2018 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Wall Covering Market was valued at USD 29.68 billion in 2020, and is projected to be worth USD 39.41 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 4.99% during the period of 2021-2026. With the recent outbreak of COVID 19, the wall covering market is expected to decline due to decrease in advertising across the various part of the world. Moreover, various government are enforcing lockdown of the cities and towns in the country which will also impact the market due to supply chain disruption and closure of many distribution channels.
- The increasing disposable income and a rapid growth in urbanization have been significantly driving the transformation of human social roots on a global scale, by predominantly replacing rural culture which has resulted in the increased usage of wall coverings, along with other modern products.
- Residential constructions account for a substantial market share in the wallpaper market and are expected to witness a significant growth rate. The employment opportunities and population growth are fundamental drivers of rising demand for new housing as sustained population growth across the world has led to increased demand for wall dwellings, including apartments.
- Moreover, with the advent of graphic designing, along with new reproduction capabilities, wallpaper is set to become the next big disrupter in the world of design and décor. Recently, some of the regions of emerging economies of Europe witnessed a considerable rise in the demand for textile wall coverings, owing to which, there has been an increase in the number of imports of textile coverings. According to the Office of National Statistics (UK), the industry revenue of floor and wall covering in the United Kingdom in the year 2024 will rise to USD 5,410 million.
- The wall covering the market suffers from negative consumer perceptions and stiff competition from paint and coatings. Paint is considered to be a better option when compared to wall coverings in certain applications. For instance, in rooms that record high humidity levels, paints are more better suited because paint could be used for both the kitchen and bathroom, can deal with humidity, and is mold resistant unlike the wallpaper.
- Nevertheless, the development of products, such as wallpaper borders, custom wallpaper, and textured wallpaper, is expected to renew the stagnant product category. Also, with advances in wallpaper technology, which make these products easier to apply and remove, are expected to expand sales opportunities, thereby, fuelling the market growth.
- Due to spread of the COVID-19 virus the construction project has taken a hit with workers not reporting to construction site. According to Real Estate Developers Associations of India, there are around 20,000 ongoing projects in India and work is being undertaken in around 18,000 of them which involves a workforce of 8.5 million in construction work. Thus, due to direct impact on construction industry the wall covering market is also expected to affected.
Scope of the Report
Wall covering protects the wall surface from accidental marks or scratches, besides imparting an air of quality and grandeur to uncovered walls. They further help in neutralizing the interior and customizing it with the help of various colors and patterns. Also, these coverings are cost-effective. The two common areas of applications of wall coverings include residential and commercial. Residential wall coverings are mainly used in homes and in small businesses to add attractiveness to rooms and to express an individual style. The market is segmented by product type, application, distribution types across various geographies.
|Metal Wall Covering|
|Other Product Types|
|Building Material Dealer|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Key Market Trends
Wall Panel is Expected to Register a Significant Growth
- Panels include wooden panels and laminates, which are used for covering walls effectively, while also providing protection from the external environment. The usage of wall panels can reduce the construction costs significantly by providing a consistent appearance to the paneled surface without the requirement of application of paint or some other finishing material. Additionally, the growth of the construction industry, owing to urbanization and simplified utility, along with lower costs of insulated wall panels, is expected to drive the demand.
- Advancements in the market have been in the form of insulated wall panels, which provide superior and uniform insulation, in comparison with more common methods of house construction. These panels can be used in almost any architectural setting, but are most common in residential constructions. The greatest advantage of these panels is that they offer superior and uniform insulation when compared to more common methods of house construction.
- The adoption of panels results in an enhanced aesthetic appeal. The wall covers with fewer joints also offer several practical gains, as they are easier to install than separate single tiles and considerable time can be saved during the renovation process. Besides, after the placement of the wall panels, the end-user also benefits from the ease that these panels offer, as the wall is easier to clean and maintain. The growing investments in the hospitality sector, owing to increasing global tourism, is poised to impact the market studied, over the forecast period.
