South Africa Maize Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 2.42 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 2.94 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||4.00 %|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
South Africa Maize Market Analysis
The South Africa Maize Market size is expected to grow from USD 2.42 billion in 2023 to USD 2.94 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 4% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Maize production in South Africa has increased in the recent past. According to the Crop Estimates Committee (CEC), maize production increased by 6.0% during the 2020-2021 cropping season compared to the previous.
- On a local level, maize is the most widely grown field crop and the most important source of carbohydrates in southern Africa. South Africa is currently the continent's leading maize producer, with the majority of output concentrated in the North West region, the Free State, the Mpumalanga Highveld, and the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands. Currently, white maize accounts for over half of the total output of human consumption. Regions such as Free State, Mpumalanga, and the North-West provinces accounted for 84.0% of the overall production of maize in the country in 2020-2021.
- Maize By Products has a wide potential for various industries in the domestic market. According to Grain South Africa, maize by-products are currently being used in animal feed, food industry, textile and paper, pharmaceuticals, and the alcohol industry in South Africa. As these allied markets are increasing, the demand for maize is expected to grow during the forecast period.
South Africa Maize Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the South Africa Maize Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Use of Maize in Animal Feed
- South Africa needs to be more sufficient to produce raw materials required for making animal feeds; hence, animal feed manufacturers need to import a major chunk of the requirements.
- Since essential protein-containing raw materials are usually imported, the cost of feed-making rises. Imports of sunflower oilcake more than tripled, increasing by 44,500 metric tons, while soybean meal imports increased by 382 573 metric tons. Maize is abundantly available compared to other cereals and oilseed crops, making it highly potent for feed in the domestic market.
- Dairy producers in South Africa continue to need help dealing with the cost squeeze between money received for raw milk produced and rising farm input expenses, the majority of which are feed prices. This is paving the way for maize to be an excellent alternative for high-cost animal feeds, with both the producer and processing sides prefer maize-based feeds.
- Despite the decrease in the number of dairy farmers, milk output has increased from about 2,941,371.0 liters in 2015 to 3,154,673.7 liters in 2021, which is linked to greater use of animal feed. This is anticipated to drive the market for maize during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
South Africa is a Major Exporter of Maize
- South Africa is a significant exporter of maize, with exports valued at USD 809,266.0 Thousand in the year 2021. According to ICT, the maize export increased by 65% in 2021, though there was a decrease in export in 2019. The decreased area under production during the 2018-2019 cropping season was the primary reason for a 31.0% decline in the export of maize in 2019, accounting for 1.1 million tons.
- In 2021, 22% of the total maize produced in the country was exported to Japan. Other significant destinations include Botswana, VieJapan Taipei, Chinese Korea, Republic of Zimbabwe Viet NamJapan Taipei, Chinese Korea, Republic of Zimbabwe Viet NamJapan Taipei, Chinese Korea, Republic of Zimbabwe, the Republic of Korea, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Eswatini, and Tanzania which are the primary importers of maize from South Africa. The changing food patterns and developments in Maize processing can be attributed to the increasing demand for maize which is likely to increase its export.
- The South African government is investing heavily in smallholder agricultural development to escape poverty. Maize is a key export commodity and a staple that provides livelihood to millions of smallholder farmers. The emphasis on agricultural development through maize in South Africa is part of a larger trend that has seen increasing attention dedicated to crop technology and market integration as major components of agriculture-led poverty reduction in Africa during the last two decades, which is likely to boost production and export during the forecast period.
- The South African government is investing heavily in smallholder agricultural development as a means of escaping poverty. Maize is a key export commodity as well as a staple that provides livelihood to millions of smallholder farmers. The emphasis on agricultural development through maize in South Africa is part of a larger trend that has seen increasing attention dedicated to crop technology and market integration as major components of agriculture-led poverty reduction in Africa during the last two decades which is likely to boost production and export during the forecast period.
South Africa Maize Market News
- August 2022: The University of the Free State and Grain South Africa entered into a joint venture for developing innovative new food maize products that could boost the nutritional intake of people in South Africa with lower incomes.
- June 2022: The National Biotechnology Development Agency (NBDA) of Nigeria released a new variety of maize called the Tela, which is a genetically modified organisms (GMO) crop variety designed to resist insect pests like fall armyworms and stem-borers and to tolerate moderate drought. This variety is set for trails in South Africa and will soon be available in the commercial market.
- March 2022: Corteva Agriscience launched their leading seed brands, Pannar and Pioneer, with PowerCore technology for South Africa's maize farmers. The solution is a new high-performing, herbicide-resistant seed trait that effectively helps protect crops from damaging above-ground insects, such as the maize stalk borer and spotted maize stem borer.
South Africa Maize Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Production Analysis (Volume)
5.2 Consumption Analysis (Value and Volume)
5.3 Import Analysis (Value and Volume)
5.4 Export Analysis (Value and Volume)
5.5 Price Trend Analysis
6. REGIONAL ANALYSIS
6.1 PESTLE Analysis
6.2 Value/Supply Chain Analysis
6.3 Government Regulations and Policies
7. COMPETITVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Distribution Network and Retail Analysis
7.2 List of Distributors/Traders
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
South Africa Maize Market Research FAQs
How big is the South Africa Maize Market?
The South Africa Maize Market size is expected to reach USD 2,419.70 million in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 4% to reach USD 2,943.94 million by 2028.
What is the current South Africa Maize Market size?
In 2023, the South Africa Maize Market size is expected to reach USD 2,419.70 million.
Maize in South Africa Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Maize in South Africa market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Maize in South Africa analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.