Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The premium motorcycle helmet market was valued at USD 701.46 million in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 1,046 million by 2026, and is anticipated to register a CAGR of 6.81 % during the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The premium motorcycle helmets are for the limited customer base due to their high cost and association with the premium motorcycle users, the purchasing power of people affected due to world economic slowdown. The global pandemic has resulted in low sales of premium motorcycles across the world, which led to a decline in premium motorcycle helmet sales.
Few factors have helped in throttling the growth of the market, such as rising awareness of enhanced comfort and safety in consumers, the heightened popularity of owning a sports bike, and bespoke modifications in the aftermarket among the millennials, which also boosted the sales of premium helmets. An increase in the sales of premium motorcycles, especially in the Asia-Pacific region, and the end-users’ preference and awareness toward enhanced safety and comfort offered by premium helmets are some of the factors driving the growth of the market.
- The demand for premium motorcycles experienced a significant slump from the motorcycle dealerships, which resulted in a fall in premium motorcycle helmets compared to multi-brand and authorized retailer channels. For instance, Harley-Davidson, a leading premium motorcycle brand, encountered a 4.29% drop in sales, worldwide, in FY 2020 compared to the previous year.
- However, a few factors have helped in throttling the growth of the market, such as rising awareness of enhanced comfort and safety in consumers, the heightened popularity of owning a sports bike, and bespoke modifications in the aftermarket among the millennials, which also boosted the sales of premium helmets.
- Other trends collectively contributing to consistent market growth include the introduction of multi-functional smart helmets, on-going racing events, and the rising number of clubs and communities of bikers acting as a platform.
Scope of the Report
The premium motorcycle helmets have superior-quality materials such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, plastics, and synthetic fibers that provide high tensile strength and enhanced security. These helmets have high safety standards when compared to other regular helmets. The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is segmented by material type, distribution channel, end-user, and geography. By Material Type, the market is segmented into Fiber Glass, Carbon Fiber, and Plastics. By Distribution Channel, the market is segmented into Offline (Motorcycle Showroom, Helmet Manufacturing Showroom, and Aftermarket), and Online. By End-User the market is segmented into Commuters and Racers. The report also covers market sizes and forecasts for Premium Motorcycle Helmets in 4 different regions. For each segment market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of value (USD million)
|By End User|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Safety Regulations Driving The Demand For Premium Helmets
According to the UNECE study on road accidents, motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to die in a traffic crash than drivers of passenger cars. Wearing an appropriate helmet improves their chances of survival by 42% and helps avoid 69% of injuries to riders.
A motorcycle crash may result in head injuries, through either direct contact with hard objects or as a result of excessive acceleration-deceleration. Most traumatic brain concussions are the result of closed head injuries when there is no open wound. The motorcycle helmet is designed to minimize the risks of all kinds of head injuries. Helmet standards and regulations have been developed to test the effectiveness of helmets in providing protection.
The motorcycle helmet safety regulators are involved in updating the safety standards for helmet manufacturers so that they are bound to provide the safest helmets to their customers and avoid any head injuries. For instance,
- In April 2019, the government of India announced that there is a need for a superior and safer safety standard of helmets and may soon have another standard for helmets. The new standard of the helmet is expected to cater to the superior quality headgear, which is meant for high-speed riding.
- In July 2020, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) removed the weight limit of 1.2 kg for two-wheeler helmets, which previously prevented the sales of imported helmets in the country. This is likely to allow several premium helmet brands to market and distribute latest premium helmets in the country.
- In March 2020, the European standard for motorcycle helmet safety, ECE 22.05 test regime, got a major update, the first in over 20 years. The upcoming standard, called the ECE 22.06, may be implemented to keep up with the latest technology and research. The ECE 22.06 regulations may come into effect from June 2023, and manufacturers, retailers, and distributors may be able to sell the old ECE 22.05 regulation products till then. After June 2023, it is likely to become illegal to sell helmets, visors, and accessories that do not comply with the ECE 22.06 regulations. The main difference in the new regulations may impact the testing of helmets. The test is likely to be carried out at different speeds and at more points across the helmet's shell.
