|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Global Online Board Games Market is expected to grow significantly due to increasing user penetration rates in developing countries. North America is one of the largest markets for international online board games. Several factors are now driving the online gaming market. Increasing penetration of the internet and smartphones are some of the key drivers that have driven the growth of online board games in the region.
- Further, the global online board games market will grow at a CAGR of 6.78% during the forecast period. Despite intense competition from offline entertainment sources, the market has been experiencing popularity and acceptance among players.
- The eruption of the COVID-19 pandemic has expanded the market slightly. The imposition of lockdowns across the globe has positively affected online board games as an alternative for people for entertainment.
- Nowadays, Cafes are facilitating online board games events to curb the steep decline in footfall after easing lockdown restrictions worldwide. These cafes in the US region have witnessed a 35% decline in footfall. There are several reasons for the significant growth of the global online board games market, including the emergence of board game conventions, gaming cafes, and nerd culture.
- The increase in disposable incomes has been one of the major factors influencing the growth of online board games in the APAC region. Countries such as China, India, Japan, and South Korea, along with Malaysia and Indonesia, are expected to witness decent growth in demand due to the improvement in living standards coupled with growing internet penetration. Another major factor influencing the increase in the region is the presence of a large young smartphone-using population in China and India. The APAC online board games market is one of the fastest-growing segments.
Scope of the Report
Global online board games revenues include app-based versions of the popular board or card games downloaded from any app store for Android or iOS-based phones.
Global Online Board Games Market is segmented by types (Advertising, In-App Purchase, Paid App) and Geography.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Users of Smartphones
- From 2016 to 2022, the total number of global smartphone users grew at an average of 10.4% annually, with the biggest growth coming in 2017. That year, the number of smartphone users grew by 20.9%. Smartphones are also the most popular type of mobile handsets. The latest smartphone users statistics show that of all the mobile devices being used today, 76.9 percent are smartphones.
- The latest figures show an increasing number of smartphone users year after year. In 2022, the number of global smartphone users is estimated at 6.6 billion, marking a 4.9% annual increase. It is also 2.9 billion, or 79 percent, more than the number of smartphone users in 2016, just six years ago. Reports estimate that global smartphone users will continue to increase and hit 6.8 billion by 2023. With an expected global population of just over eight billion by then, the smartphone penetration rate in 2023 will be around 85 percent. In other words, more than eight in ten people worldwide will be equipped with a smartphone.
- The above factors triggered the download and use of online board games on smartphones for entertainment purposes. Games such as chess and monopoly are highly ended traditional board games. Such a trend of growing smartphone users is expected to bring further demand for online board games in the years to come.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
In-App Purchases is expected to acquire higher revenue market share.
- Revenue from games on Google Play Store and Apple App Store in 2020 grew by 51.3% and 30.2%. Revenue generated through in-app purchases of fun on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store in 2020 increased by 51.3% and 30.2%, respectively, over 2019, according to Sensor Tower's app analytics firm's preliminary estimates.
- Throughout the pandemic, there has been a spike in online board gaming time, with more users moving from freemium to paid gaming apps. Six out of 10 serious gamers tend to purchase gaming apps, according to CMR's recent consumer research for 2020.
- Real money gaming apps, which allow players to compete for cash prizes, also reported similar trends. WinZO Games saw a 10x increase in paid players by the end of 2020 compared to the previous year. Newly released games such as WCC by NextWave and Chess by WinZO have seen massive transactions in the last couple of months.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Global Online Board Games Market has many competitors, with multiple prominent players. Some major players, including Zynga Inc., GungHo Online Entertainment Inc., Nintendo Co. Ltd, Asmodee Digital, Tencent, and Chess.com, are adopting strategies for developing the online board games market like new product development, global expansion, acquisitions, and investments.
June 2022: Tabletop online board game publishing company, Asmodee, had officially announced that they would be producing Netflix board games. These board games would be based on several acclaimed series that have premiered on the popular streaming service, their install base spanning over 200 million users across 190 different countries.
- June 2022: Zynga Inc., a wholly-owned brand label of Take-Two Interactive, announced that Words With Friends 2 is introducing Clubs. This new feature expands the word game’s social experience by offering shared spaces that players use together.
- June 2022: Hasbro is partnering with the New York Times, which owns the online word puzzle, to create "Wordle: The Party Game. The new board game "delivers classic Wordle gameplay, but now in an all-new way. According to Hasbro Gaming, Hasbro approached the New York Times to make a party game after noticing Wordle's online popularity.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Internet penetration
5.1.2 Increasing Users of Smartphones
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Lack of Governmnet Regulation
5.2.2 Online Fraud regarding User Privacy and Security Issues
5.3 Commentary on the Usage of Online Board gaming, By Gender
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.1.2 In-App Purchase
6.1.3 App Purchase
6.2 By Geography
6.2.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Latin America
6.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Zynga Inc.
7.1.2 Marmalade Game Studio
7.1.3 SubZero Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
7.1.4 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.
7.1.5 Hurrican Edition SA
7.1.6 Asmodee Digital
7.1.7 Versus Evil, LLC
7.1.8 Czech Games Edition
7.1.9 Handelabra Games
7.1.10 Tencent Holdings Limited
7.1.11 Nintendo Co. Ltd
7.1.12 GungHo Online Entertainment Inc. ( SoftBank Group)
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Global Online Board Games Market market is studied from 2018 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Global Online Board Games Market?
The Global Online Board Games Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.78% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Global Online Board Games Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Global Online Board Games Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Global Online Board Games Market?
GungHo Online Entertainment Inc. ( SoftBank Group), Nintendo Co. Ltd, Tencent Holdings Limited, Asmodee Digital, Take-Two Interactive (Zynga Inc.) are the major companies operating in Global Online Board Games Market.