2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Tin Market size was estimated at over 360 kilo tons in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Automotive manufacturing units were on a temporary halt owing to the pandemic scenario, which also lowered down the production of fuel tanks, sealants, nuts, bolts, radiator, roofing, and other parts, and thus created a negative impact on the tin market demand. However, the packaging industry gained momentum during the pandemic period, and increasing use of tin in packaging of pharmaceutical and food & beverage items have in-turn stimulated the market demand for the tin.
- Over the medium term, growing demand from the electronics industry and increasing housing construction activities in emerging economies of Asia-Pacific are driving the growth of the tin market.
- Miniaturization of electronic products and the availability of substitutes like aluminum and tin-free steel for the production of metallic products like containers, etc. are hindering the market's growth.
- New cheap tin-aluminum alloy in lithium-ion batteries, shifting focus toward recycling of tin, and recovery in secondary refined tin output are likely to create opportunities for the market in the coming years.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Tin is a soft, pliable, silvery-white metal that poses both malleability and ductility characteristics. It is mainly derived from the mineral cassiterite, which contains about 80% of tin. The tin market is segmented by product type, application, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into Metal, Alloy, and Compounds. By application, the market is segmented into Solder, Tin Plating, Specialized Alloys, Lead-Acid Batteries, Chemicals, and Other Applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into Automotive, Electronics, Packaging, Glass, and Other End-User Industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the tin market in 16 countries and production scenario for 10 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilo tons).
|Packaging (Food and Beverages)|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Geography (Market Size by Volume)|
Key Market Trends
Soldering to be the Fastest-growing Application
- Tin is an important component in solders, as it melts and adheres to many common base metals at temperatures considerably below their melting points.
- Tin is alloyed with lead to produce solders with melting points lower than those of either tin or lead. Small amounts of different metals, notably antimony and silver, are added to tin-lead solders to increase their strength. These solders can be used for joints subjected to high or even subzero service temperatures.
- Innovations are being made for producing lead, cadmium, and antimony-free solders, in order to reduce their impact on human health and the environment. Tin metals are now alloyed with many other base metals, adhering to the healthy environmental norms.
- The electronics and electrical industries use solders containing 40-70% tin, which provides strong and reliable joints under a variety of environmental conditions. At present, the majority of the assemblers are using patented tin-copper-based solders.
- The average proportion of lead-free solders in electronics industry increased to 77% globally in 2020 from 2019. 72% of specified tin which is used globally in lead-free solders contained less than 100ppm of lead. The trend toward higher-purity, lower-lead specifications in tinplate continued in 2019, as 45% of refined tin used contained less than 50ppm of lead, which has enhanced the usage of tin in soldering application.
- Asia-Pacific is currently the biggest market for tin-based solders, due to its rising demand in the electronics industry, along with growing production base. China is the biggest market for tin-based solders, in terms of production and consumption, where the immense and growing electronics and automotive industries are driving the demand. North America is the second-largest market, followed by Europe, for tin-based solders.
- ASEAN region has the fastest growing consumer electronics segment in Asia-Pacific, as electronics manufacturing is one of the most prominent sectors in the ASEAN region. The sector accounts for about 30%-35% of the total exports from the region. Most global consumer electronic products, such as computers, and cellular phones, are manufactured and assembled in the ASEAN countries.
- Owing to all these factors, the market for tin is likely to grow globally during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region was the largest market for tin. China is one of the largest producers and consumers of tin, globally. The automotive industry, one of the major contributors in the tin market and the automotive sector has been shaping up for product evolution, with China focusing on manufacturing products, in order to ensure fuel economy and minimize emissions owing to the growing environmental concerns due to mounting pollution in the country.
- Tin, along with other metals, is used in numerous automotive applications that include fuel tanks, sealants, wiring, radiator, seat cushions, seams and welds, fasteners, screws, nuts, bolts, and roofing. As of Q3 2019, China had produced 18.17 million vehicles and reached 16.96 million vehicles by Q3 2020, registering a decline rate of about 6.66%, which in-turn has led to a decrease in the consumption of parts made up of tin, thus creating a negative effect on the regional tin market growth.
