Snus Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Snus Market Analysis
The snus market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.75% during the forecast period.
- Snus is a smokeless tobacco product gaining significant popularity as a convenient alternative to cigarettes. Stringent government rules and regulations regarding smoking and environmental contamination are propelling the demand for snus among consumers across the globe. In major developed countries like the United States, the efforts of governments to reduce smoking by granting permission for the usage of tobacco and nicotine alternatives are further increasing the adoption of snus globally.
- The rising popularity of snus due to the ease of the application it provides to its users is a significant factor driving the market. The ease with which the product can be used anywhere, as compared to cigarettes, which cannot be smoked in public or no-smoking zones due to the negative impacts of combustion, has played an essential role in promoting snus use. The product's low risk of gastrointestinal, lung, and pancreatic cancers and respiratory disorders is a significant reason for its popularity among nicotine addicts. Thus, these factors are expected to support the demand for snus in the global market.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative impact on the global snus market. Smokers are much more vulnerable to the infection because consuming any tobacco or snus product brings fingers into contact with lips, increasing the possibility of virus transmission from hand to mouth. Thus, it indirectly put tobacco users at risk of being affected by COVID-19, restricting the market growth.
Snus Industry Segmentation
Snus is a moist, smokeless, finely ground tobacco product marketed as a less harmful alternative to smoking.
The market studied is segmented by product type, distribution channel, and geography. Based on product type, the market studied is segmented into loose snus and portion snus. Based on distribution channels, the market studied is segmented into tobacco stores, convenience stores, online retail stores, and other distribution channels. Based on geography, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Middle East and Africa.
The report offers market size and forecasts for the snus product market in value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Product Type|
|By Distribution Channel|
|Online Retail Stores|
|Other Distribution Channels|
Snus Market Trends
Increase in the Adoption of Snus Among the Young Generation
- The rapid rise in snus among today's youth can be attributed to aggressive public awareness campaigns about the negative impacts of smoking and the less harmful effects of consuming snus. The development of snus boxes with new colors, new designs, and flavors such as menthol, licorice, and vanilla that "appeal to young people" by the snus industry led to an increase in snus use among teenagers. Therefore, the development of new flavors such as fruits, eucalyptus, mint, berries, citrus, cedar, bergamot, hay, smoky, dry fruit, spices, hay, and tea will aid in boosting product demand in the coming years.
- One of the main factors in tobacco and cigarette addicts switching to the product is the low incidence of lung, pancreatic, and oral cancers and respiratory illnesses linked to its use. Unlike other kinds of smokeless tobacco, which are fermented during production, snus is made by steam pasteurizing the tobacco. This prevents the development of microbes that produce tobacco-specific nitrosamines, frequently present in other smokeless tobacco products and are known to cause cancer. This factor is expected to boost product demand during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America Remains the Largest Market
- North America remains the largest growing market for snus. The demand for snus is driven by the fact that it is less harmful than cigarette smoking. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the United States has also authorized the sale of snus products. However, it does not allow the company to claim that it is less harmful than other tobacco products.
- The rise of e-commerce was an industry trend that contributed to the snus market in European countries, owing to the relatively young consumer demographic more accustomed to e-commerce. Online retailers are offering lower prices than traditional retailers, as well as extensive product selection, which further intensifies the growth of the snus market in the European regions.
- Consumers can even buy Swedish snus online, further intensifying the snus market growth across North America. The sale of snus is prohibited across the European Union except in Sweden, thereby registering low market growth across Europe.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Snus Industry Overview
The snus market is highly competitive, with the strong presence of global and regional players in the market. In the market studied, well-established companies with a known brand attached to their business profile have a higher penetration across retail shelves, primarily because of business expansion and a higher share of consumer preference across both developed and developing markets.
With a huge presence and wide distribution networks, key players such as Swedish Match AB, Imperial Brand, Altria Group Inc., and JT International AG hold prominent shares in the global snus market. Furthermore, tobacco companies have always seen innovation and new product development (NPD) as a way of boosting brand performance, keeping existing customers loyal, and attracting new ones. Owing to this factor, companies worldwide have steadily diversified into alternative tobacco and nicotine products, including smokeless tobacco called Swedish-style snus.
Snus Market Leaders
Swedish Match AB
Altria Group, Inc.
Japan Tobacco Inc.
Imperial Brands plc
GN Tobacco Sweden AB
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Snus Market News
- January 2023: Cannadips Europe, a SpectrunLeaf brand offering premium CBD products in the European market, partnered with Snushus AG to launch all-natural CBD snus pouches and to offer the core collection in-store.
- May 2021: Phillip Morris International acquired Danish-based snus manufacturer AG Snus Aktieselskab and its range of snus brands. This integration with Phillip Morris International provides an opportunity to strengthen the long-term growth of AG Snus significantly.
Snus Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.1 Loose Snus
5.1.2 Portion Snus
5.2 By Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Tobacco Stores
5.2.2 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Online Retail Stores
5.2.4 Other Distribution Channels
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East & Africa
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East & Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Swedish Match AB
6.3.2 Altria Group Inc.
6.3.3 JT International AG
6.3.4 Imperial Brands
6.3.5 GN Tobacco Sweden AB
6.3.6 British American Tobacco
6.3.7 Dholakia Tobacco Pvt. Ltd
6.3.8 Mac Baren
6.3.9 Kurbits Snus
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
8. ABOUT US
Snus Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Snus Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Snus Market?
The Snus Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.75% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Snus Market?
Swedish Match AB, Altria Group, Inc., Japan Tobacco Inc., Imperial Brands plc, GN Tobacco Sweden AB are the major companies operating in Snus Market.
Snus Industry Report
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Snus Market sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Snus Market research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Snus Market report PDF.