Water-soluble Polymer Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 35.01 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 45.71 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||5.48 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Water-soluble Polymer Market Analysis
The Global Water Soluble Polymer Market size is expected to grow from USD 35.01 billion in 2023 to USD 45.71 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 5.48% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
The COVID-19 pandemic affected the water-soluble polymer market negatively. However, the market is propelled after the pandemic owing to its surging application in the food and beverage industry.
- The factors driving the market's growth are North America's growing shale gas industry and the rising water treatment industry.
- On the flip side, the fluctuating prices of raw materials will likely hamper the market growth during the forecast period.
- The increasing demand for bio-based acrylamide and its growing application in the pharmaceutical industry will likely provide numerous future opportunities for manufacturers.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market and is projected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Water-soluble Polymer Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Water-soluble Polymer Market according to our research experts:
The Water Treatment Industry is Expected to Dominate the Market
- Water treatment serves a wide range of purposes, which includes meeting requirements for agricultural, medical, household, pharmacological, chemical, and industrial applications.
- Flocculants promote the clumping of destabilized particles obtained after being treated with coagulants. The coagulants neutralize the charge on colloidal particles responsible for keeping them apart.
- Water-soluble polymer flocculants are important constituents of solid-liquid separation units for treating processaffected effluents. They are long-chain water-soluble polymers that separate nonsettling fine solids from aqueous suspensions.
- Water-soluble polymers are used in mineral processing, industrial and municipal wastewater treatment, oil sand tailings dewatering, paper making, and biotechnology.
- Asia-Pacific accounted for a major share of the water and wastewater treatment market due to the high demand from countries like China, India, and Japan. The water and wastewater sector in the region is one of the largest globally.
- Between 2021 and 2025, China intends to construct or upgrade 80,000 km of sewage collection pipeline networks and expand sewage treatment capacity by 20 million cubic meters/day. By 2025, China's industrial wastewater industry will reach around USD 19.4 billion. Moreover, China plans to invest USD 50 billion into several heavily polluting industries, including textile, printing, steel production, oil and gas extraction, coal mining, and pharmaceutical production, as part of its development strategy to transition to a cleaner and more sustainable economy.
- According to the Ministry of Jal Shakti of the Government of India, in FY 2022, the percentage of the rural population having access to safe and adequate drinking water within premises increased to 61.5% from 55.2% in FY2021. Moreover, in India, various companies, such as Suez, Abengoa, and SPML Infra, are investing in water treatment projects. The investment opportunities in the water industry are expected to increase to USD 130 billion by 2030.
- Based on the factors above, the water treatment industry is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China is Expected to Dominate the Asia-Pacific Market
- Water treatment is one of China's largest application industries for water-soluble polymers. China's water treatment industry is consistently growing due to the government's focus on freshwater availability and water pollution (wastewater treatment).
- Under the 13th Five-year plan, the country spent more than CNY 559 billion (USD 82.6 billion) on its water treatment industry, about 0.75% of its total GDP. It increased the demand for water-soluble polymers in the country.
- Pharmaceuticals is another major end-user industry for water-soluble polymers in the country. Recently, Chinese pharmaceutical manufacturers have largely concentrated on producing basic chemicals, intermediates, and active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs). Hence, in a short period, China became the leading global supplier of APIs in terms of volume.
- In 2021, nearly CNY 301 billion (USD 44.5 billion) were invested in the Chinese pharmaceutical business, a decrease of 15.7% from the previous year. Additionally, over CNY 3.3 trillion (USD 487 billion) in revenue was earned by the Chinese pharmaceutical business in 2021, an increase of 20% from 2020.
- Recently, Chinese pharmaceutical manufacturers have focused on developing and producing finished pharmaceutical products to serve the local market. However, the pharmaceutical industry is poised for high growth during the forecast period, with the government's push for policy reforms in line with the Made in China 2025 industrial plan.
- Based on the aspects above, China is expected to dominate the Asia-Pacific region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Water-soluble Polymer Industry Overview
The water-soluble polymer market is fragmented in nature, with the presence of many players accounting for a less share of the market. Some of the major players in the market studied (in no particular order) include SNF Group, Ashland, DuPont, CP Kelco US Inc., and Arkema Group, among others.
Water-soluble Polymer Market Leaders
CP Kelco US Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Water-soluble Polymer Market News
- August 2022: BASF and Nippon Paint China, the leading coatings manufacturer, jointly launched eco-friendly industrial packaging, which the Nippon Paint dry-mixed mortar series products have adopted. With BASF's water-based acrylic dispersion Joncryl High-Performance Barrier (HPB) as the barrier material, the new packaging material is commercialized for constructing dry mortar products of Nippon Paint.
- February 2022: Kemira Oyj announced that it had started the first worldwide full-scale production of its newly developed polyacrylamide polymer based on biobased feedstock. The first commercial volumes are shipped to one of the Helsinki Region Environmental Services (HSY) wastewater treatment plants for trials.
Water-soluble Polymer Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Shale Gas Industry in North America
4.1.2 Surging Water Treatment Industry in Asia-Pacific
4.2.1 Fluctuating Prices of Raw Materials
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Value)
5.1.2 Polyvinyl Alcohol
5.1.3 Guar Gum
5.1.5 Xanthan Gum
5.1.6 Polyacrylic Acid
5.1.7 Polyethylene Glycol
5.1.8 Other Types (Cellulose Ethers, Pectin, and Starch)
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Water Treatment
5.2.2 Food and Beverage
5.2.3 Personal Care and Hygiene
5.2.4 Oil and Gas
5.2.5 Pulp and Paper
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.3 BASF SE
6.4.4 CP Kelco US Inc.
6.4.6 Gantrade Corporation
6.4.8 Kuraray Co. Ltd
6.4.9 Merck KGaA
6.4.10 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.12 Polysciences Inc.
6.4.13 SNF Group
6.4.14 Sumitomo Seika Chemicals Company
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Demand for Bio-based Acrylamide
7.2 Growing Application in the Pharmaceutical Industry
Water-soluble Polymer Market Research FAQs
How big is the Water-soluble Polymer Market?
The Water-soluble Polymer Market size is expected to reach USD 35.01 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.48% to reach USD 45.71 billion by 2028.
What is the current Water-soluble Polymer Market size?
In 2023, the Water-soluble Polymer Market size is expected to reach USD 35.01 billion.
Who are the key players in Water-soluble Polymer Market?
DuPont, Ashland, CP Kelco US Inc., Arkema Group and SNF are the major companies operating in the Water-soluble Polymer Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Water-soluble Polymer Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Water-soluble Polymer Market?
In 2023, the Asia Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Water-soluble Polymer Market.
Water-soluble Polymer Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Water-soluble Polymer market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Water-soluble Polymer analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.