Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The market for Kenya lubricants is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period.
COVID-19 has resulted in many factories shutting down across industries. During the year 2020 the automotive sector has seen a steep fall owing to the pandemic situation. However New car sales in the country have jumped up in 2021 as economic growth rebounded from a pandemic-induced slump the previous year, driving up demand. This had a positive impact on the lubricants market in the country. The condition is expected to surge in 2022, thereby benefitting the market studied.
- Increasing demand from industrial and construction segments and other factors are driving the market growth.
Scope of the Report
Lubricant products are made from a combination of base oils and additives. The composition of base oil in the formulation of lubricants is primarily between 75-90%. Base oils possess lubricating properties and make up to 90% of the final lubricant product. The market is segmented by product type and end-user industry. By product type, the market is segmented by engine oil, transmission and hydraulic fluid, general industrial oil, gear oil, grease, and other product types. By end-user industry, the market is segmented by power generation, automotive and other transportation, heavy equipment, food and beverage, and other end-user industries. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (million liters).
|Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid|
|General Industrial Oil|
|Other Product Types|
|Automotive and Other Transportation|
|Food and Beverage|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Power generation to Witness Fast Growth
- Eastern African countries such as Kenya are expanding rapidly in terms of industries, urbanization, and power generation capabilities.
- Power generation is among the fastest-growing end-user industries for the consumption of lubricants. According to the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics' (KNBS) annual Economic Survey, total installed power generation capacity in 2020 recorded at about 2,836.7 MW.
- By 2022, Kenya's nuclear power development programme will have a total installed power generating capacity of 5,221MW, as well as the establishment of a legislative and regulatory framework, as well as site selection and capacity building thus crerating promising opportunities for the market studied.
- The Government of Kenya (GoK) has a long-term vision of transforming Kenya into an industrialised middle-income country with a high standard of living for all Kenyans by 2030.
- Such factors are likely to lead to a rise in the demand for lubricants in the country's power generation industry.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Usage in Automotive and Other Transportation
- Lubricants such as engine oils, transmission fluids, Hydraulic fluids, Gears oils and grease are used in various automotive applications to prevent them from wear and tear.
- Due to the increase in urbanization in Kenya, the demand for automobiles has been growing.
- According to the Kenya Motor Industry Association (KMI), sales increased by 31.5 percent to 10,044 units in the first nine months of 2021, compared to 7,637 units sold a year before by Isuzu East Africa, Toyota Kenya, and Simba Corporation, with commercial vehicles accounting for the majority of the sales.
- The government of Kenya is in plans to boost the domestic assembly of motor vehicles by providing tax exemptions. This, in turn, is expected to boost the local vehicle assembly operations in Kenya in the coming years.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has led to ceasing of all automobile production units and sales and this has lead to slow growth in the automotive sector.
- Increase in the usage of secondhand cars and various government schemes to encourage the automotive segment in the country, the lubricant market is expected to raise in the forecasted years.
The Kenya lubricant market is consolidated in nature with very few major players occupying a large portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Total Kenya, Vivo Energy (Shell), OLA Energy, Kenol Kobil, and National Oil Corporation of Kenya, among others.
- On Oct 2021, GS Caltex launched Kixx, its leading lubricant brand. Through its affiliate, GS Caltex India Pvt. Ltd, GS Caltex is planning to increase its marketing efforts in African nations such as Angola, Cameroon, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, South Africa, Kenya, Mozambique.
- On Aug 2020, Misr Petroleum to send a third shipment of high-quality motor and industrial oil to Rwanda, as well as to grow its exports to African nations such as Kenya, Sudan, Uganda, and Nigeria, worth EGP 50 million in total.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from Industrial and Construction Segments
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Engine Oil
5.1.2 Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid
5.1.3 Gear Oil
5.1.4 General Industrial Oil
5.1.6 Other Product Types
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Power Generation
5.2.2 Automotive and Other Transportation
5.2.3 Heavy Equipment
5.2.4 Food and Beverage
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Galana Oil Kenya Limited
6.4.3 Kenol Kobil
6.4.4 National Oil Corporation of Kenya
6.4.5 OLA Energy
6.4.6 Oryx Energies
6.4.7 Sepyana Oil EA
6.4.10 Vivo Energy (Shell)
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Kenya Lubricants Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Kenya Lubricants Market?
The Kenya Lubricants Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Kenya Lubricants Market?
Total Kenya, Vivo Energy (Shell) , OLA Energy, Kenol Kobil, National Oil Corporation of Kenya are the major companies operating in Kenya Lubricants Market.