Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The United States POS Terminals Market is expected to register a CAGR of 9.44% from 2022-2027. A few primary factors driving the growth of this market in the region are the prevalence of mobile devices, the rise of eCommerce, open banking, and digital currency.
- The POS terminal market has developed significantly over the past few years, owing to its capability to deliver a better return on investment and ease of access. POS systems that enable transactions from the central component of businesses across industries, like hospitality, retail, banking, and transportation, have gained importance in companies of small and big sizes over the years.
- The rising financial frauds worldwide have influenced government regulatory bodies to protect payment transactions over the past few years. The need for secure payment processes has increased with the increasing demand for safe and reliable digital transactions. Therefore, these regulatory bodies have positively impacted the adoption of POS terminals. Mobile POS systems are attaining traction with the increasing mobility trends in the US. With the advent of cashless transactional technologies, the POS market has witnessed an upsurge in adoption rates.
- The boost in e-commerce and the entangling of brick-and-mortar and online retail practices are expected to affect the development of terminals and face-to-face outlets. With the choice of cash on delivery provided by major e-commerce platforms, a sudden surge in the adoption of mobile POS terminals has been noticed.
- With the rapid technological developments, various global mobile POS vendors are also penetrating the market through collaborations and innovations. The penetration of players in the market studied also encourages the market's growth. In July 2021, Verizon Business signed a deal with Mastercard to use 5G and wireless technology for contactless payments and provide an autonomous checkout service for retail stores. The Verizon Business collaboration with Mastercard aims to utilize 5G smartphones and near-field communication (NFC) technology for merchants to accept customer payments.
- Furthermore, the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly transformed how consumers shop, affecting several market verticals. The retail sector witnessed a major change due to the pandemic. Consumers are more aware of various sales methods, like curbside pickup, contactless payment, and even social commerce, that is, shopping through social media websites. According to the recent retail experts and shopper surveys, the behavior change is anticipated to persist over the studied forecast period. Such trends have influenced the demand for POS terminals across regions.
Scope of the Report
United States POS Terminals Market is Segmented By Component (Hardware and Software), Type (Fixed Point-of-sale Terminals, Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Terminals), End-user Industries (Retail, Hospitality, Healthcare), and Connectivity (Traditional and wireless).
The Point of sale is the time and location where a transaction is completed. A POS system is computer hardware and software that controls the transaction while selling a product or a service. It helps to capture, share, store, and report data related to the sales transaction. It eases the shopping experience and helps to expedite the checkout process, resulting in customer satisfaction.
|Fixed Point-of-sale Systems|
|Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems|
|By End-User Industry|
Key Market Trends
The Retail Segment is Expected to Grow Significantly
- Retailers are employing mobile POS software programs to remotely access their establishments and reduce the factors contributing to decreased revenues, owing to the non-availability of staff. This gives the owners frequent updates on the work done within retail locations. It also makes it possible to track and organize the products in both physical and online marketplaces. Market leaders have introduced retail POS terminal software compatible with NFC and EMV compliance, enabling customers to make payments more quickly and securely.
- The increasing need for multiple POS systems among big retailers, supermarkets, and departmental stores with a robust and centralized system has propelled the retail sector's steady growth in the POS terminal market. The increased emphasis on consumer behavior has led to increased POS adoption due to its consumer mapping application.
- In October 2021, GoDaddy designed a new POS system that can be fully integrated with WooCommerce to allow online stores to incorporate in-person selling with their existing sites faster so they could start selling immediately.
- An increasing retail sale will support the growth of the POS terminal in the forecast time frame. According to US Census Bureau, the monthly grocery sales in December 2021 were USD 71.845 million compared to USD 63.171 million in January 2021.
- Furthermore, consumers are rapidly gravitating toward contactless payments, according to the State of Contactless Payments 2021 report by Raydiant. More than 83% of the 1,000 respondents used contactless checkout in 2020. Furthermore, The National Retail Federation (NRF) summarized data from Mastercard for the same period, which exhibits that eight in 10 American shoppers are using contactless payments due to concerns over safety and cleanliness. Most respondents also plan to continue using contactless checkout even after the pandemic. Similar trends are expected to create significant demand for POS terminals.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Hardware is Expected to Hold a Major Share
- The scope of hardware components mainly constitutes standalone POS terminals (transaction enablement units) and an integrated POS system that features additional transactional capabilities. While a lot of hardware has been modular, the emergence of All-In-One units has allowed the deployment of fixed units and portable POS tablets, which features built-in payment terminals, printers, and scanners.
