Charcoal Market Size
|Market Volume (2024)
|69.86 Million tons
|Market Volume (2029)
|85.24 Million tons
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
|> 4.00 %
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Charcoal Market Analysis
The Charcoal Market size is estimated at 69.86 Million tons in 2024, and is expected to reach 85.24 Million tons by 2029, growing at a CAGR of greater than 4% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
The charcoal market experienced a negative impact due to the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting in a lower estimated year-on-year growth rate compared to 2019, attributed to reduced activities in related sectors. However, the market rebounded post-COVID-19, with notable growth anticipated due to increased demand for barbequed food, driving overall market growth.
- Increasing demand for charcoal consumption from the cooking fuel industry is expected to fuel the market growth.
- On the flip side, stringent government regulations on forest products owing to climate change worldwide are hindering the market's growth.
- Rising demand for air purifiers in cities with the substantial increases in pollution levels and growing awareness related to personal hygiene after the COVID-19 pandemic and others are likely to create opportunities for the market in the coming years.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the market worldwide, with countries like China, India, and Japan being the largest customers.
Charcoal Market Trends
Increasing Usage in the Cooking Fuel Industry
- Charcoal is widely used in the cooking fuel industry as it offers various benefits, such as quick lighting, smokeless fire, and no ash and dust production. Higher calorific value, longer burning hours, and even heat distribution are other benefits of using charcoal in cooking fuel.
- Increasing urbanization coupled with easy accessibility of charcoal in urban areas and rapid technology improvements is expected to drive the charcoal industry. Besides, lower cost, lightweight, and accessible transportation will boost the demand for charcoal in the cooking industry.
- Charcoal is the primary source of cooking fuel for many developing countries. Charcoal is the leading source of energy for cooking in most of Uganda’s households. Charcoal contributed 77.8%, respectively, to the sources of energy for cooking in Uganda.
- The increasing consumption of barbecued food due to changing lifestyles and the adoption of new cooking styles is expected to drive the charcoal market. Rising awareness about healthy lifestyles has led to changes in people's food preferences. This has resulted in increased grilled or barbecued food consumption, driving the demand for charcoal as cooking fuel.
- Moreover, the growing demand for clean metallurgical fuel in the iron and steel industry is expected to fuel the charcoal market. High heating capacity and low carbon emission as compared to coal are the properties driving the charcoal market.
- Increasing usage of charcoal stoves in developing countries, as it provides durability, low carbon monoxide emission, and re-utilization of radiated heat, is expected to drive the charcoal market during the forecasted period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market. In this region, China and India are the most prominent market-leading countries with high consumption of Charcoal in various end-segment industries and use cases.
- As per EPRA, International Journal of Research & Development 2022, Activated Charcoal's role in acute and chronic health-related problems is very effective, such as skin infections, diarrhea, kidney health, flatulence, and other medical uses.
- The detoxifying property of Charcoal is used for purifying blood and reducing indigestion, which has increased its demand in the healthcare industry. The rapidly aging population in China will increase the need for medicines in the country. Hence boosting the healthcare industry in the country.
- Additionally, China is the world’s largest crude steel producer, with 947 million tons of production in 2022. This will increase the demand for Charcoal as a metallurgical fuel in the steel industry.
- In India, increased spending in the healthcare sector post-pandemic is expected to benefit the charcoal market for new medicine development. As per the Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the healthcare sector in India is expected to reach USD 372 billion in 2022.
- Growing demand for metallurgical fuel in India due to the increased industrial activity will boost the demand for the charcoal market in the country. Increased government spending, easy availability of low-cost labor, and the presence of abundant iron ore reserves in India are expected to drive the steel industry.
- The rising threat of recurrent COVID-19 waves and growing pollution levels in various cities of Asia-Pacific, such as China, Bangladesh, and India, will boost the demand for air purifiers in the region. As per the World Air Quality Report 2022, Bangladesh had an average PM 2.5 concentration of 76.9 micrograms per cubic meter of air, making it the most polluted country worldwide.
