|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The premium motorcycle helmets market was valued at USD 749.26 million in 2021, and it is expected to reach USD 1,112.72 million by 2027, and it is anticipated to register a CAGR of 6.81% during the forecast period (2022 - 2027).
The market was negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. The premium motorcycle helmets are for a limited customer base due to their high cost and association with the premium motorcycle users. The purchasing power of people is affected due to the world economic slowdown. The global pandemic has resulted in low sales of premium motorcycles across the world, which led to a decline in premium motorcycle helmet sales. However, after the gradual opening of economies and ease in lockdown measures, the demand for motorcycles is picking up because of the change in consumer preference, as people are avoiding public transport, and the developing nations in the region have preferred motorcycles over other automobiles.
Few factors have helped in throttling the growth of the market, such as rising awareness of enhanced comfort and safety in consumers, the heightened popularity of owning a sports bike, and bespoke modifications in the aftermarket among the millennials, which also boosted the sales of premium helmets. An increase in the sales of premium motorcycles, especially in the Asia-Pacific region, and the end users’ preference and awareness toward enhanced safety and comfort offered by premium helmets are some of the factors driving the growth of the market.
- The demand for premium motorcycles experienced a significant slump from the motorcycle dealerships, which resulted in a fall in premium motorcycle helmets compared to multi-brand and authorized retailer channels. For instance, Harley-Davidson, a leading premium motorcycle brand, encountered a 4.29% drop in sales worldwide in FY 2020 compared to the previous year.
- However, a few factors have helped in throttling the growth of the market, such as rising awareness of enhanced comfort and safety in consumers, the heightened popularity of owning a sports bike, and bespoke modifications in the aftermarket among the millennials, which also boosted the sales of premium helmets.
- Other trends collectively contributing to consistent market growth include the introduction of multi-functional smart helmets, ongoing racing events, and the rising number of clubs and communities of bikers acting as a platform.
Scope of the Report
Premium motorcycle helmets have superior-quality materials, such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, plastics, and synthetic fibers that provide high tensile strength and enhanced security.
These helmets have high safety standards when compared to other regular helmets. The premium motorcycle helmets market is segmented by material type, distribution channel, end user, and geography. By material type, the market is segmented into fiberglass, carbon fiber, and plastics. By distribution channel, the market is segmented into offline (motorcycle showroom, helmet manufacturing showroom, and aftermarket) and online. By end user, the market is segmented into commuters and racers.
The report also covers market sizes and forecasts for Premium Motorcycle Helmets in 4 different regions. For each segment, market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (USD million).
|By Material Type|
|By End User|
|By Distribution Channel|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Safety Regulations Driving the Demand for Premium Helmets
According to the UNECE study on road accidents, motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to die in a traffic crash than drivers of passenger cars. Wearing an appropriate helmet improves their chances of survival by 42% and helps avoid 69% of injuries to riders.
A motorcycle crash may result in head injuries, through either direct contact with hard objects or as a result of excessive acceleration-deceleration. Most traumatic brain concussions are the result of closed head injuries when there is no open wound. The motorcycle helmet is designed to minimize the risks of all kinds of head injuries. Helmet standards and regulations have been developed to test the effectiveness of helmets in providing protection.
The motorcycle helmet safety regulators are involved in updating the safety standards for helmet manufacturers so that they are bound to provide the safest helmets to their customers and avoid any head injuries. The last three years have been much favorable for the growth of the market. Regional governments' initiatives have predominately elevated the safety standards, which proved favorable for the helmet business. For instance,
- The Government of India announced that there is a need for a superior and safer safety standard for helmets and may soon have another standard for helmets. The new standard of the helmet is expected to cater to the superior quality headgear, which is meant for high-speed riding.
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) removed the weight limit of 1.2 kg for two-wheeler helmets, which previously prevented the sales of imported helmets in the country. This is likely to allow several premium helmet brands to market and distribute the latest premium helmets in the country.
- The European standard for motorcycle helmet safety, ECE 22.05 test regime, got a major update, the first in over 20 years. The upcoming standard, called the ECE 22.06, may be implemented to keep up with the latest technology and research. The ECE 22.06 regulations may come into effect from June 2023, and manufacturers, retailers, and distributors may be able to sell the old ECE 22.05 regulation products till then. After June 2023, it is likely to become illegal to sell helmets, visors, and accessories that do not comply with the ECE 22.06 regulations. The main difference in the new regulations may impact the testing of helmets. The test is likely to be carried out at different speeds and at more points across the helmet's shell.
