Metallurgical Coke Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|CAGR||> 3.00 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia-Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Metallurgical Coke Market Analysis
During the time frame of the forecast, the metallurgical coke market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 3%.
The COVID-19 pandemic negatively affected the market. However, after the COVID pandemic, the rising demand for metallurgical coke from applications like iron and steel making and sugar processing has helped revive the market.
- Over the short term, the rising demand for steel materials is expected to drive the market's growth.
- On the flip side, volatility in metallurgical coke prices is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- As the government does more to help the manufacturing industry, opportunities will open up on the market.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with robust demand from China and India.
Metallurgical Coke Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Metallurgical Coke Market according to our research experts:
Iron and Steel Making to Dominate the Market
- The majority of the metallurgical coke produced worldwide is used as fuel and a reducing agent in making steel and iron. Metallurgical coke, limestone, and iron ore are mixed in high-temperature furnaces where extreme heat causes the chemical properties to bond, forming iron and steel. The requirement for high-quality, tough, and resilient carbon makes metallurgical coke suitable for this application.
- Global steel production has witnessed significant growth in the past decade, especially in countries like China, India, Japan, and the United States. According to the World Steel Association, global steel demand was 1,796.7 million tons in 2022, and by 2023, steel demand will see further growth of 1% to reach 1,814.7 million tons.
- According to the World Steel Association, crude steel production was 140.7 million tons in December 2022, a 10.8% decrease compared to December 2021.
- Steel is used in many different fields, such as construction, railroads, auto manufacturing, and making capital and consumer goods.The growing industrialization in developing economies like India has majorly boosted the demand for steel in the past decade.
- Additionally, the increasing steel production capacity in countries like China and the United States has also been a major driving factor for global steel production.
- Hence, this positive trend in the global iron and steel industry is boosting the demand for metallurgical coke across the world.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific accounted for the majority of the global metallurgical coke market. China is one of the largest producers and major exporters of metallurgical coke in the world. The metallurgical coke produced in the country is used primarily in steel and iron production.
- According to Knoema, the production of metallurgical coke in China was 322.45 million metric tons of oil equivalent in 2021. In India, the production of metallurgical coke was 7.68 million metric tons of oil equivalent in the same year.
- Due to the commissioning of new coking capacity, the market in China will increase during the forecast period. But the new capacity won't be able to make up for the loss of a lot of inefficient capacity last year. According to Mysteel's annual forecast, this means that there won't be enough coke in 2021 either.
- China is the world’s largest producer of iron and steel. Despite the pandemic, steel production in China continued to rise. Steel produced in the country is used both domestically and internationally.According to the National Bureau of Statistics, in 2022, China's crude steel output fell by 2.1%, or 21.73 million metric tons, to 1,013 billion metric tons from 2021.
- As per the World Steel Association, the steel production in Japan decreased to 7,200 thousand tons in November 2022 from 7,300 thousand tons in October 2022.
- China is one of the leading manufacturers of glass globally. Despite the pandemic, the manufacturing of glass was at its peak, mainly because of the rising construction sector.
- During the forecast period, the demand for metallurgical coke in China may go up because of the things listed above.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Metallurgical Coke Industry Overview
The metallurgical coke market is partially consolidated in nature. The major players in this market (not in any particular order) include OKK Koksovny, a.s., SunCoke Energy Inc., Hickman Williams & Company, ECL, and Mechel, among others.
Metallurgical Coke Market Leaders
OKK Koksovny, a.s.
SunCoke Energy Inc.
Hickman Williams & Company
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Metallurgical Coke Market News
- October 2022: The Indian Metallurgical Coke Manufacturers Association (IMCOM) requested the Indian government to review taxes and duties on coking coal and metallurgical coke. The IMCOM asked for a 5% import duty on metallurgical coke to help domestic Met coke producers survive.
- August 2022: The China Iron and Steel Association (CISA) announced a decline in the average production cost of metallurgical coke of 10.13 percent. It is likely to affect the metallurgical coke market in China.
Metallurgical Coke Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Demand for Steel Materials
4.1.2 Increasing Automotive Vehicle Production
4.2.1 Volatility in Metallurgical Coke Price
4.3 Industry Value-chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1.1 Low Ash
5.1.2 High Ash
5.2.1 Iron and Steel Making
5.2.2 Sugar Processing
5.2.3 Glass Manufacturing
5.2.4 Others Applications
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Agreements
6.2 Market Share**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 BlueScope Steel Limited
6.4.3 CHINA SHENHUA
6.4.4 Drummond Company, Inc.
6.4.7 Hickman Williams & Company
6.4.8 Jiangsu surung High-carbon Co., Ltd.
6.4.11 NIPPON STEEL CORPORATION
6.4.12 OKK Koksovny, a.s.
6.4.13 TECHNA-X BERHAD
6.4.14 SunCoke Energy Inc.
6.4.15 YILDIRIM Group
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Government Initiatives to Promote the Manufacturing Industry
Metallurgical Coke Market Research FAQs
What is the current Metallurgical Coke Market size?
The Metallurgical Coke Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 3% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Metallurgical Coke Market?
OKK Koksovny, a.s., SunCoke Energy Inc., ECL, Mechel and Hickman Williams & Company are the major companies operating in the Metallurgical Coke Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Metallurgical Coke Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Metallurgical Coke Market?
In 2023, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in the Metallurgical Coke Market.
Metallurgical Coke Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Metallurgical Coke market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Metallurgical Coke analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.