|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Saudi Arabian Pharmaceutical Packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.45% over the forecast period. Pharmaceutical packaging primarily refers to items designed for transporting and storing drugs and is made of appropriate materials. Based on the nature of the medicine, packaging materials are chosen from various material types and product types to provide protection, identity, and integrity for the contained drug product.
- Saudi Arabia is the largest economy in the Middle Eastern region by GDP and population. Saudi Arabia has the largest pharmaceuticals market in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) region. According to OECD, the forecast predicts that in 2030, pharmaceutical spending in Saudi Arabia would reach approximately USD 22,782 million.
- Saudi Arabia is widely well-known as a pharma manufacturing hub in the Middle East. With many domestic and international vendors setting up businesses with local generic manufacturers, there is a scope for robust, secure, organic growth, which is expected to drive demand for packaging.
- The pharmaceutical industry has developed significantly due to numerous circumstances, including Saudi regulatory norm expansion and an emphasis on population health management and invention. Furthermore, rising demand for over-the-counter medications and a more knowledgeable client base are boosting market expansion.
- However, substantial obstacles such as financial limits, a lack of expertise, outdated equipment, a shortage of competent personnel, and an understanding of fundamental healthcare processes limit access to healthcare services. The volatility of raw material costs and stringent regulatory norms and requirements may also hamper the pharmaceutical packaging market. Environmental issues about pharmaceutical packaging raw materials limit business expansion.
- Moreover, with the outbreak of the COVID-19, the Saudi Arabian pharmaceutical packaging market is witnessing growth as the demand for pharmaceutical products, such as sanitizers and medicines, is increasing, driving the studied market. The need for pharmaceutical packaging in Saudi Arabia is predicted to rise over the next two to three years due to the availability of the COVID-19 vaccine. Various suppliers increase their capacity to satisfy the increased demand.
Scope of the Report
Pharmaceutical packaging is used for the packing of pharmaceutical products to secure them from any external harmful toxins and rays. With the rising population and the increasing workforce, the increase in per capita spending on healthcare services is also growing in the region. Thus, the busy schedule and changing lifestyle would lead to increasing consumers’ adoption of easy-to-swallow medicines, leading to the growth in demand for the powdered and liquid forms of medicine. This would create a demand for different packaging types, such as pouches and sachets. In return, it would also act as a catalyst for the Saudi Arabian pharmaceutical packaging market.
The Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market is segmented by Material (Plastic, Paper and Paperboard, Glass, and Aluminium Foil) and Type (Bottles, Ampoules, Caps and Closures, Cartridges, IV (Intravenous) Bags, Canisters, Medication Tubes, Vials, Syringes, Strip and Blister Packs, Pouches, and Sachets). The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value in USD million for all the above segments.
The market sizes and forecasts are provided in terms of value in USD million for all the above segments.
|Paper and Paperboard|
|Caps and Closures|
|IV (Intravenous) Bags|
|Strip and Blister Packs|
Key Market Trends
Growing Health Concerns in the Country Drives the Market Growth
- Growing health concerns and investment in the medical sector of Saudi Arabia are boosting the pharmaceutical packaging market in the country. For example, in June 2022, Saudi Arabia invested USD 3.4 billion in the vaccine and biomedical drug sectors. According to the state news agency SPA, Saudi Arabia's industry and Mineral Resources minister said the country would invest USD 3.4 billion in the immunization and biomedical drugs sector. The move is part of the Kingdom's push toward achieving pharmaceutical security and making Saudi Arabia a more prominent hub for the industry.
- The opportunities would achieve the Kingdom's pharmaceutical and health security goals and make Saudi Arabia an important center for this promising industry. Saudi Arabia is one of the most attractive markets in the Middle East for multinational corporations. Diversification plans in the Kingdom bode well for local and regional businesses, with 'Vision 2030' encouraging the expansion of manufacturing agreements in the country. Multinational corporations are very interested. Key draws include the market's share size, demand sophistication, and favorable epidemiological trends. Given the need to meet the rising demand for established generic treatments, local players would also find a fertile commercial base.
- Saudi Arabia has taken significant steps toward implementing its Vision 2030 healthcare reforms to enhance healthcare effectiveness and quality. Despite this, Saudi Arabia's pharmaceutical environment is unlikely to see significant changes due to ongoing challenges concerning patent approval for foreign drugmakers, a discriminatory procurement system, and flawed pricing policies.
- Saudi Arabia's Vision 2030 has defined healthcare as one of its key pillars for development and has set the goals and strategy for improved healthcare access and quality. Building a world-class infrastructure is crucial. The government has turned to the private sector to achieve this with a USD 66 billion investment, making Saudi Arabia the most promising healthcare market in the Middle East. According to the OECD forecast, it was predicted that between 2017 and 2030, the pharmaceutical sector worldwide would grow by 160%, with a significant growth forecast for Saudi Arabia at 232%.