- Similarly, India produced 3.5 million vehicles by Q3 2019 , whereas the production reached only 2.2 million vehicles till Q3 2020, witnessing a growth rate of about -37%, majorly due to the ongoing pandemic situation, in-turn impacting the market demand of tin in the country.
- In addition, the other major end-user industries for tin include electrical and electronics, heavy engineering, packaging, etc. China’s information and communication technology (ICT) sector has grown at a rapid pace in the past decade, owing to the support of the Chinese government and favorable digitization plans and policies.
- China has the world’s largest electronics production base. Electronic products, such as smartphones, TVs, portable computing devices, gaming systems, and other personal electronic devices, recorded the highest growth in the electronics segment. The country serves not only domestic demand for electronics but also exports electronic output to other countries. It is the world’s most extensive electronics manufacturing ecosystem and supply chain, with more than five times the electronics suppliers based in Japan. Additionally, the current COVID-19 scenario is expected to hamper the growth of the electronics market in the country between 2020-2021.
- However, due to all such factors, the market for tin in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market is highly consolidated, with the 10 major producers accounting for more than 60% of the global market. Some of the major players in the market include YUNNAN TIN COMPANY GROUP LIMITED, PT TIMAH Tbk., Malaysia Smelting Corporation Berhad, Yunnan Chengfeng Nonferrous Metals Co., Ltd., and MINSUR, among others.
- In June 2020, Aurubis AG has acquired the recycling company Metallo, a global provider and recycler of metals like tin, lead, nickel, copper, and zinc, to strengthen its global presence in the smelting business and enhancing its portfolio.
- In February 2020, JFE Steel Corporation has decided to close one of its tin mills, producing electrolytic tinplate, in the Chiba district of Japan by March 2020 to consolidate tinplate lines.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Demand from the Electronics Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Housing Construction Activities in Emerging Economies of Asia-Pacific
4.2.1 Stagnant or Declining Tin Production in the Upcoming Years
4.2.2 Miniaturization of Electronic Products
4.2.3 Availability of Substitutes
4.2.4 Unfavorable Conditions Arising due to the Impact of COVID-19
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.2.2 Tin Plating
5.2.3 Specialized Alloys
5.2.4 Lead-acid Batteries
5.2.6 Other Applications
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Packaging (Food and Beverages)
5.3.5 Other End-user Industries
5.4 Geography (Market Size by Volume)
5.4.1 Production Analysis
188.8.131.52 Congo (Kinshasa)
5.4.2 Consumption Analysis
184.108.40.206 Asia Pacific
220.127.116.11.4 South Korea
18.104.22.168.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
22.214.171.124 North America
126.96.36.199.1 United States
188.8.131.52.2 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206.6 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South America
18.104.22.168.3 Rest of South America
22.214.171.124 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199.1 South Africa
188.8.131.52.2 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206.3 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Avalon Rare Metals Inc.
6.4.4 Gejiu Zili Mining and Smelting Co. Ltd
6.4.5 Guangxi China Tin Group Co. Ltd
6.4.6 Indium Corporation
6.4.7 Malaysia Smelting Corporation Berhad
6.4.8 Metallo Group
6.4.10 PT TIMAH Tbk.
6.4.11 Thailand Smelting and Refining Co. Ltd
6.4.12 Yunnan Chengfeng Nonferrous Metals Co., Ltd
6.4.13 Yunnan Tin Company Group Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 New Cheap Tin-aluminum Alloy in Lithium-ion Batteries
7.2 Shifting Focus toward Recycling of Tin
7.3 Recovery in Secondary Refined Tin Output
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Tin Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Global Tin Market?
The Global Tin Market is growing at a CAGR of >2% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Tin Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Tin Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Global Tin Market?
- YUNNAN TIN COMPANY GROUP LIMITED
- Malaysia Smelting Corporation Berhad
- Yunnan Chengfeng Nonferrous Metals Co., Ltd
- PT TIMAH Tbk.
Are the major companies operating in Global Tin Market.