Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The North American Beverage Packaging Market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.3% during the forecast period (2021-2026). The impact of COVID-19 on the market is significant in the short run, as the global lockdown has brought the entire packaging supply chain to an almost grinding halt. However, with online shopping on the rise, the market is expected to rebound in the long run. There has been a considerable increase in residential trash, which significantly comprises packaged products due to more stay-at-home dining, and COVID has exposed vulnerability in the supply chain globally, resulting in various disruptions, including some stores stopping collection of store drop-off for grocery bags and flexible packaging.
- Technological innovation, sustainability trepidations, and attractive economics are the reasons for the remarkable growth of beverage packaging in the last two decades in the United States. The way consumers view and interact with packages is altering. Due to the rising focus on sustainability, traditional rigid packaging solutions are being substituted by innovative, more sustainable, flexible packaging. The growing market demand for customer-friendly packages and heightened product protection is expected to boost flexible packaging as a viable and cost-effective substitute.
- The growing demand for carbonated drinks, energy drinks, and juices, among others, indicates rising PET bottles and metal cans as preferred materials for the same. On the other hand, with its recyclable properties, Glass has been challenged by increased costs of production and recycling. The preference for the same has been growing recently concerning sustainability trends across beverage packaging.
- Moreover, as plastic has been a long-standing and preferred packaging option by global beverage manufacturers, due to the reduced manufacturing, durability, and logistics costs, the transition towards sustainable packaging has driven these packaging manufacturers and bottling companies to pledge and commit usage of newer materials for the same in the region.
- For instance, Coca-Cola shared its commitment towards recycling as many plastic bottles as it uses by 2030. For the same, the company has been partnering with NGOs globally to help improve collection. Then, as of January 2020, Nestle committed USD 2.1 billion towards using recycled plastic packaging.
- On the vendor front, increased capacities across the metal, glass, and rPET have been observed to complement the increasing demand rising from beverage manufacturers. For instance, as of February 2020, Ball Corporation is expected to expand United States Metal Can to increase production by 2021. Its specialty beverage can would commence operations in Arizona and the northeastern US, in line with its previous commitment to add at least 8 billion units of capacity by the end of 2021.
Scope of the report
Beverage manufacturers focus on offering a better product with packaging that is easy-to-handle, eco-friendly, and keeps the product fresh for a long time. Packaging innovation is becoming a norm for beverage companies with smaller packages, situational package types, and multi-packs. Different types of products depending upon the beverages are packed using various materials in the region. Further, to arrive at the overall market projections, the study analyzes the impact of COVID-19 and the investment scenario and other macro-economic factors.
|By Product Type|
|Other Product Types|
|By Application Type|
|Carbonated Soft Drinks & Fruit Beverages|
|Alcoholic (Beer, Wine & Distilled Spirits)|
|Energy & Sport Drinks|
Key Market Trends
E-commerce is Expected to Drive the Market Share
- The significant share contributed by e-commerce is expected to positively impact the market as many companies have not yet optimized packaging for e-commerce, and overpacking is common while shipping products from a distribution center to a consumer. Because shipments are usually broken down into individual packages for delivery, this causes additional wastage, energy consumption, and pollution due to the increasing complexity of this retail chain.
- Moreover, Beverage packaging offers performance features, such as waterproof and lightweight materials and better dimensional weight benefits, which are attractive to e-commerce providers in the region.
- As business insider reports, e-commerce is driving retail growth virtually, and its influence on beverage packaging may develop in the region. The retail industry in the US is highly competitive due to established food retailers such as Walmart, Kroger, and Albertsons, thereby driving the growth of the country's market.
- Moreover, based out of the United States, Walmart is the largest global retailer and the largest. Five of the top 10 largest retail companies globally are based out of the United States, making the country the primary retail industry.
- Also, the demand for beverage packaging products is generally driven by millennial customers in the region, as they have an ardent preference for single-serving and on-the-go beverages. These products are generally designed to be portable, durable, and lightweight; flexible packaging stands as a famous option to pack such products.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Alcoholic Beverages Accounts For the Largest Market Share
- The categorization of alcoholic beverages includes wine, beer, spirits, etc., being packaged using formats such as bottles, kegs, cartons, and cans, to name a few. When it comes to Alcoholic beverages, there has been a significant transitioning of the wine industry concerning packaging format has been observed, as the global consumption across still wine has been slowing down. This has led the Unites States-based wineries to drive packaging innovations to cut costs and appeal to younger consumers.
