The global automotive airbag inflator market is anticipated to grow to USD 400 million over the forecast period. Increasing regulatory requirements regarding vehicle safety and rising awareness about customer safety, globally, are driving the automotive airbag inflator market. Furthermore, the increase in the penetration of side-impact and curtain airbags, and vehicle production, the introduction of more bags per car, are the major factors that drive the growth of the automotive airbag inflator market. In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) introduced new regulations for adopting side airbags, which is likely to be mandated for all vehicles by 2018. Additionally, many automobile manufacturers are investing significantly in R&D for the manufacture of affordable and advanced airbag inflators to meet the increasing demand for airbag systems.
One of the latest trends in the market is the introduction of flexible vent technology, which ensures that the inflation of airbags is not reliable on the sensors. A smart air pressure control mechanism regulates inflation by controlling the airflow through the vent. The advancement in technology is expected to promote the growth of the global automotive airbag inflators market over the forecast period.
In 2017, Europe is the largest market for airbag inflators due to various government initiatives toward passenger safety, such as the introduction of crash tests for frontal and side impact protection, sub-system tests for pedestrian protection, and anti-lock braking requirements. However, Asia-Pacific is expected to lead the market by the end of forecast period, because of countries, like India and China are anticipated to record high CAGR in the automotive industry. With China’s CNAP (China’s New Car Assessment Program) initiatives, the Chinese government has mandated the use of seat belts and frontal airbags, which is expected to increase the demand for airbag inflators in the region.
Source: Mordor Intelligence Analysis
The rising penetration of automotive OEMs in developing regions is expected to increase the competition among regional players, where product differentiation is a key strategy for OEMs to uphold their market share. With the increasing demand for better quality products, the market competition is expected to increase during the forecast period. The supply chain of this market comprises raw material manufacturers, inflator manufacturers, distributors, and OEMs.
Key Developments in the Market
- February 2018: General Motors has asked the US government for permission to avoid recalls of potentially deadly Takata air bag inflators.
- February 2018: A group of 13 automakers contributed as much as USD 130 million to compensate those injured by faulty Takata Corp air bag inflators as part of a deal to resolve the Japanese company's bankruptcy, a US plaintiffs' attorney.
Major Key Players: Autoliv, Takata, ZF TRW, Huayu Automotive Systems, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Detailed analysis on the product type that is expected to dominate the market
- Detailed analysis on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identifying the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet the desired requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure that you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Trends
4.2 Market Trends
4.3 Porter’s Five Forces Framework
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.3.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Auto Safety Regulations
5.1.2 Increasing Road Accidents and Awareness
5.2.1 High Cost & High Replacement Cost
5.3.1 Pedestrian Airbags
6. Global Automotive Airbag Inflator Market Segmentation, by Airbag Type
6.1 Driver Airbag
6.2 Passenger Airbag
6.3 Curtain Airbag
6.4 Knee Airbag
6.5 Pedestrian Protection Airbag
6.6 Side Airbag
7. Global Automotive Airbag Inflator Market Segmentation, by Inflator Type
7.2 Stored Gas
8. Global Automotive Airbag Inflator Market Segmentation, by Vehicle Type
8.1 Passenger Car
8.2 Commercial Vehicle
9. Global Poultry Vaccines Market Segmentation, by Geography
9.1 North America
9.1.1 United States
9.1.3 Rest of North America
9.2.4 Rest of Asia-Pacific
9.3.1 United Kingdom
9.3.5 Rest of Europe
9.4 Rest of the World
9.4.2 South Africa
10. Competitive Landscape
10.2 Market Share Analysis
11. Company Profiles
11.1 Autoliv Inc.
11.2 Aptiv PLC
11.3 Takata Corporation
11.4 ZF TRW
11.5 Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corporation
11.6 HUAYU Automotive Systems
11.7 Toyoda Gosei
11.8 Key Safety Systems
12. Outlook of the Market