Pouch Packaging Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Pouch Packaging Market Analysis
The Global Pouch Packaging Market size is expected to grow from USD 39.67 billion in 2022 to USD 56.03 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 6.16% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Pouches are among the most widely used packaging products in the food and beverages industry, including pet food, baby food, and liquid packaging. Moreover, since they are chemically inert, they are also used in pharmaceutical and cosmetic packaging.
- The growth of the frozen packaged industry across European and American countries is expected to impact the market positively. For instance, according to Frozen Food Europe, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom account for more than 50% of the frozen food market in Europe. The government-mandated lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic aided the sales of frozen foods in many regions and impacted the market positively.
- The key market expansion drivers include increased demand for packaged foods and beverages, expanding interest in ready-to-eat (RTE) food, ease of use, and affordability of pouches.
- In addition, the rise in the demand for on-the-go snacks led to the need for re-closable stand-up pouches as they offer convenience to consumers. The changing lifestyle and food preferences among consumers, coupled with changing food technology, also boost the market demand.
- The growing consumer awareness about environmental concerns, dynamic regulatory standards, the ongoing drive for sustainability that includes replacing plastic-based packaging products with biodegradable materials, and poor recycling rate due to the lack of advanced recycling facilities are some factors challenging the market's growth.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a mixed influence on pouch packaging sales. Due to the outbreak, pouch packaging manufacturers are facing supply chain disruptions, along with decreasing manufacturing in many parts of the world. However, the increasing demand for medical and healthcare supplies is expected to affect the pouch packaging market positively.
Pouch Packaging Industry Segmentation
The whole packaging industry revolves around the essential element of consumer preference, and as a result, pouches have already replaced traditional glass and cans in stores. The features offered by pouches include an easy opening (like a tear notch and laser perforation), easy-to-use (with zippers and shapes), and reclosable. Moreover, as they are chemically inert, they are widely used in different industries, such as pharmaceuticals, pet food, and cosmetics.
The study considers revenues accrued from the sales of pouch packaging products offered by various vendors operating in the market. On the basis of material type, plastic, paper, and aluminum pouches have been considered in the scope of the study. For the market estimation and projection, inputs from the primary interviews were also considered, along with the impact of COVID-19.
|By Closure Type|
|By End-user Industry|
|Food and Beverage|
|Other End-user Industries|
|Rest of the World|
Pouch Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Pouch Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand for Convenience and Ready-to-eat Food
- Meeting consumer demands for convenience is a significant driver for existing and new packaging technologies. The packaging industry has been experiencing fundamental shifts focused on brand experience. Demand for comfort is also a key driver of change. There is a considerable push for flexible packaging, especially pouches, owing to the convenience it provides for consumers and manufacturers. Therefore, flexible packaging formats are recognized as an asset in building brand loyalty. Consumers like the ability to squish or squeeze out products from a flexible package to save space and prefer resealing products to regulate product consumption at their own pace.
- The increasing rate of urbanization worldwide has resulted in a higher focus on convenience and sustainability in packaging. The healthy growth of end users, such as fresh food, ready-to-eat food, pet food, and coffee that require convenient packaging, is projected to drive the need for producing pouch packaging. The general trend of shifting from rigid to flexible packaging to avail the benefits of convenience packaging and fit the changing lifestyles, along with the growing number of smaller households, is increasing the need for single-serve options.
- In line with the growth in the number of single-person households, most consumers (especially the youth) are inclined to frequent shopping for groceries in smaller quantities as they can carry their favorite products with them wherever they move to convenience. Party-size bags of food items have been an old norm as smaller or individual-sized pouches allow consumers to feel more likely in control of portion sizes.
- The changing lifestyle of the consumer in the American and European regions also resulted in increased demand for ready-to-eat foods. The need for ready-to-eat food is at an all-time high. With the new age working population working round the clock and the gen-z looking for everything handy, ready-to-eat foods have emerged as the best solution.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Fastest Growth
- The market is being driven by Chinese customers' growing preference for mostly retort-packed goods to maintain their shelf stability, including fish, meat, and vegetables. Additionally, the nation's customers are becoming increasingly accustomed to ready-made meals.
- China will likely experience a considerable demand for flexible packaging goods during the forecast period due to the rapid development in demand from end-user sectors like food, pharmaceutical and medical, personal care, and domestic care. Despite the country having a sizable basis for packaging, flexible packaging had the quickest and most significant growth among all forms of packaging due to its low cost and numerous product benefits.
- Moreover, India made a significant contribution to the dairy industry. Due to strict limits on single-use plastics, market players have considerable potential to develop biodegradable and reusable pouches. Reusable materials such as polyethylene made from bioethanol, polylactic acid, micro-fibrillated cellulose, and biodegradable materials are also included in sustainable packaging.
