|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global passive electronic components market was valued at USD 38.76 billion in 2021. It is expected to reach a value of USD 54.67 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 5.29% over the forecast period, 2022-2027.
- The passive electronics component market witnessed significant growth over the past few years, primarily due to the increasing digitalization of various sectors. This has resulted in the rising adoption of consumer electronics across these sectors and the growing demand for connectivity and mobility. With these advancements, the complexity of electronic products is also increasing. This accelerates the demand for passive components in the electronics and automotive industries.
- The growth of inductors is currently steady, owing to the increasing number of product launches, the developments in the consumer electronics sector, the growing use of inductors in automotive electronics, and the increasing adoption of smart grids. The rising demand for consumer electronics, such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, set-top boxes, and portable gaming consoles, is the primary factor driving the demand for inductors.
- Inductors are used for power supply in various complex circuits for managing the current and as filters in circuits to cut off undesirable frequencies. The new trend of connected and smart devices is likely to witness more complex circuitry, leading to an increased demand for inductors in the future.
- Furthermore, multi-layered inductors have gained popularity in the market as they allow manufacturers to design different shapes/geometries of inductors based on the requirements for customization from the OEMs of electronic devices. Such factors drive the vendors to work in close partnership with their customers and offer products that meet their customer’s demands. The consumer electronics industry is driven by continued innovation in product design; the market is expected to experience more collaborative developments during the forecast period.
- The passive component’s raw materials supply chain is affected by price fluctuations related to recent supply disruptions caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. Proximity to production sites impacted by the pandemic (China and Taiwan) and volatile materials supply showcased that chip resistors are the largest red flag in the segment. Asia-Pacific countries, such as Malaysia, faced several closures of passive components production sites due to the rise in the COVID-19 outbreak. For instance, in June 2021, Bourns Magnetic Components announced the closure of its Malaysia production site. Due to a complete lockdown, no shipments are expected from the manufacturing factory.
Scope of the Report
The scope of the study characterizes the global passive electronic components market based on inductors, resistors, and capacitors, which further includes various types, end-user markets, and geography.
An assessment of the impact of COVID-19 has also been covered in the study.
Passive electronic components are components that consume energy. They do not produce energy, are incapable of power gain, and require no electrical power to operate; they absorb energy.
Key Market Trends
Automotive Industry Expected to Show Significant Adoption
- The increase in hybrids and electric vehicles (EV-type cars) is rapidly reducing the environmental burden and increasing the number of ECUs (electronic control units), thereby leading to stronger demand for electronic components whose miniaturization and further performance improvements have been rising. The growing market for these vehicles will offer additional growth opportunities to power inductor manufacturers.
- The trend of moving toward electrification places extreme pressure on DC/DC converters to provide stable power over a wide temperature range and deliver high reliability and energy efficiency within tight space constraints, such as the electronic control unit (ECU), owing to the demand for power inductors that can deliver superior characteristics to the industry.
- The new automotive features and the functionality due to autonomous vehicle technologies, vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications, advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), and other safety and sensing systems, like backup cameras and lane-departure detectors, are driving the demand for electronic components in automotive applications. Passive components, like capacitors, are required to ensure stability and interference-free designs.
- Electric vehicles, plug-in hybrids, and other motor vehicles deploy electric drive trains. These drive trains are creating a significant demand for electronic components and subsystems. In these vehicles, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors are used in drive-train applications, including boost inverters, DC/DC converters, motor inverters, onboard chargers, and wall chargers.
- With automotive manufacturers continuously striving to improve performance while reducing cost and mass, electrical and electronic components utilized in automotive are witnessing rapid advancements on many fronts. Many circuits still depend on analog components for reliability and accuracy due to digital advances.
- Resistors are finding several applications in the automotive sector, including body areas, cabin/comfort controls, entertainment systems, drive train applications (alternator systems/starter and a 42V bus), and engine management systems, including sensors and ignition/injection control.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Witness Highest Growth in the Market
- The Asian-Pacific region is one of the most important markets for capacitors. The automotive industry is proliferating in China, which plays an increasingly important role in the global automotive market. The government views its automotive industry, including the auto parts sector, as one of its country's pillar industries. The Government of China estimates that China's automobile output is expected to reach 30 million units by 2020 and 35 million units by 2025. This is expected to drive the capacitors' demand.
- Japan and South Korea are two of the major countries that are driving the demand for capacitors. The transportation sector is one of the critical infrastructures that supported the Japanese economy and evolved along with other industries' growth. In addition, Japan is on the road toward adopting electric vehicle technology on a large scale. The biggest motor vehicle company in the country, Toyota, has partnered with another player, Mazda, to develop electric vehicle technologies for electric cars, including mini-vehicles, SUVs, passenger cars, and light trucks. This caters to the demand for supercapacitors.
- The demand for inductors is primarily felt in the Asian-Pacific region. Many countries, like Japan, China, South Korea, and Taiwan, host massive companies and foundries for several major passive electronic powerhouses. China is the single largest demand for inductor components in the current market scenario, owing to its rapidly growing semiconductor industry and automation in the industrial sector.
