UK Berries Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
UK Berries Market Analysis
The United Kingdom Berries Market size is estimated at USD 1.65 billion in 2023, and is expected to reach USD 2.18 billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 5.74% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- The United Kingdom is primarily a marginal climate for commercial growers due to the lack of longer and more intense hours of sunlight. Despite this factor, some areas in the United Kingdom, such as Kent, Worcestershire, and Herefordshire, have a combination of soil and sunlight that make the growing of fruit trees, including berries, on a large scale. The country is also one of the major trade partners of berries.
- Approximately 95% of UK-grown berries are purchased by the leading supermarkets, which also supply a large proportion of berries imported into the country. Angus Soft Fruits Ltd and BerryWorld are some of the leading suppliers of berries to the United Kingdom and European retailers. S&A Produce, Total Berry, and Rodanto are other major suppliers of berries in the United Kingdom.
- Spain, Chile, and the Netherlands are a few major importers of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries from the United Kingdom. Spain is an upcoming importer of fresh berries, both for the internal market and re-export. Although Spain has increased its blueberry production in recent years, it still depends on the United Kingdom to meet its demand.
UK Berries Market Trends
Rise in the Consumer Preference for Berries
- The British blueberry season is flourishing in the country due to the rapid growth of the blueberry bush plantations across the United Kingdom to meet the increased demand for home-grown fruit among the British. This, in turn, has led to increased overall berry revenue in the country, which will further boost market growth.
- The improved weather conditions and Easter generally lead to greater demand for summer fruits, like strawberries, in the country. A major wholesaler, TG Fruits, introduced strawberries in the country to meet the high demand for the fruit. The quality of strawberries is checked and graded in the country before being introduced in the market for consumption. Various supermarkets latched onto the importance of soft fruits, stocking full shelves and ensuring berries are easily available to consumers.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) database reported a decrease in strawberry and raspberry production in the country owing to the rising preference among consumers for fruit salads and as ingredients in other products, including fresh fruit used to decorate bakery products.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Strawberries Dominate the United Kingdom Berries Market
- The production of strawberries stood at 114,614 metric tons in 2021. A new survey commissioned by Love fresh berries revealed that strawberries are the United Kingdom's favorite fruit. The survey also revealed that half of Britain's top ten desserts typically contain berries, of which strawberries topped the list. Consumption of total British berries in the year 2021 was 107,000 tons.
- UK consumers strongly prefer homegrown strawberries, which is good news for local growers. The fact that strawberries comprise such a large percentage of the UK berries market shows how popular they are among consumers. Kent, Sussex, and Wales are well-known regions for growing strawberries in the United Kingdom, and they are often associated with early-season varieties. These regions benefit from mild temperatures and ample rainfall, which are ideal strawberry-growing conditions. Other regions in the United Kingdom, such as Herefordshire and Scotland, also have a strong tradition of growing strawberries.
- Overall, there is still a strong demand for locally grown produce in the United Kingdom, and consumers are willing to support domestic growers by buying UK strawberries. Not only does this help to support the local economy, but it also helps to reduce the environmental impact of food transportation.
- Strawberries' tremendous nutritional benefits, coupled with the rapid facilitation of the supply chain through online retailing by supermarkets, are expected to result in a rebounded demand during the forecast period. The demand for consumption is expected to increase production during the forecast period.
UK Berries Market News
- June 2022: The United Kingdom launched a scheme that supports berries farmers in adopting more sustainable practices, including reducing the use of pesticides and fertilizers, improving soil health, and promoting biodiversity.
- August 2021: Victoria Sweet Blackberry variety was introduced to the United Kingdom market in 2021 and is known for its large, juicy berries and sweet flavor.
UK Berries Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Production Analysis
5.1.2 Consumption Analysis and Market Value
5.1.3 Import Market Analysis (Volume and Value)
5.1.4 Export Market Analysis (Volume and Value)
5.1.5 Price Trend Analysis
5.2.1 Production Analysis
5.2.2 Consumption Analysis and Market Value
5.2.3 Import Market Analysis (Volume and Value)
5.2.4 Export Market Analysis (Volume and Value)
5.2.5 Price Trend Analysis
5.3.1 Production Analysis
5.3.2 Consumption Analysis and Market Value
5.3.3 Import Market Analysis (Volume and Value)
5.3.4 Export Market Analysis (Volume and Value)
5.3.5 Price Trend Analysis
6. COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS
6.1 Distribution Network and Retail Analysis
6.2 List/Profile of Key Players
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
UK Berries Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The United Kingdom Berries Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of United Kingdom Berries Market?
The United Kingdom Berries Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.74% over the next 5 years.
What is United Kingdom Berries Market size in 2028?
The United Kingdom Berries Market is valued at 2 Billion USD in 2028.
UK Berry Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 UK Berry market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. UK Berry analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.