India Cosmetics Products Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
India Cosmetics Products Market Analysis
The India Cosmetics Products Market is expected to register a CAGR of 10.91% during the forecast period.
- Increasing purchasing power represents a key factor influencing market growth. According to World Bank data, consumer expenditure in India increased from USD 1.9 trillion in 2018 to USD 2.4 trillion in 2022, propelling the market demand. The demand for color cosmetics is being influenced as many people unleash the potential of cosmetics in their daily makeup routine. The transformation in the millennial and young generation lifestyle attributed to the increased influence of social media platforms creates more demand for color cosmetics products in the country.
- Consumers are discovering products and brands via advertisements and promotional campaigns on various social media platforms, including Instagram and Facebook. Before purchasing, they consider product reviews, other consumers' recommendations, celebrity endorsements, expert blog posts, and social media comments.
- In addition, with the increasing internet penetration, the online market for purchasing cosmetics products has seen rapid growth in India in recent years. Furthermore, the demand for luxury cosmetics is increasing among millennials and Gen Z consumers, owing to their preference for grooming up regularly to look presentable and fashionable.
India Cosmetics Products Market Trends
Inclination Toward Vegan and Cruelty-Free Products
- The cruelty-free and vegan beauty market has exploded globally and in India in recent years. Cosmetic manufacturers are opting for natural and environmentally friendly ingredients to manufacture products. The 'green cosmetics' trend pushes the need for sustainable and clean beauty products.
- Manufacturers and third-party e-retailers are taking an interest in launching or offering clean beauty in their product portfolio. For instance, in June 2023, the e-commerce platform Purplle launched the United Kingdom's clean beauty brand Dr. PAWPAW in the Indian market, offering multi-tasking lip and skin care products.
- Moreover, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of India has imposed the cosmetic testing ban, which is added to the new rule "148-C. prohibition of testing of cosmetics on animals, such that no person shall use any animal for the testing of cosmetics" in the existing Drugs and Cosmetics Rules.
- Moreover, Therefore, with Gen Z reshaping the market for color cosmetics in India, owing to their broad experimentation with a variety of products and their planet-friendly approach, the demand for eco-friendly, natural, organic, and clean color cosmetic products is anticipated to rise in the coming years.
Booming Online Retail Segment
- Online retailing plays a vital role in the sustenance of the cosmetics market in India. Online platforms help sell and offer a range of product portfolios, and brands can cultivate an identity to promote product launches and influence consumers. Brands are chasing Indian celebrities or influencers to target young consumers through endorsements.
- For instance, in June 2023, Just Herbs collaborated with Bollywood celebrity AthiyaShetty to endorse natural make-up products, including ghee-based lipsticks, foundations, and lip gloss. The brand is online on websites and e-commerce platforms like Amazon, Nykaa, Flipkart, and Myntra. Furthermore, third-party e-retailers are witnessing a growth in sales as the trend of online shopping is gaining momentum.
- Online shopping is a convenient platform for consumers to buy products online, avoiding crowded stores. It gives customers the luxury of browsing and shopping for products 24/7 from the comfort of their homes. Moreover, these websites create opportunities for color cosmetic brands to rapidly shift toward e-commerce platforms that enable these beauty brands to showcase greater product visibility in various rural and urban regions in the country.
India Cosmetics Products Industry Overview
The Indian cosmetics market is highly fragmented owing to the presence of various domestic as well as international players, including L'Oréal, The Estée Lauder Companies, Vellvette Lifestyle Private Limited (Sugar Cosmetics), and Natura & Co. (The Body Shop International Limited). Leading companies are partnering with international organizers to launch their products at several international beauty community events, such as Cosmoprof, Canton Fair, and Fashion Fest. Additionally, the players in the market use other strategies like celebrity endorsements, discounts, and instant offers to position their brands in the market and increase their overall sales.
India Cosmetics Products Market Leaders
Natura & Co.
The Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
Vellvette Lifestyle Private Limited (Sugar Cosmetics)
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Cosmetics Products Market News
- June 2023: Vellvette Lifestyle Private Limited (Sugar Cosmetics) expanded its offline stores by opening its first offline stores in Bengaluru. The company's physical store is located in Orion Mall, spread across 400 square feet.
- January 2023: The Maybelline New York brand launched the Fit Me Fresh Tint foundation. As per the company, the product is a 2-in-1 everyday wear makeup and a skincare fix, enriched with pigments, vitamin C, and SPF 50.
- March 2023: The Lakme brand of Unilever PLC launched its new CC cream product, Lakme 9 to5 CC light Mousse, in different shades in India. The shades include Beige, Frappe, bronze, and almond.
India Cosmetics Products Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables and Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Inclination Toward Vegan and Cruelty-free Products
4.1.2 Influence of Social Media on Young Adults
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Counterfeit Products
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Color Cosmetics
188.8.131.52 Facial Make-Up Products
184.108.40.206 Eye Make-Up Products
220.127.116.11 Lip and Nail Make-up Products
5.1.2 Hair Styling and Coloring Products
18.104.22.168 Hair Colors
22.214.171.124 Hair Styling Products
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Specialty Stores
5.2.3 Pharmacies/Drug Stores
5.2.4 Online Retail Stores
5.2.5 Other Distribution Channels
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 The Estee Lauder Companies
6.3.2 L'Oreal SA
6.3.3 Unilever PLC
6.3.4 Revlon Inc.
6.3.5 Vellvette Lifestyle Private Limited (Sugar Cosmetics)
6.3.6 Natura &Co (The Body Shop International Limited)
6.3.7 Colorbar Cosmetics Pvt Ltd
6.3.8 Lotus Herbals Pvt Ltd
6.3.9 The Face Shop Inc.
6.3.10 Revolution Beauty
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
India Cosmetics Products Market Research FAQs
What is the current India Cosmetics Products Market size?
The India Cosmetics Products Market is projected to register a CAGR of 10.91% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in India Cosmetics Products Market?
L'Oréal SA, Natura & Co., The Estée Lauder Companies Inc., Unilever PLC and Vellvette Lifestyle Private Limited (Sugar Cosmetics) are the major companies operating in the India Cosmetics Products Market.
What years does this India Cosmetics Products Market cover?
The report covers the India Cosmetics Products Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the India Cosmetics Products Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
What are the key growth opportunities in the Indian Cosmetics Products Market?
Men's grooming, premium & niche segments, and rural market expansion are the key growth opportunities in the Indian Cosmetics Products Market.
What are the top trends shaping the Indian cosmetics market?
Natural & organic products, personalized beauty, & e-commerce adoption are the top trends shaping the Indian cosmetics market.
Cosmetic in India Industry Report
The India cosmetics market is supported by an increase in consumer disposable income, the expansion of the retail sector, and heightened awareness of skincare routines. This market offers an extensive array of products such as skincare, hair care, makeup, fragrances, and personal care items, designed to meet the varied needs and preferences of consumers. A notable shift towards organic and eco-friendly cosmetics underscores a broader consumer trend towards sustainability and safety in product choices. The market's segmentation by product type, category, gender, and distribution channel is meticulously analyzed, highlighting the pivotal role of social media and online retail in influencing consumer preferences and fueling market expansion. Additionally, the growing youth demographic, an emphasis on personal hygiene and grooming, and the introduction of innovative products that cater to the evolving consumer demands further drive the demand for cosmetics in India. Insights from Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports project a promising outlook for the India Cosmetics Products market, emphasizing the market's dynamic growth and potential. For a comprehensive understanding of this market's trajectory and key drivers, a free report PDF download is available, offering a sample of this detailed industry analysis.