- Saudi Arabia's Vision 2030 and National Transformation Plan would encourage the expansion of domestic pharmaceutical manufacturing in the Kingdom. This would reduce the reliance on imported generic medicines while providing opportunities for exports to neighboring import-reliant states.
- To expand the pharmaceutical sector in the country, the government is taking various initiatives, which have led to the high demand for the market. The GCC countries also aim to develop their domestic manufacturing capabilities to reduce their import dependency. GCC regulations stipulate that producers in member states are not required to obtain registration or licenses to export to Saudi Arabia; regional producers are effectively given preferential treatment for entry into the Saudi market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Bottles Type Pharmaceutical Packaging is Expected to Hold Major Market Share
- The bottles segment of the pharmaceutical packaging market accounts for a major share in terms of packaging type. This is due to the increased applications of plastics and glass in both solid and liquid oral medications, as bottles provide safety, convenience, and security.
- Glass containers are one of the primary packaging materials used in the pharmaceutical industry. The major reason for glass to hold the majority share in terms of adoption rate is that glass is an inorganic material made up of substances that prevent drug interactions. Moreover, increasing regulatory pressure and stringent standards for patient safety, coupled with the implementation of extra measures to reduce the risk of drug interaction, are also driving the market growth. Glass containers are classified into Type I, Type II, Type III, and Type IV glass, based on the degree of chemical/hydrolytic resistance to a water attack.
- Plastic bottle packaging is expected to witness significant growth because of its lightweight and easy-to-handle characteristics, making it easy to carry and doesn’t break as easily as glass bottles. Plastics also have a greater aesthetic value and a barrier against moisture and air. These characteristics of plastic bottles are expected to boost the market growth in Saudi Arabia.
- Plastics are compatible with many formulations as well. Since plastic containers may be in direct contact with pharmaceutical formulations, they are usually made of materials that do not contain any substance that can alter the efficiency or stability of the formulation or present a risk of toxicity.
- However, the Saudi Standards, Metrology, and Quality Organization (SASO) announced new rules for plastic products in Saudi Arabia. The plastic needs to be OXO-biodegradable, and the plastic products entering the country have to be mandatorily registered and approved with SASO for industrial or commercial uses. Hence, different government regulations are expected to hinder the growth of plastic bottles in the country, further affecting the overall bottle packaging in the Saudi Arabian pharmaceutical industry.
The Saudi Arabian pharmaceutical packaging market is moderately fragmented, with the presence of major players like CCL Industries, Napco Group, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Rexam PLC (Ball Corporation), and Sealed Air, among others. Players in the market are adopting strategies such as partnerships and acquisitions to enhance their product offerings and gain sustainable competitive advantage.
In October 2022, Aptar CSP Technologies' announced Activ-Vial solutions portfolio includes the latest PCR active bottles. The company's 3-Phase Activ-Polymer platform technology and the rest of the active packaging portfolio are fully integrated into the bottle to create a microclimate to protect against moisture and other environmental conditions. In contrast to standard packaging methods, the technique co-molds specially tailored active particles into the container, scavenging moisture before it reaches the contents.
Becton, Dickinson and Company
Rexam PLC (Ball Corporation)
Sealed Air Saudi Arabia
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
- Mar 2022: SABIC entered a partnership with Polivouga to launch the new TRUCIRCLE project that was designed to reuse plastic waste recovered from areas up to 50 km inland from the waterways.
- Jan 2022: The Saudi Deputy Minister of Industry and Mineral Resources stated that the forum is an important step forward in enhancing Saudi Arabia's industrial position at national and international levels in the plastic industry. The investment totaled SAR 35 billion, and over 1,300 factories.
Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the Saudi Arabian Pharmaceutical Packaging Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Health Concerns in the Country
5.1.2 Technological Advancements to Contribute to the Growth of Pharmaceutical Packaging
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Environmental Concerns Related to Pharmaceutical Packaging of Raw Materials
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1.2 Paper and Paperboard
6.1.4 Aluminum Foil
6.1.5 Other Materials
6.2.3 Caps and Closures
6.2.5 IV (Intravenous) Bags
6.2.7 Medication Tubes
6.2.10 Strip and Blister Packs
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles*
7.1.1 CCL Industries
7.1.2 Napco Group
7.1.3 Becton, Dickinson and Company
7.1.4 Rexam PLC (Ball Corporation)
7.1.5 Sealed Air Saudi Arabia
7.1.6 Salman Group (Noor Carton & Packaging Industry)
7.1.7 Jabil Inc.
7.1.8 Aptar Group
7.1.9 Amber Packaging Industries LLC
8. MARKET OUTLOOK
Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market?
The Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 4.45% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market?
CCL Industries, Napco Group, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Rexam PLC (Ball Corporation), Sealed Air Saudi Arabia are the major companies operating in Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Market.
Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Saudi Arabia Pharmaceutical Packaging report PDF.