Kenya Lubricants Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Volume (2023)||51.66 kilotons|
|Market Volume (2028)||55.96 kilotons|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||1.61 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Kenya Lubricants Market Analysis
The Kenya Lubricants Market size is expected to grow from 51.66 kilotons in 2023 to 55.96 kilotons by 2028, at a CAGR of 1.61% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
New car sales in the country increased in 2021 as economic growth rebounded from a pandemic-induced slump the previous year, driving up demand. This had a positive impact on the lubricants market in the country. The condition is expected to surge in 2022, benefitting the market studied.
- Increasing demand from industrial and construction segments and other factors drive the market growth.
- The impact of COVID-19 and other reasons are expected to hinder the market growth.
- Investments in power generation and the automotive sector will likely create a lucrative growth opportunity for the studied market.
Kenya Lubricants Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Kenya Lubricants Market according to our research experts:
Power Generation is Expected to Witness Fast Growth
- Eastern African countries such as Kenya are expanding rapidly in industries, urbanization, and power generation capabilities.
- Power generation is among the fastest-growing end-user industries for the consumption of lubricants. According to the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) annual Economic Survey, the total installed power generation capacity in 2022 is about 2,990 MW.
- According to Kenya Energy Sector Roadmap 2040, the country intends to increase Kenya's installed capacity to 100 GW by 2040. To achieve this goal, the country will have to install an average of 5 GW annually from 2022 to 2040.
- The Kenyan government is also interested in the development of renewable sources of energy to produce electricity. Private investments in these projects are the primary reasons for boosting the demand for lubricants from the power production sector.
- By 2022, Kenya's nuclear power development program will have a total installed power generating capacity of 5,221MW, establishing a legislative and regulatory framework and site selection and capacity building, thus creating promising opportunities for the market studied.
- The Government of Kenya (GoK) has a long-term vision of transforming Kenya into an industrialized middle-income country with a high standard of living for all Kenyans by 2030.
- Such factors will likely lead to a rise in the demand for lubricants in the country's power generation industry.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Usage in Automotive and Other Transportation
- Lubricants such as engine oils, transmission fluids, Hydraulic fluids, Gear oils, and grease are used in various automotive applications to prevent them from wear and tear.
- Due to the increase in urbanization in Kenya, the demand for automobiles has been growing.
- According to the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, the production of assembled vehicles increased from 1,114 units in February 2022 to 1,154 units in March 2022.
- According to the Kenya Motor Industry Association (KMI), sales increased by 31.5 percent to 10,044 units in the first nine months of 2021, compared to 7,637 units sold a year before by Isuzu East Africa, Toyota Kenya, and Simba Corporation, with commercial vehicles accounting for the majority of the sales.
- Kenya's government plans to boost the domestic assembly of motor vehicles by providing tax exemptions. This, in turn, is expected to increase the local vehicle assembly operations in Kenya in the coming years.
- Increase in the usage of secondhand cars and various government schemes to encourage the automotive segment in the country. The lubricant market is expected to rise in the forecasted years.
Kenya Lubricants Industry Overview
The Kenyan lubricant market is consolidated in nature, with very few major players occupying a large portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Total Kenya, Vivo Energy (Shell), OLA Energy, Kenol Kobil, and National Oil Corporation of Kenya, among others.
Kenya Lubricants Market Leaders
Vivo Energy (Shell)
National Oil Corporation of Kenya
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Kenya Lubricants Market News
- September 2022: Maximus Group planned to acquire a 49% stake in Kenya-based Quantum Lubricants. Earlier, in 2019, MXAL had acquired a 51 percent equity stake in QLL which paved its entry into lubricant manufacturing in the African markets. With the ongoing acquisition of 49%, MXAL will take control of QLL's entire operations.
- July 2022: Maximus International Limited (MIL) announced INR 25 crore expansion plan for East African operations in the next two to three years. This plan is designed to augment its manufacturing capacity.
Kenya Lubricants Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from Industrial and Construction Segments
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.3 Industry Value Chain
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Engine Oils
5.1.2 Transmission and Hydraulic Fluids
5.1.3 Gear Oils
5.1.4 General Industrial Oils
5.1.6 Other Product Types
5.2 By End-user Industry
5.2.1 Power Generation
5.2.2 Automotive and Other Transportation
5.2.3 Heavy Equipment
5.2.4 Food and Beverage
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%) Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Galana Oil Kenya Limited
6.4.3 Kenol Kobil
6.4.4 National Oil Corporation of Kenya
6.4.5 OLA Energy
6.4.6 Oryx Energies
6.4.7 Sepyana Oil EA
6.4.10 Vivo Energy (Shell)
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Kenya Lubricants Market Research FAQs
How big is the Kenya Lubricants Market?
The Kenya Lubricants Market size is expected to reach 51.66 kilotons in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 1.61% to reach 55.96 kilotons by 2028.
What is the current Kenya Lubricants Market size?
In 2023, the Kenya Lubricants Market size is expected to reach 51.66 kilotons.
Who are the key players in Kenya Lubricants Market?
Total Kenya, Vivo Energy (Shell), OLA Energy, Kenol Kobil and National Oil Corporation of Kenya are the major companies operating in the Kenya Lubricants Market.
Lubricants in Kenya Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Lubricants in Kenya market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Lubricants in Kenya analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.