Though the market for probiotics in the United States is comparatively small, demand for these products in the region is slated to grow at a rapid pace exceeding a CAGR of 12% during 2017 - 2022. Animal feed constitutes the smallest segment in the United States market for probiotics, with an estimated share of about 15% in 2016. Dietary supplements fortified with probiotics forms the largest, and also the fastest growing product type.
Probiotics is defined by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) as live micro-organisms, which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host.
Prevention and cure of disorders such as lactose intolerance and inflammatory bowel disease are some of the benefits offered by probiotics, with rising health-consciousness levels and wider access to probiotic dietary supplements. The past decade has witnessed the launch of more than 500 food & beverage probiotic products, which have garnered exceptional response in terms of acceptance. Some of the factors that lead to digestive disorders, bloating and reduction in resistance to infections include poor and untimely diet, age and stress levels. Studies have revealed that consuming products enhanced with probiotics has been successful in moderating these conditions to a large extent.
Manufacturers and suppliers of functional foods, in particular, have gained wider margins because of the seal of approval granted to probiotics. However, the players would need to focus on product innovations in order to account for greater market share in the dynamic and ever-evolving field of probiotics. In fact, companies, such as Japan-based Yakult Honsha and Denmark-based CHR Hansen have been successful in developing patented strains of micro-organisms, with the claim of having effect on specific health conditions. In addition, a raft of probiotic ingredient suppliers has also demonstrated success in developing bespoke strains of micro-organisms capable of being incorporated into a range of food products.
What the Report Offers
- A key insight into the market size, share and forecast for probiotics.
- Type of probiotics analyzed by animal feed, dietary supplements, functional foods & beverages and specialty nutrients.
- Applications of probiotics analyzed by preventive, regular and therapeutic modes.
- Ingredients analyzed by bifidobacteria, lactobacilli and yeast.
- Factors instrumental in changing market scenarios and prospective opportunities.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- For gaining an exhaustive understanding of the United States probiotics market.
- Would be of assistance in providing a comprehensive analysis of the major trends and associated prospects for market growth over the coming half a decade.
- An ideal opportunity for industry consultants, probiotic manufacturers and other interested and allied parties to gain a critical insight into the factors driving and restraining the market, in addition to opportunities offered.
- Wide-ranging information provided about the leading market players and the major strategies adopted by them.
1.2 Research Methodology
1.3 Report Outline
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Overview
3.1 Current Market Scenario
3.2 Factors Driving the Probiotics Market
3.2.1 Wider Acceptance and Convenience Offered
3.2.2 Functional Foods & Beverages Growing in Popularity
3.2.3 Population of Aging Baby Boomers, the Major Consumers, On the Rise
3.2.4 Preference for Probiotic Products Gaining from Evolving Applications
3.3 Factors Restraining the Probiotics Market
3.3.1 Consumer Awareness Still Lacking
3.3.2 Effectiveness of Probiotics Comes Under the Scanner
3.4 Opportunities for the Probiotics Market
3.4.1 United States Offers Enormous Prospects
3.5 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.5.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.5.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.5.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.5.5 Degree of Competition
3.6 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4. United States Market Analysis
4.1 By Applications
4.1.1 Animal Feed
4.1.2 Dietary Supplements
4.1.3 Functional Foods & Beverages
4.1.4 Specialty Nutrients
4.2 By Ingredients
5. Policies and Regulations
6. Competitor Analysis
6.1 Market Shares of Leading Global Players
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Global Players
7. Company Profiles
7.1 American Biologics
7.2 Arla Foods
7.3 Bel Group (Fromageries Bel)
7.4 Bio-Energy Systems Inc.
7.5 Bio-K+ International Inc.
7.6 BioGaia AB
7.7 Bongrain SA
7.8 CHR Hansen Holdings A/S
7.9 Calpis Co Ltd.
7.10 China-Biotics Inc.
*List Not Exhaustive