|Fastest Growing Market:||Middle-East and Africa|
|Largest Market:||Middle-East and Africa|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global barite market is likely to grow with a CAGR of over 4%, during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. However, the market recovered significantly in 2021, owing to rising consumption from various end-user industries such as oil and gas, chemicals, rubber, and others.
- Over the long term, the major factors driving the barite market are the growing demand from oil and gas drilling activities and its growing usage in the plastics industry across the globe.
- However, the presence of close substitutes, such as celestite and iron ore, is restraining the growth of the barite market.
- Nevertheless, studies revealing the combination of barite with iodine to help block radiation in diagnostic tests may act as an opportunity for the barite market in the medical sector.
- Middle-East and Africa is forecast to be the largest market for barite, owing to the growing oil and gas industry where barite plays a very crucial role.
Scope of the Report
Barite is a mineral consisting of barium sulfate, typically occurring as colorless prismatic crystals or thin white flakes. Barite is usually used as an additive in drilling mud, as barite increases the hydrostatic pressure, allowing it to compensate for high-pressure zones experienced during the drilling. The market is segmented by type of deposit, end-user industry, and geography. By type of deposit, the market is segmented into vein, residual, bedded, and other types of deposit. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into oil and gas, chemical, rubber, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the barite market in 14 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
|Type of Deposit|
|Other Types of Deposit|
|Oil and Gas|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
High Demand from the Oil and Gas Industry
- Barite has huge demand in oil and gas drilling operations as a weighing agent in the drilling mud. It prevents the explosive release of oil and gas during drilling, and it has unique physical and chemical properties such as high specific gravity, chemical and physical inertness, low solubility, and magnetic neutrality.
- About 80% of the global demand is from the petroleum industry. The worldwide demand for barite would continue till petroleum products are preferred as the chief source of energy, given their importance in the transportation and industrial end-use sectors.
- The properties like non-corrosiveness, non-abrasiveness, insolubility in water, inertness, and high specific gravity enable barite’s application as a weighting agent in drilling operations to remove the cutting from the bits, transport cutting to the surface to reduce the friction in the drilling string, control pressure, prevent blow-out and at the same time to provide lubrication.
- The prospectus for the future growth of the petroleum industry suggests that petroleum exploration will continue to grow and simultaneously the consumption of barite. Furthermore, more drilling must be done per unit of oil as hydrocarbon discoveries become less productive with time.
- According to bp statistical review of world energy report 2022, global oil production increased by 1.4 million barrels/day in 2021.
- Also, as per International Energy Agency, global oil demand in 2022 was estimated to 1.7 million barrels/day, reaching 99.2 million barrels/day. A further 2.1 million barrels/day gain is expected in 2023, led by a strong growth trajectory in non-OECD countries.
- Hence, the rising demand for barite from the oil and gas industry globally is expected to drive market growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Middle-East and Africa Region to Dominate the Market
- The Middle-East has the largest market share in the barite market owing to its dominance of over 30% in global oil production. This is due to the presence of some leading oil-producing nations of the world in this region, like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates.
- It was estimated that among OPEC’s total oil reserves, the majority was held by the Middle Eastern nations. The proven oil reserves of this region were valued at about 113.2 billion metric tons.
- According to a bp statistical review of world energy, as of 2021, the Middle East produces one-third of the world’s total oil production, which was estimated to be around 1,315.8 million tons, in 2021, indicating a growth in demand for barite.
- Saudi Arabia's oil production in 2021 accounted for 10,954 thousand of barrels per day, registering for 12.2% of the global output, making it the largest oil producer globally.
- Further, the oil production of Iran, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates in 2021 accounted for 3,620, 2,741, and 3,668 thousand barrels per day respectively. This is likely to fuel the production from the oil and gas industries of the Middle Eastern countries, which is expected to increase the consumption of barite in this region.
- Hence, with the rising demand from various industries, the demand for barite is expected to grow considerably in the Middle East & African region over the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The barite market is partially consolidated. Some of the key companies in the market (not in particular order) include Sachtleben Minerals GmbH & Co. KG, MILWHITE, INC., Cimbar Performance Minerals, New Riverside Ochre, and Newpark Resources Inc.
- In April 2021, CIMBAR Performance Minerals Inc. has planned to increase barite production at an additional site in Corpus Christi, Texas. The site was formally owned by Baker Hughes and will produce drilling-grade barite.
- In March 2021, CIMBAR Performance Minerals, Inc. has entered into an agreement with TOR Minerals International, Inc. to purchase TOR’s Barite and Alumina Trihydrate manufacturing assets located at the Corpus Christi, Texas facility along with the associated business.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rapidly Increasing Demand from the Oil and Gas Industry
4.1.2 Growing Use in the Plastic Industry
4.2.1 Availability of Close Substitutes
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Type of Deposit
5.1.4 Other Types of Deposit
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Oil and Gas
5.2.4 Other End-user Industries
18.104.22.168 ASEAN Countries
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 NORDIC Countries
220.127.116.11 Other CIS Countries
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 United Arab Emirates
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Andhra Pradesh Mineral Development Corporation Ltd
6.4.2 Anglo Pacific Minerals Ltd
6.4.3 ALCOR MINERALS
6.4.4 Cimbar Performance Minerals
6.4.5 DESKU GROUP INC.
6.4.6 Halliburton Energy Services Inc.
6.4.7 International Earth Products LLC
6.4.8 Kaomin Industries LLP
6.4.9 MILWHITE, INC.
6.4.10 Newpark Resources Inc.
6.4.11 New Riverside Ochre
6.4.12 Pands Group
6.4.14 PVS Global Trade Pvt Ltd
6.4.15 Sachtleben Minerals GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.16 Schlumberger Limited
6.4.17 Sojitz Corporation
6.4.18 Spectrum Chemical Manufacturing Corp.
6.4.19 The Cary Company
6.4.20 The Kish Company Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Studies Revealing the Combination of Barite with Iodine to Help Block Radiation in Diagnostic Tests
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Barite Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Barite Market ?
The Barite Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Barite Market ?
Middle-East and Africa is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Barite Market ?
Middle-East and Africa holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Barite Market ?
Sachtleben Minerals GmbH & Co. KG, Cimbar Performance Minerals, New Riverside Ochre, Newpark Resources Inc., MILWHITE, INC. are the major companies operating in Barite Market .