- Therefore, portability and convenience became significant drivers in wine packaging innovation, leading Bota Box and Black Box to leverage alternative packagings, such as tetra packs and bag-in-box wine and cartons. According to the State Of Wine Industry Report 2020 by Silicon Valley Bank, canned wine in the country has recorded an 80% growth in 2019, despite the 0.5% as an overall share.
- Moreover, Cans have been observed increasing footprints across other alcoholic single-serve options. Here, the economies of smaller sizes remain the same for cans for 375- and 500-milliliter glass formats. For instance, small-sized bottles and cans, such as 100-200 milliliters, hold 90% of beer volume globally.
- Beer’s packaging, on the other hand, is highly diverse. The format packaging type preference has been driven by different regions where local laws, regulations, tastes, culture, and other drivers influence the packaging landscape.
- Further, with the COVID-19 outbreak and an upsurge in demand for alcoholic beverages across the United States, multiple packagers have reported running on low stocks. For instance, the draft beer sales stopped flowing in the United States due to on-premise shutdowns caused by efforts in the wake of novel coronavirus disease COVID-19. Therefore, allied craft brewers turned to 32 oz. Cans filled and sealed on demand to sell out leftover beer in kegs before oxidization. This has led to an increased demand for packaging towards current production in hand. Amidst the lockdown scenarios, packaging manufacturers have themselves reported operability with a reduced workforce, creating a supply-driven challenge.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The North America Beverage Packaging Market is moderately competitive with few dominant and few new entrants. The companies keep on innovating and entering into strategic partnerships to retain their market share.
- April 2021 - Amcor Ltd is pleased to announce a strategic investment in ePac Flexible Packaging, a high-quality, short-run length digital printing segment for flexible packaging. The investment will range between USD 10 to USD 15 million, including a minority ownership interest in ePac Holdings LLC and funding for one or more ePac franchise sites.
- November 2020 - Transcontinental Inc. launched the Intergritite, a 30% post-consumer recycled (PCR) collation shrink film. The new packaging film is applicable for Sparkling Water printed case wrap appearing on select Sam's and BJ's Club Store shelves in countries like Ohio, Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Indiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Delaware.
- June 2021 - Crown Holdings, Inc. expanded from the functional pull-tab—the first easy-open beverage to include options that offer a source of extra flair. For example, brightly colored tabs can create a striking appearance and reinforce brand identity from all angles. In contrast, cut-out or laser-etch tabs can spotlight brand logos or imagery and lend a premium feel to products. These subtle yet thoughtful touches demonstrate attention to detail and quality as core brand values.
- April 2021 - North American food and beverage company Lassonde has launched bottles made from 25% post-consumer food-grade recycled polyethylene terephthalate (rPET) resin. The bottles will be used for all the company’s juice brands available in 300ml packages in Canada.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Market
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
4.3 Key Regulations and Environmental considerations
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Impact of Covid-19 on the market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing e-commerce industry
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Environmental concerns against plastic
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Material
6.2 By Product Type
6.2.5 Other Product Types
6.3 By Application Type
6.3.1 Carbonated Soft Drinks & Fruit Beverages
6.3.2 Alcoholic (Beer, Wine & Distilled Spirits)
6.3.3 Bottled Water
6.3.5 Energy & Sport Drinks
6.3.6 Other Applications
6.4 By Country
6.4.1 United States
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amcor Limited
7.1.2 Mondi Group
7.1.3 Tetra Laval International S.A.
7.1.4 Crown Holdings, Inc.
7.1.5 Alcoa Inc.
7.1.6 Berry Global Inc.
7.1.7 Saint Gobain S.A.
7.1.8 Reynolds Group Holdings Limited
7.1.9 Rexam PLC
7.1.10 Owens Illinois Inc.
7.1.11 Graham Packaging Company
7.1.12 Westrock Company
7.1.13 Ball Corporation
8. MARKET OUTLOOK
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The North America Beverage Packaging Market market is studied from 2019 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of North America Beverage Packaging Market?
The North America Beverage Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.3% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in North America Beverage Packaging Market?
Amcor Limited, Tetra Laval International S.A., Crown Holdings, Inc., Alcoa Inc., Mondi PLC are the major companies operating in North America Beverage Packaging Market.