|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global Photonics Market was valued at USD 589.82 billion in 2020, and it is expected to reach USD 1019.77 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of approximately 7.14% during the period of 2021-2026. The COVID-19 outbreak has affected many industries. Due to the nationwide lockdown globally, many photonic devices manufacturing companies face supply chain interruption and manufacturing inefficiency. However, the COVID-19 outbreak has expanded the scope of photonic devices in the healthcare industry.
Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic struck, biophotonic researchers ramped up their efforts to count on their cutting-edge technologies against the infection and the virus that is the reason behind. Addressing this area of concern, the FiO+LS 2020 conference also hosted two special sessions.
- Moreover, the trends in photonics, such as lidar or additive manufacturing are rising. Lidar technology has been used for decades to analyze the distribution of gases and pollutants in the atmosphere. It has become a crucial technology for autonomous driving in recent years.
- Silicon-based photonics application is the key driver for the photonics market. Hybrid silicon lasers (silicon and group III-V semiconductor) are used in telecommunications and data center applications, which gives the advantage of light-emitting properties of III-V semiconductor materials.
- Technological advancements in light-based technologies have been driving the new wave of innovation by providing sustainable solutions to global challenges, which has been identified as a major driving factor for the global market.
- However, due to the high cost of applications of photonics products, the market is expected to face challenges in the future.
Scope of the Report
Photonics is an area of study that involves the use of radiant energy (such as light), whose fundamental element is the photon and waves that can be used to cure diseases, explore the universe, and even solve crimes. The advancements in the photonics market have been stimulated owing to developments in the field of fiber optics and introduction of electricity, which have given a boost to the conversion. The evolvement of photonics has also resulted in a steady increase in the performance of both OPV and OLED technologies.
|Surveying and Detection|
|Image Capture and Display|
|Other Applications (Traffic and Research)|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Applications of Silicon Photonics to Gain Market Share in Data Communication
- Silicon photonics is an evolving branch of photonics offering a clear advantage over electric conductors used in semiconductors, which are used in high-speed transmission systems.
- In data center applications, fiber-based optical interconnects can be used to provide point-to-point links, enabling high-bandwidth, inter-rack, data communications. However, due to the use of bulk optical components, high energy and cost are key disadvantages.
- The integration of silicon photonic devices can be used for high-bandwidth, multi-channel, wavelength division multiplexed with effective optical communication. The realization of an on-chip channelized spectrum monitor and a network-node-on-a-chip is a key example, where these optical integrated circuits are used to replace bulk optical components with their functional equivalents on monolithic silicon.
- 100G silicon photonic transceiver is gaining the market share, due to its high data speed data communication with future integration in 5G technology. Intel Corporation's portfolio of 100G silicon photonics transceivers is optimized to meet the bandwidth requirements of next-generation communications infrastructure, while withstanding harsh environmental conditions.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific Occupies the Major Market Share
- Asia Pacific region occupies the most significant market because of the presence of emerging economies such as China and India. The availability of a cheap workforce coupled with favorable government initiatives is driving the market growth.
- For instance, China aims to become a global leader in manufacturing by 2025 through its initiative " Made in China 2025". Currently, China is a leader in manufacturing smartphones and other consumer electronics, such as flat panel displays and, lighting products. Thus, through this initiative, China aims to become the world's "factory," and in return would have a positive impact on the market.
- Moreover, with the rising young workforce in countries such as India, there is an increase in disposable income which is another primary reason which is expected to drive the market. This is because the major vendors are expanding their footprint in the country through partnerships or mergers and acquisitions to gain a competitive advantage.
- For instance, Sansui Electric Co., Ltd in partnership with Jaina Group of New Delhi, announced establishing a manufacturing unit for television, washing machines, refrigerators, and air-conditioners in Gurgaon by June 2020. The group has entered into a 24-year licensing agreement and plans to invest INR 1,000 crore in the next three years. Such an initiative is expected to augment the market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The photonics market is highly fragmented and the major players have used various strategies, such as expansions, new product launches, partnerships, agreements, joint ventures, and acquisitions, among others, to increase their footprints in this market. Key players in the market are Hamamatsu Photonics KK, Intel Corporation, Alcatel-Lucent SA, etc.
- March 2020 - Hamamatsu Photonics KK purchased a 55% stock share in Hamamatsu Photonics Korea Co. Ltd based out of Korea, which is a new company, where Hamamatsu Photonics shifted its local sales distributor activities. The new company is now a subsidiary in Korea, and it aims to further increase sales in Asia by strengthening the sales structure of the Measurement Instruments business.
- April 2020 - A research team at Intel developed a photonic engine with the equivalent processing power of 16 100-Gb transceivers, or four of the latest 12.8-Tb generation. With the 1.6-Tb/s photonic engine, one can co-package the photonics in the same multichip package as the switch ASIC.
- March 2020 - Huber+Suhnercreated a ground-breaking Polatisoptical switch platform with industry-leading capacity. The latest addition to the award-winning Polatisall-optical switch was designed to provide operators with 50% more capacity than any other solution in the market.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Emergence of Silicon-based Photonics Applications
4.2.2 Increasing Focus on High Performance and Eco- friendly Solutions
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Photonics Enabled Devices Due to High Integration
4.4 Industry Supply Chain Analysis
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Technology Snapshot
4.7 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Surveying and Detection
5.1.2 Production Technology
5.1.3 Data Communication
5.1.4 Image Capture and Display
5.1.5 Medical Technology
5.1.7 Other Applications (Traffic and Research)
5.2.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.2.3 Asia Pacific
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.2.4 Rest of the World
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*
6.1.1 Hamamatsu Photonics KK
6.1.2 Intel Corporation
6.1.3 Polatis Photonics Inc.
6.1.4 Alcatel-Lucent SA
6.1.5 Molex Inc. (Koch Industries)
6.1.6 Infinera Corporation
6.1.7 NEC Corporation
6.1.8 Innolume GmbH
6.1.9 Finisar Corporation
6.1.10 IPG Photonics
6.1.11 Osram Licht AG
6.1.12 Philips Photonics (Trumpf GmbH)
6.1.13 Photonics SAS (Keopsys)
6.1.14 Schott AG
6.1.15 Carl Zeiss AG (Scantinel Photonics GmbH)
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Photonics Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Photonics Market?
The Photonics Market is growing at a CAGR of 7.14% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Photonics Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Photonics Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Photonics Market?
Hamamatsu Photonics KK, Intel Corporation, POLATIS INCORPORATED (HUBER+SUHNER) , Alcatel-Lucent SA (Nokia Corporation) , Molex Inc. (Koch Industries) are the major companies operating in Photonics Market.