With the increasing cruising activities, like traveling using motorcycles to tourist spots and adventure rides, consumers are shifting their preference to premium quality helmets, as these offer higher safety and lower risk of head injuries during tours. With the factors mentioned above, it is expected that the demand for premium motorcycle helmets may grow during the foreseeable future.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected To Be The Fastest Growing Market
North America is the largest market worldwide because of the continuous rise in motorcycle sales. However, the Asia-Pacific region is poised to be the fastest-growing market during the forecasted period.
- In 2019, approximately 17 million motorcycles had been sold in China. A series of bans and limitations on the use of motorcycles in Chinese urban areas has notably affected sales development. However, in 2019, both production and sales exceeded 15 million for a y/y increase of 1 million or more.
- Motorcycle production in India in FY2019 (April 2019 to March 2020) experienced a y/y decrease of 14.1% to 21.04 million vehicles, and sales also greatly dropped by 17.8% to 17.42 million vehicles. In addition to the slowing economy, new equipment to meet emissions standards have led to an increase in vehicle prices, dulling consumer demand. Since March 2020, businesses have been impacted by COVID-19 and forced to shut down; the market studied is expected to remain in a tough position.
While COVID-19 leaves the future uncertain, the gradual opening of economies and ease in lockdown measures the demand for motorcycles are picking up because of the change in consumer preference, as people are avoiding public transport and the developing nations in the region have been preferring motorcycles over other automobiles.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The major players in the premium motorcycle helmets market are AGV (Subsidiary of Dainese), Shoei Co. Ltd, HJC Helmets, Bell Helmets, Arai Helmet Ltd, and Schuberth GmbH. As the demand is increasing, the companies have been launching new products and investing more in R&D projects for future growth. For instance,
- In 2020, Arai Helmet Ltd showcased their Quantic collection for 2021 which is comfortable for high-speed and long rides. It features a one-piece rear exhaust with spoiler function and also speaker pockets. Arai helmet Ltd announced the plan to get it ECE R22-06 approved.
- In April 2019, Arai launched new open-face helmets, RAM-X. The original product has a VAS-Z shield system, with a lower pivot point that allows the shell to be smoother in the temple area, improving the helmet’s ability to slide more smoothly.
The companies have also been making partnerships to deliver more advanced products. For instance, ARAI Helmets renewed its partnership with American Flat Track for 2019. With this development, the company has allied with AFT for the second consecutive year.
- In March 2020, KLIM, a US company that produces premium helmets for motorcycles, introduced the F3 Carbon to meet the needs of those riders looking for a lighter helmet. During the manufacturing of the elaborate carbon fiber shell, any excess resin is stripped away by hand, resulting in a helmet shell that is as homogeneous and as light as possible.
- In September 2020, Zeus Helmet launched new carbon fiber range, which includes two products in the carbon fiber segment. The models are the ZX-1800B full-face helmet, ZS-608 open-face.
- Research is being carried out to introduce smart connected helmets which are linked with the vehicle and check alcohol levels of the rider brfore letting the rider to start the vehicle.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Value)
5.1 Material Type
5.1.1 Fiber Glass
5.1.2 Carbon Fiber
5.2 By End User
5.3 Distribution Channel
188.8.131.52 Motorcycle Showrooms
184.108.40.206 Helmet Manufacturer Showrooms
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 AGV (Subsidiary of Dainese)
6.2.2 SHOEI Co. Ltd
6.2.3 Scuberth GmbH
6.2.4 Arai Helmet Ltd
6.2.5 HJC Helmets
6.2.6 Shark Helmets
6.2.7 Bell Helmets
6.2.8 Nolan Helmets
6.2.9 Locatelli SpA (Airoh Helmets)
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.1% over the next 5 years.
What is Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market size in 2018?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is valued at 701 Million USD in 2018.
What is Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market size in 2026?
The Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market is valued at 1040 Million USD in 2026.
Which region has highest growth rate in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market?
- AGV (Subsidiary of Dainese)
- Shoei Co. Ltd
- Scuberth GmbH
- Arai Helmet Ltd
- Bell Helmets
Are the major companies operating in Premium Motorcycle Helmets Market.