- Moreover, wall panels are increasingly popular as an alternative to ceramic tiling in both kitchens and bathrooms. It was once known as the low-end product used mainly in social housing and large scale public sector projects. However, the developments in design and technology have combined to produce high-quality finishes, textures, and colors, which work with any style of property.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- In the United States, for instance, the public residential building's construction spending rose from USD 5.07 billion in 2014 to USD 6.55 billion in 2019, according to the United States Census Bureau. With this, huge investments were made in home décor and home improvements, in the United States, which propelled the wall covering the market in the country. The similar trend of rising residential constructions, owing to the increasing population across the world, is expected to drive the demand for wall coverings.
- Also, the commercial construction sector is on an upswing. According to the FMI Corporation, in the United States, the new commercial buildings are expected to value USD 99.42 billion in 2021 from USD 47.33 billion in 2012. Furthermore, technological advancements in wall coverings, such as inkjet painting (which is expected to mimic the texture, design, and look of natural wood and stone) are expected to boost the market growth in the region.
- North America is witnessing Flavor Paper, a New York-based wallpaper company, has stepped into the niche area, where a selection of readily available images can be sized to fit specific dimensions or customize the wallpapers by taking buyers' high-resolution digital images and turn them into full-scale wall murals. According to the US Census Bureau, the Paint and wallpaper store sales in the United States in the year 2018 was USD 12.51 dollars which was a 6% increase compared to the prior year.
- According to the US Geological Survey, wallboard product sales in the United States in 2019 were 24,000 million square feet which is a clear indicator of an increasing demand of wall panels from consumers for wall panels in one piece, from wholesalers, DIY markets, architects, and contractors in the region. Moreover, these panels are common in commercial spaces, bathrooms, and toilets.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The wall covering the market is quite fragmented and consists of several players. The companies in the market tend to partner with international designers to make the wall coverings aesthetically pleasant to the eye, and manage to incorporated latest designs and punchy colors and to perfectly enhance the home interiors, shops, hotels, cafés, and restaurants, as well as exhibition stands and public buildings.
- March 2020 - Wall-to-wall compositions make the wallpapers in the AS Creation's new Atelier 47, which is a digital print collection flamboyantly eye-catching with multilayered imagery inspired by urban and natural themes, combined with graphics, geometrics, and striking textures.
- June 2020 - Benjamin Moore and Co. collaborated for a public art project, namely Roseville, in Bloom, which involves the installation of about 20 sculptures (7-foot-tall) of the suburb’s signature flower at parks, libraries, and businesses. Exterior latex paint from the company is being used in the process.
- March 2020 - Tower introduces Conundrum Stripe, Herringbone Row, and Safety Net. Conundrum Stripe’s large-scale, painterly lines feature blurred variations, create a statement across the six hues that pair perfectly with Conundrum.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Increasing Number of Residential Buildings
4.4.2 Availability of Styled Products
4.4.3 Increase in Do-it-yourself (DIY) Trends
4.5 Market Challenges
4.5.1 High Competition from the Paints Segment
4.6 Impact of the Covid-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Wall Panel
5.1.2 Wall Paper
184.108.40.206 Vinyl Wallpaper
220.127.116.11 Non-woven Wallpaper
18.104.22.168 Paper-based Wallpaper
22.214.171.124 Fabric Wallpaper
126.96.36.199 Other Wallpaper Types
5.1.4 Metal Wall Covering
5.1.5 Other Product Types
5.3 Distribution Channel
5.3.1 Specialty Store
5.3.2 Home Center
5.3.3 Building Material Dealer
5.3.4 Furniture Store
5.3.5 Mass Merchandizer
5.3.7 Other Distribution Channels
5.4.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Latin America
22.214.171.124 Rest of Latin America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Brewster Home Fashion
6.1.2 Adfors (Saint Gobain)
6.1.3 Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj
6.1.4 Asian Paints Ltd
6.1.5 Benjamin Moore & Co.
6.1.6 A.S. Création Tapeten AG
6.1.7 J. Josephson Inc.
6.1.8 Walker Greenbank PLC
6.1.9 Grandeco Wallfashion Group
6.1.10 York Wallcoverings Inc.
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Wall Covering Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Wall Covering Market?
The Wall Covering Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.99% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Wall Covering Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Wall Covering Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Wall Covering Market?
- Adfors (Saint Gobain)
- Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj
- Asian Paints Limited (APL)
- Brewster Home Fashion
- A.S. Création Tapeten AG
Are the major companies operating in Wall Covering Market.