Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Indian water and wastewater treatment (WWT) technology market was valued at over USD 2,100 million in 2021, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 8% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The COVID-19 outbreak has been negatively affecting the economy of India. The pandemic negatively affected the operations of several end-user industries of the market studied, which reduced the outflow of industrial wastewater. The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in a huge drop in oil demand. As a result, the demand for water treatment technologies in the industry declined. In the food and beverage industry, labor shortage and the shutdown of plants reduced the food production levels in 2020. Furthermore, in the pulp and paper industry, reduced imports of packaging material by major consumers resulted in a domestic oversupply of pulp and paper products in the manufacturing countries. This oversupply issue is negatively affecting the growth of the industry.
- In the medium term, the rapidly diminishing freshwater resources and growing wastewater complexities are likely to drive the demand for water and wastewater treatment technologies in India.
- The high cost of water treatment plants and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Innovations in water treatment technologies are anticipated to act as an opportunity for the market studied.
Scope of the Report
The Indian water and wastewater treatment (WWT) technology market is segmented by equipment type and end-user industry. By equipment type, the market is segmented into treatment equipment and process control equipment and pumps. The treatment equipment has been further segmented into oil/water separation, suspended solids removal, dissolved solids removal, biological treatment/nutrient and metals recovery, disinfection/oxidation, and other treatment equipment. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into municipal, food and beverage, pulp and paper, oil and gas, healthcare, poultry and agriculture, chemical, and other end-user industries. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (in USD million).
|Process Control Equipment and Pumps|
|Food and Beverage|
|Pulp and Paper|
|Oil and Gas|
|Poultry and Agriculture|
|Chemical and Petrochemical|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Treatment Equipment to Dominate the Market
- Treatment Equipment technology includes, Oil/water separation, suspended solids removal, dissolved solids removal, biological treatment/nutrient and metals recovery, disinfection/oxidation, and other treatment equipment.
- India is the third-largest producer of coal. Coal production requires plenty of water, and there is a need for extensive wastewater treatment. Clarifiers and filtration disposable equipment are primarily used for the treatment of suspended solids in the mining sector in the country. The COVID-19 pandemic led to disruptions in the mining production rates and expansions in 2020, which affected the adoption of newer equipment for solid treatments.
- According to Financial Express, by 2030, India’s water demand will exceed supply by two times, indicating severe water scarcity in the country. This shortage of water for industrial and residential use is expected to increase the demand for such water treatment systems in the long run.
- Major end-user industries using anaerobic biological treatment in India include municipal wastewater treatment, food and beverage manufacturing, chemical effluent, and agricultural waste. The growing awareness has been driving the demand for anaerobic biological treatment equipment in India in the recent past.
- India’s zinc production has been witnessing growth in recent years with increasing consumer demand. According to the Economic Times, India consumes over 850,000-900,000 tons of zinc each year, with an annual growth rate of 7-8%. However, increasingly stringent environment regulations on zinc production are estimated to hamper the growth of water treatment technologies in recent times.
- Due to the above-mentioned factors, treatment equipment is expected to dominate the market studied.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Municipal Segment to Dominate the Market
- Wastewater treatment is necessary and used across India in different cities. The major applications of treatment technologies include preliminary treatment, primary and secondary treatment, tertiary treatment, biological nutrient removal (BNR), resource recovery, and energy generation. Municipal wastewater treatment involves a lot of biomass. Therefore, biological treatment is a major step used for the treatment of biowaste.
- Wastewater technology is primarily used in municipal wastewater treatment by the municipal authority of various cities across India. As per the World Bank, India, along with China, Indonesia, Nigeria, and the United States, will lead the world's urban population surge by 2050.
- IDE technologies, an Israeli firm, joined hands with the government of Andhra Pradesh to set up desalination plants in various cities in the states to overcome the scarcity of water in the cities.
- To fulfill the scarcity of water, the Council on Energy, Environment, and Water (CEEW), in association with the 2030 Water Resources Group, has been planning to improve wastewater management in India, along with increasing private investments to build wastewater treatment plants.
- Over the past few years, the urban sewage capacity in the country has grown significantly. This growing capacity is likely to drive the demand for the application of innovative water treatment technology in the country.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, municipal water and wastewater treatment technologies are likely to dominate the market during the forecast period.
The Indian water and wastewater treatment (WWT) technology market is partially consolidated, with the major players accounting for a moderate share of the market. Key players in the market studied include (in no particular order), Veolia, Suez, Thermax Limited, VA TECH WABAG LIMITED, and DuPont.
VA TECH WABAG LIMITED
- In July 2020, SUEZ announced that it signed an agreement to purchase the Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane portfolio from a specialty chemical company, LANXESS. The membrane is likely to become part of the company’s Water Technologies & Solutions product portfolio and further enhance its ability to help customers address water treatment challenges.
- In December 2019, VA TECH WABAG LIMITED signed an agreement with the government of Bihar to build sustainable wastewater infrastructure in Patna under Namami Gange Program.
- In October 2019, DuPont acquired Membrane Business from Evoqua Water Technologies Corp. to expand the company’s water technology business.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Rapidly Diminishing Fresh Water Resources
4.1.2 Growing Wastewater Complexities
4.2.1 High Cost of Water Treatment Technology
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Equipment Type
5.1.1 Treatment Equipment
184.108.40.206 Oil/Water Separation
220.127.116.11 Suspended Solids Removal
18.104.22.168 Dissolved Solids Removal
22.214.171.124 Biological Treatment/Nutrient and Metals Recovery
126.96.36.199 Other Treatment Equipment
5.1.2 Process Control Equipment and Pumps
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.2 Food and Beverage
5.2.3 Pulp and Paper
5.2.4 Oil and Gas
5.2.6 Poultry and Agriculture
5.2.7 Chemical and Petrochemical
5.2.8 Other End-user Industries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/ Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Aquatech International LLC
6.4.3 Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
6.4.4 Hindustan Dorr-Oliver Ltd
6.4.6 Mott MacDonald
6.4.7 Schlumberger Limited
6.4.8 Siemens Water Solutions
6.4.10 Thermax Limited
6.4.11 VA TECH WABAG LIMITED
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Innovations in Water Treatment Technologies
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The India Water and Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Technology Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of India Water and Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Technology Market?
The India Water and Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Technology Market is growing at a CAGR of >8.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in India Water and Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Technology Market?
Veolia, Suez, Thermax Limited, VA TECH WABAG LIMITED, DuPont are the major companies operating in India Water and Wastewater Treatment (WWT) Technology Market.