- Additionally, the Asian-Pacific region is on the path to becoming the global largest 5G region by 2025, led by pioneering 5G markets, such as Australia, China, Japan, and South Korea, according to the latest edition of GSMA's Mobile Economy report. The number of launches of commercial 5G networks in these markets is expected to reach 675 million by 2025, which is more than half of the total global 5G launches.
- The growing electronics industry attracts several MNCs to start manufacturing plants in Asian countries independently or through a joint venture with different regional companies. This includes large global organizations such as Tyco Electronics, FCI OEN, Molex, Vishay, and EPCOS. This is further anticipated to boost the local manufacturing activity of resistors in the Asian-Pacific region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The competitive landscape of the global passive electronic components market is fragmented due to several market players globally. The market players are making several product developments and innovations to capture the maximum market share. Moreover, the market players are considering strategic partnerships and investments to gain maximum market traction.
- May 2022 - Vishay Intertechnology Inc. introduced a new high precision thin film wraparound chip resistor for industrial, military, and aerospace applications. In addition to offering the widest resistance value range in the market, the Vishay Sfernice PEP could deliver higher power ratings in smaller case sizes than competing devices, enabling miniaturization and increasing reliability by reducing the mechanical stress on solder joints. These resistors are available in four case sizes from 0402 to 1206 and feature a high-power rating of 1 W in the 1206 case size.
- April 2022 - TDK Corporation announced a definitive agreement on establishing a joint venture between Amperex Technology Limited and Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited. Announcement on Business Alliance and Establishment of Joint Venture with CATL on April 28, 2021.
Vishay Intertechnology Inc.
- May 2022 - Vishay Intertechnology Inc. company introduced a new series of AEC-Q200 qualified, chassis-mount wire-wound resistors targeted at the growing electric vehicle (EV) market. Vishay Dale RHA series resistors mount directly onto a chassis to utilize the heat-sink effect. It could offer high reliability to the devices, featuring a wholly welded and molded construction for total environmental protection and an operating temperature range of -55 °C to +250 °C.
- April 2022 - TDK Corporation presents a new series of EPCOS MKP-Y2 capacitors for interference suppression. In contrast to conventional models designed for a maximum operating temperature of 110 °C, the new capacitors offer a maximum permissible operating temperature of 125 °C. Typical fields of application for the new Y2 capacitors include interference suppression in filters and at high operating temperatures, such as in automotive applications.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the industry
4.5 Demand and Supply of Palladium and Ruthenium till 2021 and Forecast for 2022
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Complexity of Electronics
5.1.2 Increasing Miniaturized Design Preferences
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Rising Metal Prices Impacting Component Production Costs
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1.1 By Type
22.214.171.124 Ceramic Capacitors
126.96.36.199 Tantalum Capacitors
188.8.131.52 Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors
184.108.40.206 Paper and Plastic Film Capacitors
6.1.2 By End-User Industry
220.127.116.11 Aerospace and Defense
18.104.22.168 Communications/Servers/Data Storage
22.214.171.124 Consumer Electronics
6.1.3 By Geography
126.96.36.199 Europe, Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Asia-Pacific (Excl. Japan and Korea)
184.108.40.206 Japan and Korea
6.2.1 By Type
6.2.2 By End-User Industry
220.127.116.11 Aerospace and Defense
18.104.22.168 Consumer Electronics and Computing
22.214.171.124 Other End-user Industries
6.2.3 By Geography
126.96.36.199 North America
188.8.131.52 Rest of the World
6.3.1 By Type
184.108.40.206 Surface-mounted Chips
6.3.2 By End-User
220.127.116.11 Aerospace and Defense
18.104.22.168 Consumer Electronics and Computing
22.214.171.124 Other End-user Industries
6.3.3 By Geography
126.96.36.199 North America
188.8.131.52 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 KEMET Corporation (Yageo Company)
7.1.2 Panasonic Corporation
7.1.3 TDK Corporation
7.1.4 Vishay Intertechnology Inc.
7.1.5 Murata Manufacturing Co. Ltd
7.1.6 AVX Corporation (Kyocera Corporation)
7.1.7 Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd
7.1.8 Sagami Elec Co. Ltd
7.1.9 WIMA GmbH & Co. KG
7.1.10 Cornell Dubilier Electronics Inc.
7.1.11 Yageo Corporation
7.1.12 Lelon Electronics Corp.
7.1.13 United Chemi-Con (Nippon Chemi-con Corporation)
7.1.14 Bourns Inc.
7.1.15 Wurth Elektronik Group
7.1.16 API Delevan (Fortive Corporation)
7.1.17 Eaton Corporation
7.1.18 Coilcraft Inc.
7.1.19 TT Electronics PLC
7.1.20 KOA Speer Electronics Inc.
7.1.21 TE Connectivity Ltd
7.1.22 Ohmite Manufacturing Company
7.1.23 Susumu Co. Ltd
7.1.24 Arcol UK Limited
7.1.25 Honeywell International Inc.
8. LIST OF CHINESE MANUFACTURERS
9. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
10. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Passive Electronic Components Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Global Passive Electronic Components Market?
The Global Passive Electronic Components Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.29% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Passive Electronic Components Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Passive Electronic Components Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Global Passive Electronic Components Market?
KEMET Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, Vishay Intertechnology Inc., Yageo Corporation, TDK Corporation are the major companies operating in Global Passive Electronic Components Market.