6.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 South America
126.96.36.199 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles*
6.2.1 Lear Corporation
6.2.2 Robert Bosch GmbH
6.2.3 Nidec Corporation
6.2.4 Continental AG
6.2.5 Aptiv PLC
6.2.6 Leopold Kostal GmbH & Co. KG
6.2.7 ZF Friedrichshafen AG
6.2.8 Autoliv Inc.
6.2.9 Magneti Marelli
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS**
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market?
The Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.73% over the next 5 years.
What is Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market size?
The Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market is expected to reach USD 184.84 Billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.73% to reach USD 196.07 Billion by 2028.
Which region has highest growth rate in Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market?
Robert Bosch GmbH, Continental AG, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, DENSO Corporation, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Magneti Marelli S.p.A. are the major companies operating in Automotive Electronic Control Unit Market.
Automotive Electronic Control Unit Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Automotive Electronic Control Unit market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Automotive Electronic Control Unit analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.