China is expected to lead the HVDC converter station market. The Chinese government has invested heavily in developing a nation-wide HVDC transmission system, to minimize the electricity transmission losses between energy generation bases and load centers via HVAC cables. As of 2017, Europe and Asia-Pacific regions accounted for the largest market shares. In Asia-Pacific, apart from India and China, other countries that are anticipated to contribute to a significant demand for HVDC transmission systems during the forecast period are - South Korea, Japan, Pakistan, Indonesia, and other ASEAN countries.
Growing Renewable Energy Sector
The renewable power plants are generally located in rural areas and require long-distance transmission lines, to provide the generated electricity to the consumers. Large renewable power plants, such as solar farms and wind farms, consist of several power generation units and thereby require interconnection of these power units. The HVDC transmission lines incur lower transmission losses for long-distance power transmission and are better suited for the interconnection of different power units, than HVAC transmission lines. The increasing number of renewable energy generation plants, such as solar farms and offshore wind farms, is expected to positively impact the growth of the HVDC converter system market.
Increasing HVDC Investment in China
The Chinese government plans to invest USD 315 billion on the improvement of power grid infrastructure during 2015-2020, with a particular emphasis on HVDC systems. As of 2016, China had completed approximately over 30 different HVDC projects, and a significant number of projects is under construction, which is expected to cater to the country’s growing electricity needs and reduction of power transmission losses. To counter problems, such as increasing air pollution, which was outlined in the country’s 13th five-year plan to 2020, China has been shifting its focus away from coal-based power generation to the integration of renewables. In 2016, China alone accounted for over 40% of the global renewable capacity growth and is expected to witness similar growth during the forecast period. In October 2017, China’s largest offshore wind farm of 300 MW got commissioned, and several new projects are scheduled for commissioning during the forecast period. The demand for HVDC transmission systems is expected to get supplemented from the integration of large-scale renewables, which are located far away from demand centers in the country’s power grid.
Notable Developments in the Market
- May 2017: Siemens and Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd were awarded an HVDC order from the Indian transmission operator Power Grid Corporation of India (POWERGRID), for the supply of a high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission system.
Major Players: Siemens AG, ABB Ltd, General Electric Company, C-EPRI Electric Power Engineering Co. Ltd, Toshiba Corporation, and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, among others.
Reasons to Purchase This Report
- Current and future HVDC converter station market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market.
- Regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- Identify the latest developments and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1. Executive Summary
2. Research Methodology
3. Market Overview
3.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast until 2023
3.3 Recent Trends and Developments
3.4 Government Rules and Regulations
4. Market Dynamics
5. Supply Chain Analysis
6. Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
6.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
6.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
6.3 Threat of New Entrants
6.4 Threat of Substitutes
6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
7. Market Segmentation and Analysis - By Technology (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
7.1 Voltage Source Converter (VSC)
7.2 Line Commutated Converter (LCC)
8. Regional Market Analysis (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
8.1 North America
8.1.1 United States
8.1.3 Rest of North America
8.2.3 United Kingdom
8.2.4 Rest of Europe
8.3.4 Rest of Asia-Pacific
8.4 Middle East & Africa
8.4.1 Saudi Arabia
8.4.2 South Africa
8.4.3 Rest of Middle East & Africa
8.5 South America
8.5.3 Rest of South America
9. Key Company Analysis* (Overview, Products & Services, Financials**, Recent Developments, and Analyst View)
9.1 Siemens AG
9.2 ABB Ltd
9.3 General Electric Company
9.4 C-EPRI Electric Power Engineering Co. Ltd
9.5 Toshiba Corporation
9.6 Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
10. Competitive Landscape
10.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
10.2 Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
10.3 Market Share Analysis
10.4 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
*List not Exhaustive
**Subject to availability on the public domain