Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Austria's solar energy installed capacity is expected to register a CAGR of over 12% during the forecast period (2022-2027). The country reported a slowdown in installations during the COVID-19 outbreak. However, the recovery was strong in less time, outpacing 2019 installations during the same period. In addition, Austria’s solar energy capacity in 2020 accounted for around 10% of the total renewable capacity, taking the cumulative solar capacity to just over 2GW in 2020. The primary drivers of the market include the soaring demand for clean energy, efforts to curb GHG emissions, and favorable government policies to stimulate the deployment of solar panels. The planned new renewable energy law helps cover rising energy demand with solar power by replacing fossil fuels.
- Solar photovoltaic is expected to have significant growth during the forecast period due to upcoming projects and the country's target for solar PV growth.
- According to Austria’s National Energy and Climate Plan (NECP), the Austrian government is committed to installing 1 million PV systems by 2030, a substantial increase from the target of 100,000 roof-mounted PV systems under Mission 2030. Thus, this factor is expected to create ample opportunities for the solar market.
- Increasing renewable energy generation and rapid technological advancements are likely to drive the market during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
The Austrian solar energy market report includes:
|Solar Photovoltaic (PV)|
Key Market Trends
Solar PV Segment is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- Austria's solar photovoltaic is one of the significant segments in the power generation industry. It had an installed capacity of around 2.2 GW in 2020. With concern regarding climatic change and the rising air pollution, the government had a roadmap to increase the share of renewable energy, such as solar, in its energy mix during the study period.
- As per the National Energy and Climate Plan, Austria's power production target from solar photovoltaic (PV) is expected to be 2 TWh in 2030, 3 TWh in 2040, and 5 TWh in 2050. Hence, this target will likely increase the solar PV installed capacity during the forecast period.
- In the last five years, solar PV deployment has accelerated, driven by falling deployment costs and feed-in-tariffs. The key factors are likely to assist the nation in achieving climate neutrality by 2040 due to its proposed 1 million photovoltaic roofing program. As part of this ambitious target, the country pledged to source its electricity supply from renewable sources by 2030. Hence, this factor will likely boost solar PV deployment across the country.
- Furthermore, the Renewable Energy Extension Act proposed by the government is designed to push renewable energy projects substantially. An electricity generation of 27 TWh is required from renewable energy sources, out of which an additional 11 TWh is needed from solar power production to achieve the 2030 target.
- Hence, owing to these factors, the solar PV segment is likely to witness considerable growth in the Austrian solar energy market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Renewable Energy Demand to Proliferate the Market
- The total renewable energy generation in Austria reached 13.6 TWh in 2020, and the total installed capacity of renewables was 21,842 MW in the same year. Among the renewable energy installed capacity, hydropower (15,147MW) held the largest share, followed by wind (3,224MW), solar (2,220MW), and bioenergy (1,249MW).
- The new target by Austria’s government has declared restricting the use of natural gas for heating in new buildings from 2025 onward and phasing out all oil- and coal-fired heating systems by 2035. This factor is likely to increase solar thermal technologies in the coming years.
- In August 2021, the Austrian Ministry for Climate Protection approved a budget of EUR 20 million to construct residential and commercial solar projects. The Ministry has also raised the funding budget for small-scale systems. The subsidy is focused on offering households and small-scale enterprises a solar system with an output of up to 50 kW and a grant of EUR 150-200/kW of installed output.
- In 2020, hydropower accounted for around 62% of the total electricity generation in Austria, followed by 10% from wind and 2% from solar. Hence, the rising demand for renewable energy will likely drive the market over the forecast period.
The Austrian solar energy market is partially consolidated. Some of the key players in this market include Wien Energie GmbH, KPV Solar GmbH, Energetica Industries GmbH, Sharp Corporation, and Hilber Solar GmbH.
- In October 2021, Austria revealed its plan to build its largest solar PV plant at Vienna’s international airport. The solar project is spread across 24 ha and is likely to have around 55,000 panels. The Vienna International Airport plans to invest EUR 33 million to build the project expected to cover one-third of its annual electricity consumption.
- As the country is thriving hard to meet the target of producing 100% of its electricity from renewable sources by 2030, Austria's last operational coal-fired power plant shut down in April 2020. This factor is likely to boost the share of solar energy in the country in the coming years.
- In December 2020, OMV, an integrated oil and gas company, and VERBUND, Austria's leading electricity provider, started Austria's largest ground-mounted photovoltaic plant with a capacity of 11.4 MWp in Schönkirchen, Lower Austria. Hence, with this largest solar project in Austria, the country is likely to contribute to meeting the renewable target set by Austria's new government.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Installed Capacity and Forecast in MW, till 2026
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Solar Photovoltaic (PV)
5.1.2 Solar Thermal
5.2 End User
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Wien Energie GmbH
6.3.2 KPV Solar GmbH
6.3.3 Hilber Solar GmbH
6.3.4 Sharp Corporation
6.3.5 Energetica Industries GmbH
6.3.6 Crystalsol GmbH
6.3.7 IBC Solar AG
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Austria Solar Energy Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Austria Solar Energy Market?
The Austria Solar Energy Market is growing at a CAGR of >12% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Austria Solar Energy Market?
Wien Energie GmbH , Energetica Industries GmbH , Sharp Corporation, KPV Solar GmbH, Hilber Solar GmbH are the major companies operating in Austria Solar Energy Market.