|Study Period:||2015 - 2027|
|Largest Share by Product Type:||Engine Oils|
|Fastest Growing by Product Type:||Hydraulic Fluids|
The South Africa Commercial Vehicles Lubricants Market stood at 124.59 million liters in 2022 and is projected to register a CAGR of 3.19% to reach 145.78 million liters in 2027.
- Largest Segment by Product Type - Engine Oils : As it is used in large quantities and replenished more frequently than other product categories, engine oil is highly popular in commercial vehicle fleets in South Africa.
- Fastest Segment by Product Type - Hydraulic Fluids : Hydraulic fluid will likely have the fastest growth among all product types due to increased travel rates and expected growth in production outputs in the coming years.
Scope of the Report
|By Product Type|
|Transmission & Gear Oils|
Key Market Trends
Largest Segment By Product Type : Engine Oils
- In South Africa, commercial vehicles (CV) form the largest segment in terms of automotive lubricant consumption. During 2015-2019, lubricant consumption registered a CAGR of 1.26% in the CV segment. The growth was majorly driven by the growing freight transportation in the country.
- The commercial vehicle lubricant consumption declined by 3.26%, as the COVID-19 pandemic affected freight transportation in 2020. The engine oil segment accounts for around 75.7% share in the CV lubricant consumption. A major decline of 3.97% was observed in the consumption of engine oils in the CV segment during the year.
- During 2021-2026, the transmission oils segment is likely to be the fastest-growing product type, exhibiting a CAGR of 4.29%. The recovery in the usage and sales of commercial vehicles is likely to drive the consumption of transmission oils over the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The South Africa Commercial Vehicles Lubricants Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 80.49%. The major players in this market are Astron Energy Pty Ltd, BP PLC (Castrol), Engen Petroleum Ltd, Royal Dutch Shell Plc and TotalEnergies (sorted alphabetically).
- March 2022: FUCHS company introduced Maintain Fricofin and Titan GT1 Flex small pack lubricants for automotive applications.
- January 2022: Effective April 1, ExxonMobil Corporation was organized along three business lines – ExxonMobil Upstream Company, ExxonMobil Product Solutions and ExxonMobil Low Carbon Solutions.
- October 2021: Valvoline and Cummins extended their long-standing marketing and technology collaboration agreement for another five years. Cummins will endorse and promote Valvoline's Premium Blue engine oil for its heavy-duty diesel engines and generators and will distribute Valvoline products through its global distribution networks.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary & Key Findings
2.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
2.2 Scope of the Study
2.3 Research Methodology
3. Key Industry Trends
3.1 Automotive Industry Trends
3.2 Regulatory Framework
3.3 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Product Type
4.1.1 Engine Oils
4.1.3 Hydraulic Fluids
4.1.4 Transmission & Gear Oils
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Key Strategic Moves
5.2 Market Share Analysis
5.3 Company Profiles
5.3.1 Astron Energy Pty Ltd
5.3.2 BP PLC (Castrol)
5.3.3 Engen Petroleum Ltd
5.3.4 ExxonMobil Corporation
5.3.6 Puma Energy
5.3.7 Royal Dutch Shell Plc
5.3.10 Valvoline Inc.
6.1 Appendix-1 References
6.2 Appendix-2 List of Tables & Figures
7. Key Strategic Questions for Lubricants CEOs
List of Tables & Figures
COMMERCIAL VEHICLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, SOUTH AFRICA, 2015 - 2026
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, ENGINE OILS, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, ENGINE OILS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, GREASES, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, GREASES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, HYDRAULIC FLUIDS, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, HYDRAULIC FLUIDS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, TRANSMISSION & GEAR OILS, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, TRANSMISSION & GEAR OILS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, MOST ACTIVE COMPANIES, BY NUMBER OF STRATEGIC MOVES, 2018 - 2021
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, MOST ADOPTED STRATEGIES, 2018 - 2021
SOUTH AFRICA COMMERCIAL VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET SHARE(%), BY MAJOR PLAYERS, 2020
- Vehicle Types - Passenger Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles and Motorcycles are the vehicle types considered under the automotive lubricants market.
- Product Types - For the purpose of this study, lubricant products such as engine oils, transmission oils, greases and hydraulic fluids are taken into consideration.
- Service Refill - Service refill is the primary factor considered while accounting the lubricant consumption for each of the vehicle segments, under the study.
- Factory Fill - First lubricant fill-ups for newly produced vehicles are considered.
Mordor Intelligence follows a four-step methodology in all our reports.
- Step-1: Identify Key Variables: The quantifiable key variables (industry and extraneous) pertaining to the specific product segment and country are selected from a group of relevant variables & factors based on desk research & literature review; along with primary expert inputs. These variables are further confirmed through regression modeling (wherever required).
- Step-2: Build a Market Model: In order to build a robust forecasting methodology, the variables and factors identified in Step-1 are tested against available historical market numbers. Through an iterative process, the variables required for market forecast are set and the model is built on the basis of these variables.
- Step-3: Validate and Finalize: In this important step, all market numbers, variables and analyst calls are validated through an extensive network of primary research experts from the market studied. The respondents are selected across levels and functions to generate a holistic picture of the market studied.
- Step-4: Research Outputs: Syndicated Reports, Custom Consulting Assignments, Databases & Subscription Platforms