North America Olive Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
North America Olive Market Analysis
The North American olive market is projected to record a CAGR of 4.0% during the forecast period.
- The North American olives market has grown rapidly in recent years, majorly driven by a shift in the consumption pattern towards the inclusion of olive oil in regular diet and greater usage of table olives.
- Olive oil is the major constituent in the consumption of olives in the region; the preference for table olive toppings or olives as ‘tapas’ has also been prevalent in recent years, which has translated into regular olive imports to meet domestic requirements.
- The United States is one of the largest producers of olive fruits in North America. California produces more than 95% of the olives grown in the United States. Originally, California olive production was intended for oil. However, other markets developed as production increased faster than the demand for olive oil. The production of olive fruit in the United States accounted for 91.6 thousand metric tons in 2021, which is expected to increase in the future, thereby driving the olive market in the region.
North America Olive Industry Segmentation
Olive, with the botanical name Olea europaea, also known as 'European olive' in Latin, belongs to the family Oleaceae, found traditionally in the Mediterranean basin. Olive cultivars are primarily used foroil or as-is consumption.
The North American Olive Market is Segmented by Geography into the United States, Canada, and Mexico. The Report Provides a Production (Volume), Consumption (Value and Volume), Import (value and volume), Export (value and volume) and Price Trend Analysis. The report offers the market size and forecasts in terms of value in USD million and volume in metric ton for all the above segments.
North America Olive Market Trends
Dietary Revolution Leading to Upsurge in Demand for Olive Oil
A dietary revolution based on the nutritional benefits of olive oil has taken consumers in its stride in recent years. The upsurge in demand may be attributed to olives' health benefits, i,e., the presence of monounsaturated fat and antioxidants in olive oil, which helps prevent cardiovascular diseases, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension. Increasing health consciousness among consumers and the trend of healthy eating has become olive oil a preferred cooking medium, replacing traditional oils such as soybean and sunflower oil. The popularity of Mediterranean cuisine, which extensively uses olive oil, has also contributed to the increasing demand for olive oil globally. Moreover, the increasing demand for organic and natural food products has influenced the growth of the olive market, as consumers are willing to pay a premium for such products. As the demand for olive oil is positively correlated with the demand for olives, the rise in the global demand for olive oil has spurred the need for higher production of olives.
The olive oil consumption in the United States was 364 thousand metric tons in 2018 which increased considerably to 406 thousand metric tons in 2021, owing to a shift in the consumption of olive oil from the pomace variant to pure, extra light, and virgin categories. Thus, the rising trend of olive oil consumption is therefore anticipated to act as a catalyst in the growth of olive production, hence driving the global olive market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United States Accounts for a Major Share in the Production of Olives
California is where the majority of US olives are produced. It shares a similar climate with many of the Mediterranean countries known for their olive oil production. California produces more than 95% of the olives grown in the United States. In 2021, there were 14,569 bearing hectares, yielding 91.6 thousand metric tons of olives in the country. Favorable climatic conditions in the United States have helped it become one of the major producers of olives.
The demand for organic olives and olive oil is increasing in the United States, and many California growers are transitioning to organic farming practices to meet this demand. Furthermore, the United States is a net importer of olive oil, with the majority of imports coming from Mediterranean countries such as Spain, Italy, and Greece. Some of the other major producers of olives after the United States are Mexico and Canada. Mexico is being studied for the feasibility of expansion of olive oil processing facilities. Hence, to cater to the rising demand for olive oil and table olives in the region, the production of olives in the country is high.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
North America Olive Market News
- February 2023: The University of Florida/Institute of Food and Agriculture Sciences approved a nearly USD 70,000-worth grant for evaluating olive as a new cash crop for Florida. In addition, the Florida Olive Council funded USD 5,000 for the project.
- September 2022: Bell-Carter Foods (one of the largest table olive producers in the world and in the United States), a California-based firm, was acquired by the Aceitunas Guadalquivir (AG Olives) company. Such acquisitions help the business to meet the soaring demand for all forms and varieties of Lindasy brand olives produced and packaged in California.
North America Olive Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 United States
18.104.22.168 Production Analysis
22.214.171.124 Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value
126.96.36.199 Import Analysis by Volume and Value
188.8.131.52 Export Analysis by Volume and Value
184.108.40.206 Price Trend Analysis
220.127.116.11 Production Analysis
18.104.22.168 Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value
22.214.171.124 Import Analysis by Volume and Value
126.96.36.199 Export Analysis by Volume and Value
188.8.131.52 Price Trend Analysis
184.108.40.206 Production Analysis
220.127.116.11 Consumption Analysis by Volume and Value
18.104.22.168 Import Analysis by Volume and Value
22.214.171.124 Export Analysis by Volume and Value
126.96.36.199 Price Trend Analysis
6. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
North America Olive Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The North America Olive Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of North America Olive Market?
The North America Olive Market is growing at a CAGR of 4% over the next 5 years.
North America Olive Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 North America Olive market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. North America Olive analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.