|Study Period:||2015 - 2027|
|Largest Share by Product Type:||Engine Oils|
|Fastest Growing by Product Type:||Transmission & Gear Oils|
The South Africa Passenger Vehicles Lubricants Market stood at 102.02 million liters in 2022 and is projected to register a CAGR of 3.58% to reach 121.66 million liters in 2027.
- Largest Segment by Product Type - Engine Oils : As it is used in enormous amounts and replenished more frequently than other product categories, engine oil is highly popular in SUVs and sedans in South Africa.
- Fastest Segment by Product Type - Transmission & Gear Oils : Transmission oil consumption will likely record the fastest growth in the South African passenger vehicle industry due to an expected rise in automatic car penetration.
Scope of the Report
|By Product Type|
|Transmission & Gear Oils|
Key Market Trends
Largest Segment By Product Type : Engine Oils
- The passenger vehicle (PV) segment is the second-largest segment in terms of automotive lubricant consumption in South Africa. During 2015-2019, PV lubricant consumption recorded a CAGR of 1.83%, primarily due to the surge in the car population of the country.
- In 2020, PVs accounted for about 39% of the total automotive lubricant consumption in the country. Engine oil accounted for the largest share in PV lubricant consumption, with a share of over 85% during the year. During 2020, PV lubricants consumption declined by 2.87% due to the lower usage of the vehicle fleet post the COVID-19 outbreak.
- During 2021-2026, the transmission oils segment is projected to grow at a steady rate, exhibiting a CAGR of 5.5%. This growth is likely to be driven by the rise in sales of passenger cars (both new and used) and recovery in average distance traveled in the country.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The South Africa Passenger Vehicles Lubricants Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 72.16%. The major players in this market are Astron Energy Pty Ltd, BP PLC (Castrol), Engen Petroleum Ltd, Royal Dutch Shell Plc and TotalEnergies (sorted alphabetically).
- September 2021: Engen has made a ground-breaking development by launching its Engen App for the convenience of its customers. Engen will offer all its products and services through this app, making it easier for the consumers. This is expected to increase the sales of its lubricants and gain brand recognition in the region.
- July 2021: Engine expanded its horizon in Botswana by opening five new service stations in the region. The company currently operates 64 service stations and 43 quick shop convenience stores across Botswana and plans to sell its lubricants through its service station networks to its end consumers. The company has distributed around 2.2 million liters of lubricants through its distribution network in Bostwana.
- June 2021: Petronas is planning to exit the South African fuel retailer Engen.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary & Key Findings
2.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
2.2 Scope of the Study
2.3 Research Methodology
3. Key Industry Trends
3.1 Automotive Industry Trends
3.2 Regulatory Framework
3.3 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Product Type
4.1.1 Engine Oils
4.1.3 Hydraulic Fluids
4.1.4 Transmission & Gear Oils
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Key Strategic Moves
5.2 Market Share Analysis
5.3 Company Profiles
5.3.1 Astron Energy Pty Ltd
5.3.2 BP PLC (Castrol)
5.3.3 Engen Petroleum Ltd
5.3.4 ExxonMobil Corporation
5.3.6 Puma Energy
5.3.8 Royal Dutch Shell Plc
6.1 Appendix-1 References
6.2 Appendix-2 List of Tables & Figures
7. Key Strategic Questions for Lubricants CEOs
List of Tables & Figures
PASSENGER VEHICLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, SOUTH AFRICA, 2015 - 2026
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, ENGINE OILS, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, ENGINE OILS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, GREASES, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, GREASES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, HYDRAULIC FLUIDS, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, HYDRAULIC FLUIDS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, TRANSMISSION & GEAR OILS, 2015-2026
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, TRANSMISSION & GEAR OILS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY VEHICLE TYPE, 2020
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, MOST ACTIVE COMPANIES, BY NUMBER OF STRATEGIC MOVES, 2018 - 2021
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET, MOST ADOPTED STRATEGIES, 2018 - 2021
SOUTH AFRICA PASSENGER VEHICLES LUBRICANTS MARKET SHARE(%), BY MAJOR PLAYERS, 2020
- Vehicle Types - Passenger Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles and Motorcycles are the vehicle types considered under the automotive lubricants market.
- Product Types - For the purpose of this study, lubricant products such as engine oils, transmission oils, greases and hydraulic fluids are taken into consideration.
- Service Refill - Service refill is the primary factor considered while accounting the lubricant consumption for each of the vehicle segments, under the study.
- Factory Fill - First lubricant fill-ups for newly produced vehicles are considered.
Mordor Intelligence follows a four-step methodology in all our reports.
- Step-1: Identify Key Variables: The quantifiable key variables (industry and extraneous) pertaining to the specific product segment and country are selected from a group of relevant variables & factors based on desk research & literature review; along with primary expert inputs. These variables are further confirmed through regression modeling (wherever required).
- Step-2: Build a Market Model: In order to build a robust forecasting methodology, the variables and factors identified in Step-1 are tested against available historical market numbers. Through an iterative process, the variables required for market forecast are set and the model is built on the basis of these variables.
- Step-3: Validate and Finalize: In this important step, all market numbers, variables and analyst calls are validated through an extensive network of primary research experts from the market studied. The respondents are selected across levels and functions to generate a holistic picture of the market studied.
- Step-4: Research Outputs: Syndicated Reports, Custom Consulting Assignments, Databases & Subscription Platforms