With the increasing cruising activities, like traveling using motorcycles to tourist spots and adventure rides, consumers are shifting their preference to premium quality helmets, as these offer higher safety and lower risk of head injuries during tours. With the factors mentioned above, it is expected that the demand for premium motorcycle helmets may grow during the foreseeable future.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected to be the Fastest Growing Market
North America is the largest market worldwide because of the continuous rise in motorcycle sales. However, the Asia-Pacific region is poised to be the fastest-growing market during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific motorcycle sales have been driven by South Asia countries, including ASEAN and India after China. These regions have been prime contributors to the demand owing to widely spread production units of key motorcycle manufacturers.
- In China, the demand for motorcycles remained highly impressive during FY21. In addition, domestic motorcycles sales, which include mopeds, underbone, scooters, motorcycles, tricycles, and ATVs, have amounted to around 19.5 million, with an impressive growth rate of 9.2%. Further, Yadea has also confirmed its leadership in the Chinese domestic motorcycles market while Haojuetops the exports. Thus, with increasing sales of motorcycles in China, the demand for premium motorcycle helmets shall increase on similar lines during the forecast period.
- Government regulations on safety standards vehicle driving safety maintain a strong demand for sales of premium motorcycle helmets in Asia-pacific. Being a region with maximum consumer for motorcycle, the region remains most lucrative from a long-term demand perspective.
With the gradual opening of economies and ease in lockdown measures, the demand for motorcycles is picking up because of the change in consumer preference, as people are avoiding public transport, and the developing nations in the region have preferred motorcycles over other automobiles.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Major players in the premium motorcycle helmets market are AGV (Subsidiary of Dainese), Shoei Co. Ltd, HJC Helmets, Bell Helmets, Arai Helmet Ltd, and Schuberth GmbH. As the demand is increasing, the companies have been launching new products and investing more in R&D projects for future growth. For instance,
- In 2020, Arai Helmet Ltd showcased its Quantic collection for 2021, which is comfortable for high-speed and long rides. It features a one-piece rear exhaust with spoiler function and also speaker pockets. Arai helmet Ltd announced the plan to get the ECE R22-06 approval.
The companies have also been making partnerships to deliver more advanced products. For instance, ARAI Helmets renewed its partnership with American Flat Track during the early quarter of 2020. With this development, the company has allied with AFT for the second consecutive year.
- In October 2021, HJC premium helmet manufacturer announced that the company is working with Red Bull Racing for the launch of the first ever Red Bull licensed helmets for its consumer base. Company forefront partnership with Red Bull helped it to design a very special helmet, i.e., RPHA 1 Red Bull Austin GP helmet.
- In October 2021, Royal Enfield launched a new range of its limited-edition helmets amid the celebration of its 120th anniversary. The helmet is open face helmet that weighs around 1,280 grams approximately. Furthermore, it is launched with a face-covering bubble visor and premium leather material treated with polygiene.
- In December 2021, Vega, a Belgaum-based manufacturer from India, announced its partnership with BASF for the production of lightweight, comfortable and safe motorcycle helmets. Under this partnership, Vega engages in BASF's material innovation solution to install the best material in the helmets.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value)
5.1 By Material Type
5.1.1 Fiber Glass
5.1.2 Carbon Fiber
5.2 By End User
5.3 By Distribution Channel
18.104.22.168 Motorcycle Showrooms
22.214.171.124 Helmet Manufacturer Showrooms
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 AGV (Subsidiary of Dainese)
6.2.2 SHOEI Co. Ltd
6.2.3 Scuberth GmbH
6.2.4 Arai Helmet Ltd
6.2.5 HJC Helmets
6.2.6 Shark Helmets
6.2.7 Bell Helmets
6.2.8 Nolan Helmets
6.2.9 Locatelli SpA (Airoh Helmets)
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market market is studied from 2018 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is growing at a CAGR of >6% over the next 5 years.
What is Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market size in 2018?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is valued at 749 Million USD in 2018.
What is Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market size in 2027?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is valued at 1112 Million USD in 2027.
Which region has highest growth rate in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
AGV (Subsidiary of Dainese), Shoei Co. Ltd, Scuberth GmbH, Arai Helmet Ltd, Bell Helmets are the major companies operating in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market.