- In some nations, credit and debit cards are only processed via payment terminals because of a belief that physical traits offer reliability. This tradition enabled counters to be overridden with terminals in stores typically. The demand is additionally supported by the fact that debit and credit card data is less exposed to hackers than when payment cards are processed through a POS system where the security measures depend on developers and end users.
- Security is another hardware aspect regularly overlooked, with several companies focusing on the element and aiming to strengthen it. To prevent employee theft, it has become imperative that a POS system provide an admin window to generate and inspect a list of sales, a feature that has become a need owing to the frequency of canceled receipts before completion, refunded, and negative tickets.
- Furthermore, In February 2022, Apple launched Tap to Pay on iPhone. This capability will empower merchants across the US, from small businesses to large retailers, to use their iPhone to seamlessly and securely accept Apple Pay, contactless debit and credit cards, and other digital wallets by simply tapping their iPhone. This will reduce the burden of having hardware or a payment terminal.
- Most new hardware manufactured for the market studied is designed around enabling smoother transactions. However, the compelled distancing due to the pandemic has prompted the development of contactless payments with reliable authentication features. The addition of fingerprint and camera sensors is pushing for larger form sizes. Still, it is also being countered by industry developments that allow manufacturers to go smaller in the hunt for micro-electronics.
The United States POS Terminals Market is moderately fragmented. The market consists of major players, such as Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, Honeywell International Corporation, and NEC Corporation. Some of the key developments in the market are:
- In January 2022, Visa unveiled a new cloud-based payment platform, Visa Acceptance Cloud(VAC), that can turn any device into a POS terminal. The platform enables any POS device to accept payments easily and to include a range of added services, such as buy now, pay later, fraud management, Rapid Seller Onboarding, and advanced data analytics.
- In October 2021, Sierra Wireless announced the availability of its 5G managed network service in the United States, allowing the enhancement of POS and kiosk solutions with the speed and low latency of 5G cellular wireless connectivity for business-critical applications.
- In April 2022, VizyPay, the payment processing company for small businesses based in the United States, introduced the VizyPOS App for PAX Technology point-of-sales (POS) systems. The VizyPOS app is built for vendors looking for more flexibility and eliminates the need for traditional payment terminals, reducing monthly overhead costs.
- In January 2022, Adyen, the global payments platform, announced the launch of mobile Android point of sale (POS) terminals in the United States. The terminals come with an app management system, allowing merchants to upload and manage their daily apps for inventory management, loyalty programs, returns, and more.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Sizing and Estimates of United States POS Terminals Market
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Investments in POS and Digitalization in the Payment Industry are Expected to Boost the Market Growth
5.1.2 Growing Demand for Contactless Payments to Drive POS Terminal Market
5.1.3 Increasing Demand for More Secured Payment Options to Drive Market Growth
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Security Concerns Related to Cyber Attacks and Data Breaches
5.2.2 Lack of robust and reliable infrastructures in the remote regions
5.3 Key Regulations and Complaince Standards of PoS Terminals
5.4 Commentary on the rising use of contactless payment and its impact on the industry
5.5 Analysis of Major Case Studies
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 BY TYPE
6.1.1 Fixed Point-of-sale Systems
6.1.2 Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems
6.2 By End-User Industry
6.3 By Connectivity
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 VeriFone System Inc.
7.1.2 Ingenico Inc.
7.1.3 BBPOS Limited
7.1.4 Castles Technology
7.1.5 NEC Corporation
7.1.6 PAX Technology Ltd
7.1.7 USA Technology
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The United States POS Terminals Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of United States POS Terminals Market?
The United States POS Terminals Market is growing at a CAGR of 9.44% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in United States POS Terminals Market?
VeriFone, Inc., Ingenico Inc., PAX Technology, Castles Technology, BBPOS Limited are the major companies operating in United States POS Terminals Market.