|Study Period:||2018- 2026|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Romania wind energy market is expected to grow at a CAGR of greater than 2.5% during the forecast period. The country's renewable energy sector was severely affected due to the COVID-9 pandemic, in terms of supply chain disruptions and project delays. The country has already reached its 2020 target of renewables, due to which new investments are likely to decrease till 2021. Although, Romanian’s wind potential is the highest in Southeast Europe with the Dobrogea region being the second-highest wind potential area on the continent. The market is expected to witness significant demographic and economic growth, leading to an increase in energy demand. Factors like increasing demand for renewable energy, rising investments in wind farms, efforts to reduce the reliance on fossil fuel-based power generation, government policies, and declining cost of wind energy are expected to drive the wind energy market in the country. However, the increasing adoption of alternate clean power sources such as solar and the availability of fossil fuels are likely to restrain the growth of the wind energy market in the coming years.
- As of 2020, the country's wind energy sector is dominated by onshore wind farms, while the offshore projects are still under planning stages. This, in turn, indicates that onshore segment is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period as well.
- According to a study, as of 2019, Romania's exclusive economic zone has a total potential of 76 GW offshore wind power, including 22 GW in the shallow water area that offers higher profitability for such investments. The deep-water area, where floating wind farms can be installed, accounts for about 54MW potential wind power capacity. Such a huge potential for offshore wind energy is expected to create significant opportunities for the players involved in the market in the near future.
- On the other hand, increasing acceptance of other alternative clean energy sources like solar and bioenergy are likely to restrain the growth of wind energy during forecast period.
Scope of the report
The Romania wind energy market report includes:
Key Market Trends
Onshore Wind Energy to Dominate the Market
- As of 2020, the total wind energy installed capacity in Romania came from onshore wind farms. Wind energy production has been growing in Romania over the past decade. Romania's wind energy sector is the second-largest source of renewable energy, in Romania, after hydropower.
- Wind energy provided about 12% of Romania’s electricity in 2020. As of 2020, the installed capacity of onshore wind energy in Romania is 3029 MW. The share of wind and other renewables in Romania’s electricity generation mix is expected to rise by 35% by 2030.
- In 2020, Romanian power company Hidroelectrica announced its plans to build 600 MW of wind power capacity by 2026, including a 300 MW offshore wind farm that would be the first ever to be built in the Black Sea.
- The largest onshore wind farm in Europe is in Dobrogea, in Fântânele and Cogealac, having an installed power of 600 MW.
- Although the wind energy installed capacity remained constant since the past few years, upcoming wind energy projects and plans to increase the renewable energy share in the country's power generation mix are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Competition from Alternative Energy Sources
- For a long time, wind and hydropower power has been the main renewable energy resources, not only globally but also in Romania. But this scenario has begun changing fast with the growth of solar energy and bioenergy.
- Both solar energy and bioenergy have grown significantly in Romania in recent years. The country’s solar potential is widespread throughout the country and benefits from about 210 sunny days per year.
- The southeastern region of Romania, the west, the center, and the east of the country are the best places to install a solar park. Solar energy capacity in the country has increased from 1 MW in 2009 to 1386 MW in 2019, while bioenergy capacity had grown from 16 MW in 2009 to 142 MW in 2019.
- Solar energy has witnessed substantial growth in Romania in recent years, mainly driven by decreasing prices of solar panels, favorable government policies, and their capability to be installed in small-scale for households and commercial centers.
- The solar power sector in the country has been growing faster than the wind power sector during the last decade and is expected to maintain its dominance in terms of growth during the forecast period, supported by favorable government policies and rising small-scale as well as large-scale usage.
The Romania wind energy market is moderately consolidated. Some of the key players in this market include CEZ Romania S.A., Enel Green Power SpA, EDP Renovaveis SA., VERBUND AG, and Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, S.A.
- In May 2020, Romanian state-owned power company Hidroelectrica proposed to approve RON 26.04 billion investment program spanning until 2037. over RON 17 billion is expected to be allocated for new power generation facilities using wind, solar, and biomass energy sources.
- In February 2021, Romania's competition authority approved the agreed takeover of the 108 MW Crucea wind farm by the majority state-owned hydropower producer Hidroelectrica.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Installed Capacity and Forecast, in MW, till 2026
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION - LOCATION OF DEPLOYMENT (QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS ONLY)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 CEZ Romania S.A.
6.3.2 Enel Green Power SpA
6.3.3 VERBUND AG
6.3.4 Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, S.A
6.3.5 EDP Renovaveis SA
6.3.6 NERO Renewables Romania SR
6.3.7 China Ming Yang Wind Power Group Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Romania Wind Energy Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Romania Wind Energy Market?
The Romania Wind Energy Market is growing at a CAGR of >2.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Romania Wind Energy Market?
CEZ Romania S.A. , Enel Green Power SpA , EDP Renovaveis SA , VERBUND AG, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, S.A are the major companies operating in Romania Wind Energy Market.