- Due to all such factors and implementing the growth of the charcoal market in various industries and countries in this region, the market for Charcoal in the region is expected to have steady growth during the forecast period.
Charcoal Industry Overview
The charcoal market is highly fragmented. The major players (not in any particular order) include E & C Charcoal, Subur Tiasa Holdings Berhad, Kingsford Products Company, NamCo Charcoal, Timber Products, and Namchar, among others.
Charcoal Market Leaders
E & C Charcoal
Subur Tiasa Holdings Berhad
Kingsford Products Company
NamCo Charcoal and Timber Products
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Charcoal Market News
March 2022: Kingsford Products Company, a subsidiary of The Clorox Company, launched a new product line of signature flavored charcoals and hardwood pellets. The main objective of this product launch is to improve the grilling experience with various flavors and aromas. This will improve the company's product portfolio.
February 2022: Royal Oak Charcoal constructed one of the world's largest charcoal plants, enhancing its existing Salem, MO, facility. As the exclusive producer of the Royal Oak brand, the expansion aimed to boost production by a minimum of 50%. Incorporating state-of-the-art technologies like dust collection, this expansion of the over 50-year-old factory not only increases efficiency but also provides skill development opportunities for over 150 employees.
Charcoal Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rising Demand for Cooking Fuel Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Demand for Detoxifying Agents in Healthcare Industry
4.1.3 Growing Demand from Iron and Steel, and Cement Industry
4.2.1 Stringent Government Regulations on Forest Products Worldwide
4.2.2 Environmental Concerns and Deforestation
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size In Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.2 Hardwood Lump
5.1.3 Coconut Shell
5.1.5 Other Product Types (Sugar charcoal, Mangrove, Shisha, Sawdust, and Root)
5.2.1 Cooking Fuel
5.2.2 Metallurgical Fuel
5.2.3 Water and Air Purification
5.2.5 Cosmetics and Personal Care
5.2.6 Other Applications (Barbeque and Horticulture)
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BRICAPAR S.A. Charcoal Briquettes
6.4.2 Duraflame, Inc
6.4.3 E & C Charcoal
6.4.5 Fire & Flavor
6.4.6 Fogo Charcoal
6.4.8 Kingsford Products Company
6.4.9 MATSURI INTERNATIONAL CO. LTD
6.4.11 Mesjaya Sdn Bhd
6.4.13 NamCo Charcoal and Timber Products
6.4.14 Oxford Charcoal Company
6.4.15 Paraguay Charcoal
6.4.17 PT Cavron Global
6.4.18 Rancher Charcoal
6.4.19 Royal Oak Enterprises, LLC
6.4.20 Sagar Charcoal And Firewood Depot
6.4.21 Subur Tiasa Holdings Berhad
6.4.22 Timber Charcoal Company LLC
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Increasing Awareness Related to Personal Hygiene due to COVID-19 Pandemic
7.2 Rising Demand for Air Purifiers in Cities
Charcoal Market Research FAQs
How big is the Charcoal Market?
The Charcoal Market size is expected to reach 69.86 million tons in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of greater than 4% to reach 85.24 million tons by 2029.
What is the current Charcoal Market size?
In 2024, the Charcoal Market size is expected to reach 69.86 million tons.
Who are the key players in Charcoal Market?
E & C Charcoal, Subur Tiasa Holdings Berhad, Kingsford Products Company, NamCo Charcoal and Timber Products and Namchar are the major companies operating in the Charcoal Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Charcoal Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Charcoal Market?
In 2024, the Asia-Pacific accounts for the largest market share in Charcoal Market.
What years does this Charcoal Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Charcoal Market size was estimated at 67.07 million tons. The report covers the Charcoal Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Charcoal Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Charcoal Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Charcoal market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Charcoal analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.