- The market's expansion products are being constrained by a rise in the use of alternative packaging options for pouch packaging. Due to the rapidly increasing demand for packaged food goods, an increase in disposable income, and the number of working women in the country, India is predicted to hold a significant share of the Asia-Pacific packing industry.
- In August 2022, the India Youth For Society (IYFS), a committed group raising awareness about plastic waste's dangers, launched a new initiative to collect milk pouches. At Dr. V.S. Krishna Degree College, a particular push to collect these pouches got underway. According to the organization, the group gathers pouch bags for recycling. In collaboration with the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation, the IYFS set up a recycling operation at the dump. The IYFS office is convenient for disposing of unwanted milk pouches and plastic.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Pouch Packaging Industry Overview
The pouch packaging market is fragmented due to the presence of several market players globally. Some major players are Bischof + Klein SE & Co. KG, Amcor Limited, Aluflexpack Group, ProAmpac Intermediate, and Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH. The market players are expected to leverage the opportunity posed by the growth of several end-user verticals and are innovating to expand their market presence.
- July 2022 - Mondi announced an investment to expand sustainable pet food packaging solutions. Mondi announced plans to invest nearly EUR 65 million in three consumer flexible packaging plants in Europe to increase production capacity and meet customer demand for sustainable pet food packaging solutions.
- May 2022 - ProAmpac acquired Specialty Packaging Inc., a family-owned manufacturer of specialty paper, film, and foil packaging products for the fast-food and food service industries. With this addition, the company is enhancing its reach with food-service customers and expanding its footprint to the southern United States.
- February 2022 - Coveris Management GmbH expanded its capacity at the Kufstein site for a new five-layer-stretch-film-for-silage extrusion line. The new extrusion facility, which was recently put into full operation, continues the modernization efforts at the plant and significantly increases the production speed of stretch film for silage bales.
Pouch Packaging Market Leaders
Bischof + Klein SE & Co. KG
ProAmpac Intermediate, Inc.
Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Pouch Packaging Market News
- September 2022 - Amcor announced a strategic investment of USD 45 million in the digitally-based ePacFlexible Packaging (manufacturers of stand-up pouches, lay flat pouches, and roll stock, with a self-claimed advantage in print technology) to increase its minority shareholding in ePacHoldings LLC.
- February 2022 - ProAmpac announced the acquisition of Belle-Pak Packaging ("Belle-Pak"), an award-winning flexible packaging product maker. With this acquisition, ProAmpac strengthened its increasing position in Canada and widened its reach in high-growth e-commerce, healthcare, and logistics end industries.
- January 2022 - Sonoco completed the acquisition of Ball Metalpack, a producer of eco-friendly tinplate food packaging. The partnership will increase the range of eco-friendly packaging to include tinplate packaging.
Pouch Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Requirements for Cost-effective Packaging Solutions and Brand Enhancement
5.1.2 Increasing Demand for Convenience and Ready-to-eat Food
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Growing Environmental Concerns and Recycling
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.2 By Closure Type
6.2.3 Tear Notch
6.3 By End-user Industry
6.3.1 Food and Beverage
6.3.2 Personal Care
6.3.3 Health Care
6.3.4 Other End-user Industries
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.4.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor PLC
7.1.2 Bischof + Klein SE & Co. KG
7.1.3 Aluflexpack Group
7.1.4 ProAmpac Intermediate Inc.
7.1.5 Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH
7.1.6 Coveris Management GmbH
7.1.7 FLAIR Flexible Packaging Corporation
7.1.8 Gualapack SpA
7.1.9 Hood Packaging Corporation
7.1.10 Mondi PLC
7.1.11 Scholle IPN
7.1.12 Sealed Air Corporation
7.1.13 Sonoco Products Company
7.1.14 Toppan Inc.
7.1.15 TOYO SEIHAN CO LTD (Toyo Seikan Group Holdings Ltd)
7.1.16 Huhtamaki Flexible Packaging
7.1.17 Glenroy Inc.
7.1.18 Uflex Limited
7.1.19 KM Packaging Services Ltd
7.1.20 Eagle Flexible Packaging
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Pouch Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Pouch Packaging Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Pouch Packaging Market?
The Pouch Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.62% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Pouch Packaging Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Pouch Packaging Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Pouch Packaging Market?
Amcor PLC, Bischof + Klein SE & Co. KG, Aluflexpack Group, ProAmpac Intermediate, Inc., Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH are the major companies operating in Pouch Packaging Market.
Global Pouch Packaging Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Global Pouch Packaging market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Global Pouch Packaging analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.