2016 - 2026
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Global High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market was valued at around 45 million tons in 2020 and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
Due to the impact of COVID-19, growth rates for 2020 were severely affected. The construction industry is one of the major end-user industries of high-density polyethylene. Due to obstacles regarding contractual obligations, resource availability, deliverables, health and safety measures, and project delays or cancellations created by pandemic, the construction industry has been affected badly. However, in the packaging industry, the impact of this pandemic has been mixed. The demand for industrial, luxury, and some B2B-transport packaging has witnessed a downfall. Whereas, the packaging for groceries, healthcare products, and e-commerce transportation were seen a significant increase in demand but the shutdown of industrial plants resulted in decreased production which in turn affected the consumption of high-density polyethylene.
- Over the medium term, the major factors driving the growth of market studied are the increasing use of plastic pipes as substituents and robust demand from the packaging industry.
- Moreover, growing construction activities in the Asia-Pacific region leads to the market growth over the forecast period.
- On the flip side, environmental problems caused by the production and degradation of HDPE is expected to restrict the market growth during the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is a thermoplastic polymer and is a class of polymers derived primarily from petrochemical feedstock. High-density polyethylene has outstanding properties such as tensile strength, resistance to moisture, chemical resistance, and low cost, making it ideal for various end-user industries. The global high-density polyethylene market is segmented by application, end-user industry and geography. By application, the market is segmented into pipes and tubes, rigid articles, sheets and films, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into packaging, transportation, electrical and electronics, building and construction, agriculture, industry and machinery, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market in 18 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecast have been done on the basis of volume (kilo tons).
|Pipes and Tubes|
|Sheets and Films|
|Electrical and Electronics|
|Building and Construction|
|Industry and Machinery|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand from Pipes and Tubes Application
- HDPE pipes and tubes are used in various industry sectors, such as agriculture, sewage, and manholes, marine, cold water supply, mining, fire loops, etc.
- HDPE pipes has several properties like high strength, high internal pressure to withstand external loads, resilience to endure surge and water hammer pressure. It also provides better performance in aggressive soils, low maintenance and operating costs, resistant to environmental stress cracking and earthquakes, lower installation costs and lightweight, impact resistance, and flexibility.
- The pipes and tubes are manufactured under the recognized standards, such as API, ASTM, AWWA, NSF, AGA, EPA, DNR, DOT, CSA, etc.
- There are a number of undergoing projects, which are using HDPE pipes and tubes, in the medium- to large-scale market.
- Moreover, the water control projects and several new construction projects are using new multi-layer HDPE pipes. This may be a new opportunity in the market, since it saves the cost of expensive bedding materials and delivers higher reliability and durability, thus majorly boosting the market during the forecast period.
- Owing to all these factors, the high-density polyethylene market in piping industry is likely to grow across the world during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China is Expected to Dominate the Demand in the Asia-Pacific Region
- China is the largest economy in the Asia-Pacific region, in terms of GDP. The growth in the country remains high but is gradually diminishing, as the population is aging, and the economy is rebalancing from investment to consumption, manufacturing to services, and external to internal demand.
- 2016 was the first year of China’s 13th Five Year Plan. It was an important year for the country’s engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) industries, as they ventured into new business models, domestically and internationally. The construction sector had slowed down after 2013, but it is still a major contributor to the GDP of China. Since 2017, China’s construction industry has been rapidly growing, due to the central government’s push for infrastructure investment, to sustain the economic growth.
- Despite the volatile growth in the real estate sector, the significant development of rail and road infrastructure by the Chinese government to withstand the expanding industrial and service sectors has resulted in significant growth of the Chinese construction industry in recent years. As the construction industry is dominated by state-owned enterprises, increased government spending is boosting the industry in the country.
- China’s construction industry developed rapidly, due to the central government’s push for infrastructure investment, as a means to sustain economic growth. The country stands to be the world’s largest manufacturing economy, and owing to this, the country’s packaging requirement is huge.
- Moreover, the country witnessed rapid growth in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) market. The growth of the FMCG market was majorly driven by the increased spending on premium and healthier products by the middle-class consumers in the country.
- Despite these factors, the lockdown in the country because of COVID-19 has dramatically hindered the building and construction, packaging, transportation, electrical and electronics industries, which are some of the major end-user industries for the high-density polyethylene (HDPE) market. However, with the recovering market situation in the post covid scenario, the growth of the high-density polyethylene (HDPE) market is expected to increase during the forecast timeframe.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The high-density polyethylene market is consolidated in nature. Some of the major players in the market include Dow, Exxon Mobil Corporation, INEOS, SABIC, and LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V., among others.
- In November 2020, INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA announced it has agreed principle terms to acquire Sasol’s 50% membership interest in Gemini HDPE LLC and, thereby, to become the 100% owner of the asset. Gemini is a toll manufacturer of bimodal high-density polyethylene products.
- In October 2020, SABIC has embarked on a pilot project with Schwarz Group, Europe’s largest retail store operator, for the use of transparent film bags made from certified circular polyethylene (PE) in vegetable packaging. SABIC’s TRUCIRCLE certified circular polymers in the pilot project include high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and few other resins.
- In August 2020, LyondellBasell announced that Duqm Refinery and Petrochemical Industries Company LLC (DRPIC) has selected LyondellBasell’s world-leading polypropylene (PP) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) technologies for a new facility. The new plants will comprise of a 280 KTA polypropylene plant that will utilize LyondellBasell’s Spheripol PP process technology and a 480 KTA high-density polyethylene plant which will utilize LyondellBasell’s Hostalen ACP process technology and will be built in Al Duqm, Oman.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Use of Plastic Pipes as Substituents
4.1.2 Robust Demand from the Packaging Industry
4.1.3 Growing Construction Activities in the Asia-Pacific Region
4.2.1 Environmental problems pertaining to the production and degradation of HDPE
4.2.2 Negative Impact of COVID-19 on Global Economy
4.3 Industry Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Supply Scenario
4.6 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Pipes and Tubes
5.1.2 Rigid Articles
5.1.3 Sheets and Films
5.1.4 Other Applications
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.3 Electrical and Electronics
5.2.4 Building and Construction
5.2.6 Industry and Machinery
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 ASEAN Countries
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share / Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Borealis AG
6.4.3 Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC
6.4.5 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.6 Formosa Plastics Corporation
6.4.7 Indian Oil Corporation Ltd
6.4.9 LG Chem
6.4.10 LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
6.4.11 PetroChina Company Limited
6.4.13 China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Ultra-high Molecular HDPE Gaining Momentum
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market?
The High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market?
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
Are the major companies operating in High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Market.